How hard do you think it is

WOW is easy to start and can extremely mathematical at end game depending on the class and how dedicated you are to being the best of the best when it comes to your roll.

Healing is simple, casing is somewhat simple, melee combat is very complex depending on the class and how it fights. Understanding how wow handes things like crits,special skill procs and which stats are more effective at what points can make or break a good dpser.

eg. hit vs crit, WOW only does 1 roll when you attack... you either hit, miss or crit, thus +crit actually reduces your chance to miss (to a point). Stuff like this has to be taken into consideration when picking your gear.

All of the classes can be played in a very basic way, if a druid decides to do nothing but stay in bear form no matter what is happening, or a warrior that never changes stances. Once you start using all of your class abilities you become more more effective, tossing out a few heals or cleansing as paly dpsing or tanking can make a big difference. A druid that is doing dps but seems times that they can swap to bear or toss out a heal makes 5 mans much easier.

Locks are more complex then most people realize, there is more to a lock then fearing something and tossing a couple of dots on them. Priest healing is very intersting and complex when you get to higher levels and get all the abilities.

Mages, rogues, and hunters are pretty basic classes, if you can figure out how to not pull aggro based on how well your tank holds aggro and do your CC in a reasonable way everyone will think you are good. A hunter that sucks at positioning frost traps is just a dpser, when I tank and notice they do stupid things like drop the trap infront of me I stop marking a trap target.

In all of this you have to learn what stats are important for your class and build, which isn't hard and only starts to become very important at 70 when you are trying to get another couple of % of dps or healing out.

If you want to start playing, then now is a good time to start...

You'll start levelling, then...
Version 2.3 will come out in about a month, which will boost levelling speed...
Maybe some other players will create alts in 2.3, so you'll be able to group up with them.
You'll do a good deal of the lvl 60-70 content.

And then right before you are ready to enter the 25 man raids, the next expansion wil come out. Everyone will be equalized again, and you can level up with the masses.

I think some people misunderstood. Ive been playing mmos forever, and wow since beta. this thread is a general question, not a plea for help.

Only if by "to a point" you meant "not at all".

When you attack 2 rolls are done.
The first deals with HIT/MISS/CRIT(which always hits).
The second roll handles Dodge/Parry/Block.

Thus HIT+MISS+CRIT = 100% (duh)
Hit and crit are defined by your gear so miss is calculated via Miss= 100-(hit+crit).

So by raising hit OR crit, your chance to miss is reduced. This is very important for dual wielders because of the hit penalty that their off hand suffers.

If you want to go all attack power like half the other idiots, be my guest I find it humorous when my healing spec pally can DPS as good as the majority of melee users. :rofl:

Hit and crit are defined by your gear so miss is calculated via Miss= 100-(hit+crit).

So by raising hit OR crit, your chance to miss is reduced. This is very important for dual wielders because of the hit penalty that their off hand suffers.

If you want to go all attack power like half the other idiots, be my guest I find it humorous when my healing spec pally can DPS as good as the majority of melee users. :rofl:

You're kidding right? Just incase you aren't read the below from wowwiki.

Formulas:Critical hit chance - WoWWiki, the Warcraft wiki
Hit - WoWWiki, the Warcraft wiki
Spell hit - WoWWiki, the Warcraft wiki

This has some more info too.
Attack table - WoWWiki, the Warcraft wiki

Never mind I don't feel like getting in an epeen contest :O

Last edited:

Stick to the Paladin, cause you know fuckall about DPS.

You're about as wrong as you can possibly be on the topic.

Having never played a melee class I still feel much more knowledgeable about the topic of hit/miss/crit/etc than your post shows you to be. A rogue in our guild (class lead actually) often will quote something one random idiot posted in the rogue class forums @ WoW as truth and get laughed at because of it, your post probably came from one of his sources.

Having never played a melee class I still feel much more knowledgeable about the topic of hit/miss/crit/etc than your post shows you to be. A rogue in our guild (class lead actually) often will quote something one random idiot posted in the rogue class forums @ WoW as truth and get laughed at because of it, your post probably came from one of his sources.

Well, not entirely - he's right on the single roll system. He just seems dumb.

Back