WoW + Expansion on Vista 64 Bit?

I'll check right now. I have an install of Vista64 on this computer, but don't use it because it sucks nuts.

Ok, WoW sucks on Vista64. I'm sure I have a few settings tweaked in XP (such as running windowed mode maximized instead of full screen), but the frame rate in Vista64 was less than half of the frame rate in XP. I logged into my 15 blood elf and walked around near the bank in Silvermoon City. In XP, I was getting 50-60fps. In Vista64, I was getting 18-23fps. Thinking I had a bunch of stuff turned down, I went into graphic options and turned everything I can up to maximum (except anti aliasing, which I never played with in the first place). I was still getting about 50fps in XP compared to 20fps in Vista64.

Ok, WoW sucks on Vista64. I'm sure I have a few settings tweaked in XP (such as running windowed mode maximized instead of full screen), but the frame rate in Vista64 was less than half of the frame rate in XP. I logged into my 15 blood elf and walked around near the bank in Silvermoon City. In XP, I was getting 50-60fps. In Vista64, I was getting 18-23fps. Thinking I had a bunch of stuff turned down, I went into graphic options and turned everything I can up to maximum (except anti aliasing, which I never played with in the first place). I was still getting about 50fps in XP compared to 20fps in Vista64.

This is a fairly common occurence (we're a technology company and have been rolling Vista out for a while now) with systems that are only marginally (either from a "hardware itself" or "driver" perspective) compatbile at the time of install.

This is a fairly common occurence (we're a technology company and have been rolling Vista out for a while now) with systems that are only marginally (either from a "hardware itself" or "driver" perspective) compatbile at the time of install.

This is on a system with an Asus M2N SLI Deluxe motherboard, Dual core 4200+ processor, and a 7600GT video card. I would hope that Nvidia and Asus (with one of their higher end socket AM2 motherboards) would have it together and have some good drivers. Apparently this is not the case.

WoW on Vista32 is fine, Vista64 bit will be another story, MS can't seem to get XP64 right let alone Vista64, so good luck.

Back