Chuck Palahniuk's Pygmy is the worst book I've ever read.

Wyrm

Contributor
Veteran XX
This book is complete garbage.
Premise: 13 year old operative from totalitarian country comes to US with a group of fellow agents under the guise of exchange students to execute some manner of massive terrorist attack.
It's an awesome idea.

The problems:
-The book is written in completely broken english.
Sample quote chosen by opening a random page and typing:
Same now, prosthetic glass eye erupt rattling ricochet side water glass, rebound skull asleep pig brother, splash amidst sodium chloride sauce pulverized potatoes, green eyeball gazing contempt at direction this agent
While you can understand what's going on, it becomes damn annoying from pages ~30-end.
-Poor character development. The main character is fucking boring and you never feel any connection with the plot.
-Irrational behavior of characters.
-Boring plot.
-Trying too hard to be vulgar? Lots of talk of sex, vibrators, rape. I'm not one to get offended but it doesn't contribute anything to the plot or characters. It's like it's just thrown in there for the hell of it.
edit: forget to mention: the ending is fucking horrible, rushed, and lazy.
Cliffs:
jay_sherman_it_stinks.jpg

Last edited:
Sample quote chosen by opening a random page and typing:
Same now, prosthetic glass eye erupt rattling ricochet side water glass, rebound skull asleep pig brother, splash amidst sodium chloride sauce pulverized potatoes, green eyeball gazing contempt at direction this agent

Sounds like lyrics from The Mars Volta

I picked it up in an airport bookstore while I was hurrying to catch a plane. I saw his name it figured it would be alright. Only reasons I didn't throw it out were that I dropped $15 on it and I had nothing else to do on the flights.

palahniuks only entertaining book for me was fight club and survivor, and ive read them all.

couple of stories from haunted were interesting,

but yes, he does not have as many great books as ppl make it out to seem.

I quite liked Survivor and Invisible Monsters, though it's not surprising his stuff is getting fucked out. When you try that hard to be that nutty, it stands to reason you're gonna miss the mark on occasion.

I stopped reading his stuff after Haunted. This one sounds horrible and I can't fathom that this

is real. Really? This is really how it is in the book? Really? That's an actual sentence from the book? I just can't believe that.

omg Chuck Palahniuk is Crab

Aren't those Mars Volta lyrics?

Fight Club, Survivor, and Invisible Monsters were all good. I think Survivor was the best. His latest stuff has been degrading.

Back