[Halp] WWS Critique

Swamp Kitten

Veteran X
I played in some pretty high-powered guilds prior to TBC--saw everything, tanked virtually everything, and filled the role of a top tier fury warrior. I recently just started playing again and transferred to a small population, low key server because I wasn't about to raid 6 nights week for 5 or 6 hours. I know there are plenty of guilds out there in Hyjal/BT with significantly less raiding time, but I can't seem to find one :(

ANYWAYS, the guild just got organized and we started in on 25-mans (excluding Gruul) about a month and a half ago. This WWS is from one of our last runs taking down LootReaver and Lurker. I know there are places to improve for all of us (I'm the DPS warrior--2h atm).

WWS

Hmmm... there should be a sword rogue in there at the #4 spot... that's weird o_O

This is another one from SSC... our first night of attempts on Morogrim. I was fucking around on trash or not really paying attention that's why my DPS is a little lower than normal but I'm sure there's stuff some of you can pull out of WWS that I can't as I have somewhat limited experience with the readouts.

WWS

Anything that immediately jumps out at you. For instance, our shadow priest is waaaay down the meters and I know his gear isn't terrible, but I also don't know very much about the class and maximizing damage, or at least as much as Smaq might know. I have an alt spriest I use to farm, but that's as far as my knowledge goes :shrug:

I'm not familiar with the fights (nor really with WWS), but it looks like your shadow priest did a lot of dispelling, accounting for his lower DPS.

Uploading a parse to a site like that is much harder to read since it includes trash and everything. If that same person were to create a free account @ wowwebstats.com or lossendil.com and upload the combat logs then it could be sorted out.

WWS

Only thing I gather from that really is 377 ticks of VT but 692 ticks of SW:pain. Unless he's playing like a lock and dotting everything around him up (and running OOM with the quickness) he's doing something wrong. Those 2 numbers should be very close since any mob that will live for 20 seconds or so you'll want VT up first for yourself and your party to get mana returns.

The shadow priest only has 860 spell damage. With that, he should be able to put out around 820 dps. Without the split to see just Lurker, there's no way to know for sure if his spell rotation is what it should be.

The #1 lock is a 375 tailor but doesn't have any FSW.

If you check on the mage forums (search for Mage Triple Point) there's a good discussion about how crit strike rating is almost worthless for increasing DPS with a Fire spec. To increase your overall dps by 5, you'd need about 75 spell damage, or 250 crit rating.

WoW Forums -> Fire Mage Triple-Point (pretty graphs inside)

Ah so I'm going to have to get more people to upload their data.

Alright, thanks :) my mistake
No, he just needs to upload his combatlog to lossendil's website which will automatically sort it by encounter.

For example: Wow Web Stats

Uploading it to his own webspace prints out a generic parse of the entire combatlog so unless he starts logging just as a boss is pulled and stops logging as a boss dies (relogging to rename combatlog after every boss) it doesn't show much. Lossendil accounts are free and it's very easy to do yourself if you were up to it, just be sure to edit your config to extend your combatlog range or you'll have inaccurate data.

all your healers are awful if shamans top the meters for ssc/tk

you dont need 2 prot warriors and 2 feral druids one warrior should go fury.

i dont know if that crappy wws catches everything but if not one of those hunters is survival you need to inform all 3 that they need to l2p

you could use another rogue and another sp. are people dying from your horrible healing? does your healer group run out of mana? if so put the sp in there.

stallia needs to spec affliction and l2p

again in your crappy wws site i cant see debuffs but make sure locks always have coe/cos/cor up

i understand you are just starting ssc but your mages should switch to arcane as soon as they get 2 piece t5

keep hunters out of the melee group. and i cant really tell but are they honestly both marks and not using pets?

Last edited:
I've been playing since release but a lot of these guys have only been playing since the server started, which is post-TBC, so there's a lot of learning to be done.

At the moment I'm the only DPS warrior--we have 3 prot tanks and 1 feral tank... the other druid is "bear" but pretty much spends all of her time in kitty and sits in the melee group.

The shamans are the only decent healers to be found, aside from a couple paladins. One of our tree druids is still learning (he asked me today what MS was -_-), and the other lacks a lot of gear I think. There are zero holy priests on Alliance side. Stallia was an app run, so I have no idea what she was doing.

There are no enhancement shaman to be found either, so generally the melee group (2 rogues, me, druid, hunter) doesn't get a shaman...those 2 WWS reports are actually the first time melee has gotten WF (and from a resto shaman who thought GoA would benefit the group more being as his wife is the kitty in the melee group...who also has a DST--the only one that's dropped). We stuck a survival hunter in the melee group, but I think they all respecc'd marks for DPS or something.

Sigh :/

I've yet to find a good guild that can progress without spending all fucking night, every night, in an instance >:|

Last edited:
I've yet to find a good guild that can progress without spending all fucking night, every night, in an instance >:|

Swamp Kitten said:
...I recently just started playing again and transferred to a small population, low key server...

Part of the problem is right there. I went from a guild that raiding close to 6-7 nights a week on a small server and couldnt down one boss in SSC/TK to a guild that raids 3 nights a week and working on KT. Find a high population server, check wowjutsu for progression, and go from there.

I thought low pops were nice due to the tight-nit community, but all you get is a headache when it comes to PvE.

