Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Ozone Machines and Home Moisture
Page 1 of 3
Reggs
VeteranXX
Old
1 - 08-16-2021, 22:21
Ozone:
Im getting ready to sell a house and got an ozone machine after some reading.

It creates ozone and sterilizes the air with UV light as a bonus. Ozone is what they use to make used cars smell new. It oxidizes any organic matter very quickly, meaning if bad smells come from organic matter, this will help. Since it's gas it gets everywhere, think a gas hydrogen peroxide.

It's not safe to breath at all. Some use it to kill pests. I've used it on a few rooms with many old boxes that had a general old attic smell. Also a section of basement that had a musty basement smell. It helped both significantly and I can see myself using this over the course of my life.

Moisture:
My basement has muggy air, yet no signs of leaks ect. It had some months ago but it was taken care of. I got a dehumidifier that empties the water into a big bucket. I've had to empty about 1.5 gallons of water every day for about 8 days. I have no idea where this moisture is coming from. I just want to make sure it smells fresh and looks nice since it wont be my worry for much longer, but it's a mystery.

I don't understand why they don't just build all houses on stilts like you see in the gulf coast.

In the long run you'd never have to worry about this stuff. People build whole sections of houses into grounds with materials they know will only last so long, then home owners in high moisture area just have this never ending issue with it. Everyone talks about moisture. People see it as just something normal to put it with. If you could build a house just a few steps off the ground it would do.

Sponsored Links
Brasstax
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
2 - 08-16-2021, 22:27
Works great in a car, too.

clu
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
3 - 08-16-2021, 22:30
in the end we all return to ngfm

MC Hamster
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
4 - 08-16-2021, 22:47
Can't build a house like that in cold areas or pipes will freeze. Bringing them into a heated home below the frost line resolves that.

Also, check the drainage around your house for possible improvements to move some of that water away a little better. If all else fails and you need to run that dehumidifier regularly, plumb it into a drain/pump and you're done.

Reggs
VeteranXX
Old
5 - 08-16-2021, 23:03
Also, there is this compartment in the basement. I have no idea what it is. It looks like it was made with something specific in mind.

Brasstax
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
6 - 08-16-2021, 23:05
That's called a glory hole, Reggs.

MC Hamster
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
7 - 08-16-2021, 23:07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasstax View Post
That's called a glory hole, Reggs.
I'm pretty sure Reggs wouldn't have needed to ask if that was the case, Brassy. Maybe it's a different style from what he's familiar with though, I probably shouldn't question you on that...

clu
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
8 - 08-16-2021, 23:25
hamster delivery enclosure

lemon
Sour++
Contributor
Old
9 - 08-16-2021, 23:41
UVALAN FOG MACHINE

Plasmatic
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
10 - 08-17-2021, 03:56
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Hamster View Post
Can't build a house like that in cold areas or pipes will freeze. Bringing them into a heated home below the frost line resolves that.

Also, check the drainage around your house for possible improvements to move some of that water away a little better. If all else fails and you need to run that dehumidifier regularly, plumb it into a drain/pump and you're done.
Exactly this. Houses are built with the dirt sloped away from the house. -If the contractor isn't a moron... Trees, landscaping, and other nonsense installed by the homeowners usually **** that up.

Oh, and I see you sprung for the industrial sized unit. Nice.
Amazon.com: Industrial Ozone Generator 25,000mg/h, O3 High Capacity Air Purifier, Sterilizer and Deodorizer, Q3 Ionizer Machine : Home Kitchen

Reggs
VeteranXX
Old
11 - 08-17-2021, 06:10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmatic View Post

Oh, and I see you sprung for the industrial sized unit. Nice.
Amazon.com: Industrial Ozone Generator 25,000mg/h, O3 High Capacity Air Purifier, Sterilizer and Deodorizer, Q3 Ionizer Machine : Home Kitchen
It's more than I need. This stuff seems more dangerous than it is. Irritates about 80% as much as car exhaust I'd say. The unit I got is overkill. If I'd do it again I'd get one much less powerful. Still a great product to have around.

The ozone turns to normal air after about an hr. There will still be an ozone smell for maybe a day. After that it's a more clean/clear sterile smell. Similar to new car. If any original odor was there, it's much more faint. It presumably deodorized everything in my boxes too, which is extremely convenient.

Reggs
VeteranXX
Old
12 - 08-17-2021, 06:16
As for homes, cold areas aside, all homes should be on stilts. This experience has made me realize that moisture is something everyone has a problem with. Even when I was in TN, everyone talked about it in the basement, in the garage, after a rain. It's just a constant pain point everyone puts up with needlessly.

TN has flooding too. So you will have people get their home flooded with a foot of water, dump a ton of money on their house to get it normal again. Then of course the same thing happens 10 years later or so.

Dr Dance
VeteranX
Old
13 - 08-17-2021, 08:17
Reggs learned all about moisture from ****ing his sister.

ArakAtak
VeteranXX
Old
14 - 08-17-2021, 08:23
Nearly all houses where I grew up are built on small stilts with a crawl space under the house.

Problem is, you don't get to have a basement, they look like a lot of fun. I always wanted one

Dr Dance
VeteranX
Old
15 - 08-17-2021, 09:10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArakAtak View Post
Nearly all houses where I grew up are built on small stilts with a crawl space under the house.

Problem is, you don't get to have a basement, they look like a lot of fun. I always wanted one
Many tw-ers have lived in one for most of their adult lives.

amRam
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
16 - 08-17-2021, 10:17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Hamster View Post

You insulate the pipes. Plenty of slab-on-grade homes in cold climates have drains running above frost line. Skirt insulation around the slab and rigid insulation below protects the plumbing.

Plasmatic
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
17 - 08-17-2021, 13:12
Our cabins are built on stilts and water gets under them and washes the dirt away. The last owner dug out under one for golf cart and toy parking and made it worse. Now there's a lake under there and the side walls are disintegrating.

HumDumpin
ReeeingRainbowXV
Old
18 - 08-17-2021, 16:50
Give it that new-sisterwife smell

Amadeus
VeteranXX
Old
19 - 08-17-2021, 18:33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggs View Post
Moisture:
My basement has muggy air, yet no signs of leaks ect. It had some months ago but it was taken care of. I got a dehumidifier that empties the water into a big bucket. I've had to empty about 1.5 gallons of water every day for about 8 days. I have no idea where this moisture is coming from. I just want to make sure it smells fresh and looks nice since it wont be my worry for much longer, but it's a mystery.
Please have a seat right next to absent on the "I don't understand how water works" bench.

MC Hamster
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
20 - 08-17-2021, 18:43
Quote:
Originally Posted by amRam View Post
You insulate the pipes. Plenty of slab-on-grade homes in cold climates have drains running above frost line. Skirt insulation around the slab and rigid insulation below protects the plumbing.
I'm in Australia where frost lines are something you only have on beer taps (and I'm not a builder anyway), so I'm just going on general understanding here, I'll absolutely defer on this one...

Just wondering though.. drainage pipes and mains are different beasts - mains being filled with water constantly, rather than the intermittent/flowing use of a drain? Also, insulation just slows the heat transfer, it's still going to freeze if it's cold enough for long enough, surely?

Page 1 of 3

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Ozone Machines and Home Moisture

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
ozone