[TrailerPark] Crock Pot Pulled Pork

Bought too much pork, used half of it to make this recipe, turned out great, although I didn't have the forethought (or the JD) to make the sauce (used some Sweet Baby Ray's I happened to have around). Eating it for, like, the 5th time this week. I like it significantly more than my normal recipe (which involves waaaay too much sauce).

Good shit, +rep

Bump!

Wife bought me a crock pot today and I'm making this shit tomorrow.

Side question: if I make a bunch of that sauce and bottle it, how long could it stay in the fridge? What determines that anyway?

I put everything in the crock pot about 2 hours ago and set it to low. Its a 6qt one by hamilton beach (cheapie)

I just checked the temperature of the liquid and its only like 140 after 2 hours, can someone comment? Should I bump it up to high or something?

no that's fine it will get warmer. unless you had your meat sitting out on the counter for a long time it probably contributed a decent amount of cold to the pot.

the key is not opening the crock pot the entire time, u actually add a lot of time to the cooking every time you open one of those.

ok cool I wont touch it again for another 3-4 hours then

the meat was more or less out of the fridge

Been 5 hours, I flipped the meat about an hour ago. Should I check on it or just leave it for another hour and go to town?

If it doesnt fall apart I assume I gotta let it cook longer? Don't wanna let too much heat out of the cooker..

basically when u can pull the bone right out, it's done

if it's boneless you can press on it and you'll see it coming apart at the muscle seams

or just use a meat thermometer. 190 at the center = done

Just finished inhaling this

I made it almost exactly to recipe except I used coke to cook the meat. For the sauce I used less brown sugar than called for but I still found the end result too sweet... Though the coleslaw I made contributed to that. Also I didn't use the pot reduction in the sauce at the end because it was to sweet on its own.

Overall fucking awesome, but next time I'm not gonna add any sugar to the sauce and I'll probably add a bit more vinegar.

Win!!

i dont make the bbq sauce exactly like that anymore. mine is a little more vinegary, but i also treat it more like a 'base', and thin it out with vinegar/meat jus anytime i use it. a little bit goes a long way.

edit: o yea since i started smoking i dont even add any of it to the meat. i use a pan to catch the drippings in the smoker, deglaze them on the stove with a little water and put most of it back in the meat. then i mix the rest with a little bbq sauce + vinegar and offer it as a topping.

Last edited:
Just finished inhaling this

I made it almost exactly to recipe except I used coke to cook the meat. For the sauce I used less brown sugar than called for but I still found the end result too sweet... Though the coleslaw I made contributed to that. Also I didn't use the pot reduction in the sauce at the end because it was to sweet on its own.

Overall fucking awesome, but next time I'm not gonna add any sugar to the sauce and I'll probably add a bit more vinegar.

Win!!

instead of two cups of ketchup I use one cup plus one cup of frank's red hot
gives it a nice kick

also as a general rule, you should try to never make something the exact same way twice. always change something, otherwise you won't learn anything. that being said, always have a reason for doing it.

Back