At the moment I'm the only DPS warrior--we have 3 prot tanks and 1 feral tank... the other druid is "bear" but pretty much spends all of her time in kitty and sits in the melee group.
Get that cat out of the melee group and into a hunter group. Grab some more shadowpriests (we roll with 3 when possible), toss one in with hunters and a feral druid and you have a solid group. That's w/e the BM 3% dmg buff is called, ilotp for druid and hunters and mana for hunters that should be doing top5 damage if they know what they're doing.

There are no enhancement shaman to be found either, so generally the melee group (2 rogues, me, druid, hunter) doesn't get a shaman...those 2 WWS reports are actually the first time melee has gotten WF (and from a resto shaman who thought GoA would benefit the group more being as his wife is the kitty in the melee group...who also has a DST--the only one that's dropped). We stuck a survival hunter in the melee group, but I think they all respecc'd marks for DPS or something.
You don't need to be enhancement to drop totems. The furthest progressed guilds are where they stand today because they stack the raid in favor of DPS. You don't put shadowpriests with healers so they can spam inefficient heals and take forever to kill a boss, you put shadowpriests with the most mana inefficient dps (hunters, mages) so they can kick it up a notch and kill shit faster. The faster shit dies the less chance shitty healers will have of fucking up and letting key people die. Having shaman doing well in healing is fine, some guilds roll with 3-4 holy priests and swear by it as well. We have shaman up there also, actually trees normally dominate our meters with their imba HoT heals with tank-spamming paladins and chainhealing shaman behind them. Since PoM and shields don't get credited to the priest that casts it our token IDS priest is almost always at or near the bottom, but it's to be expected unless we had 2 holy priests and one could spec CoH.

GOA should stay in a hunter group (with that SV hunter), get that shit out of the melee group. Our melee group is *always* War/Rogue/Rogue/Shaman/ and the 5th spot is either our Ret Paladin (with gear and skill the shit IS viable, but only with that) or another warrior/rogue.

We have 3 hunters as well, 2 are fulltime BM while the 3rd switches between all 3 specs (he likes to pad his own DPS as marks, but when learning shit he's normally SV to benefit the melee). Their group is always 2-3 hunters, shadowpriest, shaman (feral druid when possible replaces either spriest or shaman, depending on length of the fight).

I guess a rundown of our standard groups is:
Group1:
MT
Paladin (devo)
Warlock (imp)
OT
Shaman/Tree (for windfury or tree aura)

Group2:
Shaman (normally enhance)
War
Rogue
Rogue
Retadin/War/Rogue

Group3:
Hunter
Hunter
Shaman (resto)
Shadowpriest (rare but occasionally feral druid instead)
Hunter/Warlock/healer filler

Group4:
Shaman (ele)
Mage x3
Shadowpriest

Group5:
Extra healers, extra warlocks, 3rd shadowpriest when possible. Yeah we normally have 4 shaman, we also specifically recruited an elemental shaman so we could get a 4th set of totems without stacking too many healers. If you have fewer I'd suggest order of importance as melee>hunters>mages>mt (based on group dmg output), but if your hunters are SPEDS then let the mages do the damage until your hunters l2p.

The only times we always have a 3rd spriest is for Gurtogg Bloodboil and Essence of Souls because of how much easier it makes both fights. Any other time people still like to have 3 of us but more often than not one of us takes the night off and farms while the other 2 raid unless a spot opens up.

Smaq, I think I asked you before but I'm not sure. When you run with 3 locks (hell even 2 locks), are they all running with imp or just the MT group?

Thanks for the advice Smaq... I push for a lot of those same group changes but my "advice" only goes so far. I'm sure we'd run w/ more shadow priests or another solid shammy for the melee group (usually we only have 2 show), but the server is rather limited in the number of people or players/classes available.

Last edited:
Smaq, I think I asked you before but I'm not sure. When you run with 3 locks (hell even 2 locks), are they all running with imp or just the MT group?
We've only just downed fathomlord, but we put spare imps into groups to get people above 10k hp. Our resto druids discovered the joys (and curse) of primal mooncloth, so they always get an imp.

Thanks for the advice Smaq... I push for a lot of those same group changes but my "advice" only goes so far. I'm sure we'd run w/ more shadow priests or another solid shammy for the melee group (usually we only have 2 show), but the server is rather limited in the number of people or players/classes available.

That's not just the problem with new servers. Bronzebeard is fairly old and only 4% of the server is alliance shamans. The only ones we've been able to find are alts from within the guild.

Smaq do you just rename the combat log each day after the raid is done, or do you trim a section to upload? WWS gives a message that you can't upload anything bigger then 12hours of time.

I have been messing around with their system for a bit, it helped a lot for me to refine my palys tanking build. I just got a account so I could upload to the WWS site the other day and installed Loggerhead so I don't have to remember to start logging now.

For some reason last nights Kara raid only shows data to and including Morose (before I installed Loggerhead), I just started the logging with the command and I already had a little addon to extend the range of the log.

I notice you have a lot of logs so I figured you could help refine what I am doing a bit.

I am looking at more closely now because myself and the raid leader want to know what is going wrong on Illhoof with the chains, we want to know who isn't getting on them fast enough, or if they have a poor spec.

Last edited:
Back