Ability Delay Adressed

RunningWolf

Veteran XV
STAR WARS: The Old Republic - A quick update on Ability Delay

During the development of Star Wars: The Old Republic, we’ve been paying a lot of attention to the game’s responsiveness. As pointed out by some people on the Forum, a very responsive experience is one of the factors that separate the best MMOs from the others. This is something we are fully aware of and take extremely seriously.

Several of the issues brought forth by the community have already been dealt with and you should see the fixes integrated in coming patches, including those coming this month. Every lead mentioned on the forum is being investigated and I cannot stress enough how useful your feedback is – especially when coupled with the level of details found in some of the posts.

So I’d really like to thank the community for this very constructive feedback.

Thanks again and best regards,

edit:I spell good.

Thread should be titled "Ability Delay TO BE Addressed." Fixes (partial fixes) "in coming patches, including those coming this month." Meanwhile we continue to get daily patches to fix our emotes and chat bugs, yay!

Thread should be titled "Ability Delay TO BE Addressed." Fixes (partial fixes) "in coming patches, including those coming this month." Meanwhile we continue to get daily patches to fix our emotes and chat bugs, yay!

I don't think you know what "addressed" means.

I wonder why no MMO developer besides Blizzard has yet to perfect control/responsiveness? Out of all the things WoW has done, that's the one thing every future MMO should copy.

I wonder why no MMO developer besides Blizzard has yet to perfect control/responsiveness? Out of all the things WoW has done, that's the one thing every future MMO should copy.

One of the reasons I'm looking forward to GW2. Seems like they understood people like smooth/precise animations/controls.

Yeah, the emote bug was something that definitely needed fixed.

I'm trying to give Bioware the benefit of the doubt as far as fixing things quickly. Time will tell... before gw2. :)

I was referring to the "emote from vehicles" fix in Wednesday's patch, not the /getdown bug. Meanwhile my alt has a crafting skill he didn't learn, can't unlearn, and can't level up. But new flashpoint in 1.1!

There is a bug where one of the crafting skill from your main will show up on your alt and vice versa, it's not really there, just display bug

hey guys I don't understand why simple emote defects are fixed faster than complex game mechanics I think the illuminati are at work here

They let the client handle most commands and only verify with the server afterward, as latency permits. This is part of the reason WoW is one of the most easily and heavily hacked online games.

Just an example... Remember the loot bug that would leave your character stuck in the loot position until you relogged? That's because looting is handled almost entirely by the server, once the command is received, to prevent item duping.

SWTOR does client-side movement, but most abilities go through some kind of server-side queuing or command ACK before they're released to the client. You see this especially in warzones where latency is a huge factor and the instance server has to deal with a lot of near-simultaneous player commands. Good way to keep people from hacking (mostly), but also makes for terrible gameplay.

Both methods have their positives and negatives.

Also, it looks like the engine doesn't handle button spam or GCD clipping as cleanly as WoW does. Those are my observations anyway...

Client side is by far the better way from a gameplay standpoint. The control you give up (and extra work you have to do policing hacks) is worth it for the player experience, IMO. I seem to remember this being one of the big issues I had with WAR as well. Everything felt really horrible in that game, ability spam wise.

Back