Where do the I put the patch files?

DeadlyRabbit

Veteran XV
I formatted my computer last night and installed Windows 7, before I did that I copied all the contents of the \world of warcraft\patch folder. I did a bunch of google searches and most of the information is outdated. I even tried putting them in the main folder and using clicking the updater, it tells me there are no updates.

I don't feel like having to downloading 7 gigs of files through the wow updater.

I tried a bunch of locations to place the files, I was sticking them in every open spot I could think of, I found new locations to stick them that I didn't even think was possible, with some more people helping out with sticking them in spots the program should be satisfied.

The only advice I can give is that playing with two separate instances of any software only lends itself to errors down the road. I would personally just start the mega download and play in Yellow for a day or two until she finishes.

Sorry :(

I don't have several instances of the game, I wiped it clean to do a fresh install of everything because I was going from XP to windows 7 64 bit.

The problem isn't the wait time, the problem is where I am at we have a 25 gig dl cap, using up 7 gigs of that for one game is something I was trying to avoid.

DL cap on your internet? God that sucks, and I would say I'm glad I don't if I didn't have the creeping suspicion it is a "trend" other companies may be entertaining in the future.

The only stable solution to your issue would be to keep the DVD discs or have ISO/BIN copies of them.

Patch mirrors - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft

EDIT:

Installation tips Edit
The quickest way to get a fully-patched WoW from a clean install is to find a Wrath DVD and run it. The Wrath DVD alone will install all previous patches and get to 3.0.2. From there, install the <anything>-to-3.3.0 patch. There's no need to run the Classic and BC installs before the Wrath install.
If you have multiple locales installed (for addon development or otherwise), you have to move or remove the extra locale folders from Data or the updater will die with a message that looks similar to this:
Cannot find data for {locale} locale.
If you have a US account and install any locale other than enUS, you must edit the realmlist.wtf file or you will not be able to log into the game. The same goes for using the enUS version with an EU account (not that you would since enGB works just fine).
US account with any locale other than enUS
set realmlist us.logon.worldofwarcraft.com
set patchlist eu.version.worldofwarcraft.com
EU account with enUS locale
set realmlist eu.logon.worldofwarcraft.com
set patchlist us.version.worldofwarcraft.com
Manual/split patches Edit
Unzip contents to your WoW directory and double click the file Blizzard Updater.exe or BNUpdate.exe to start patching.
Blizzard Updater.exe and BNUpdate.exe check for ".\Data\{locale}" (the current directory), "..\Data\{locale}" (the parent directory), "..\..\Data\{locale}" (the parent of the parent directory), until it hits the root of the directory structure (where it informs you that WoW must be installed before it can be patched), for Game data (not tested on any paths deeper than "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Patches\{patch folder}\{patch data}"); therefore, you must put the patch files directly in the WoW installation folder or in a subdirectory of said folder.

For example, the following all work for "WoW-2.2.3-to-2.3.0-enUS-patch.zip":

unzip the files to "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\WoW-2.2.3-to-2.3.0-enUS-patch" and double-click "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\WoW-2.2.3-to-2.3.0-enUS-patch\BNUpdate.exe"
unzip the files to "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Patches" and double-click "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Patches\BNUpdate.exe"
unzip the files to "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft" and double-click "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\BNUpdate.exe"

[/EDIT]

Thanks JM5K, there is some information there that will probably help out, I have the Cata dvd that I installed from which I thought would make it reasonable, that isn't the case.

I am in Canada, so dealing with bandwidth caps and the highest internet costs in the world is just how it is. I looked into the costing of the next level of account from Rogers and it isn't worth it, I usually hit just uner 20 gigs a moth with ny brother and I, I make up about 95% of that. I am living with him for the short term and being that Rogers increased the prices of the accounts if we got more expensive package then change it back after I move out he would end up having to pay about $10 more a month for something he barely uses.

If go over this month I will just pay the retarded amount they have set per gig over the cap.

Homie I know where u live; I am in Toronto :D

Call Rogers and ask for retention. They are doing a customer service blitz right now. Say you are unhappy with your cap and want a discount to upgrade to the 60 gig service (what I have). I got 20% off of my entire Rogers Bill which made the upgrade be like... $4 / month? Mention Bell's Fibe service and how you have friends who switched and are happy with it and how you want to keep Cable but not if they won't do anything. They will probably make you lock in for 12 months for the deal.

GL!

Ya I know you know where I live, but I know that Feannag is in the US, most people there have no idea how crazy our prices are for the internet.

I would do that with Rogers if any of it was in my control, but it isn't and even when I offered my brother money to upgrade the account and even more money just to pay for it since I am the only one using it he ignored me. Not worth the hassle.

Back