Google Street View Cars Collected Wifi user data for 3 years by JoMo - Page 5 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Google Street View Cars Collected Wifi user data for 3 years
Page 5 of 5
Backslash
VeteranX
Old
81 - 05-15-2010, 21:08
Okay ****ers. Payload Data, SSID, etc. It's information being BROADCAST. All of it. Analogies be damned.

1) Should you be able to reasonably believe that your information is not being used for unintended means? Yes.

2) Should you have the responsibility to secure your own data? Also yes.

That first point does not preclude the second.

I can agree that it comes off a bit creepy for a company to collect mass amounts of data. Still, You absolutely cannot send unencrypted data flowing out into the ether and then be pissed that someone can collect that data. YOU put it out there. YOU left it unencrypted.

Sponsored Links
Hurricane Harold
VeteranX
Old
82 - 05-15-2010, 21:22
I will construct bad analogies to support positions that I may or may not hold:

You have an FM transmitter. You admit a few very personal secrets over the transmitter, then get angry that someone actually heard it.

Last edited by Hurricane Harold; 05-15-2010 at 21:24..
Teratos
Veteran5
Old
83 - 05-15-2010, 21:24
Your analogy is less analogiss (can I coin that?) than mine.

I wouldn't expect anything better from a Canuck though.

Hurricane Harold
VeteranX
Old
84 - 05-15-2010, 21:24
(Analogous?)

OTOH: Someone is going around the neighborhood with a microphone, randomly sweeping and recording everything. You shout a few very personal secrets to someone on the other side of your front yard, then get angry that it was recorded.

Teratos
Veteran5
Old
85 - 05-15-2010, 21:26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Harold View Post
(Analogous?)

OTOH: Someone is going around the neighborhood with a microphone, randomly sweeping and recording everything. You shout a few very personal secrets to someone on the other side of your front yard, then get angry that it was recorded.
You still missed.

Someone is going around with a microphone and recording things you are saying in your house. That works much better.

Hurricane Harold
VeteranX
Old
86 - 05-15-2010, 21:27
If you have your windows open and are shouting them clearly enough for everyone nearby to hear, then maybe.

Although we could get into an argument on antennas and ****, since presumably Google's is bigger than your average laptop's.

Teratos
Veteran5
Old
87 - 05-15-2010, 21:30
Quote:
If you have your windows open and are shouting them clearly enough for everyone nearby to hear, then maybe.

Although we could get into an argument on antennas and ****, since presumably Google's is bigger than your average laptop's.
The windows are closed (so are the doors and other openings), you are in your house, you are talking at a normal level. I creeper records all of this information with a high-powered microphone from the street. The recording is stored in the creeper's liar.

I have fixed your analogy yet again.

Hurricane Harold
VeteranX
Old
88 - 05-15-2010, 21:35
Again, that brings it into an argument about the collection ability of Google's antennas versus what a person would reasonably expect, which is a good argument.

From the middle of my street with a plain laptop though, I could probably pick up a pretty good amount of traffic going around without an external antenna.

And for the record, I'm not cool with Google's saving this information, and it seems a bit weird that they wouldn't pick up on the fact that they were logging several times the data they should have been. They did admit it, and no evidence has come forth that they've used it for anything, so I'm not sure that I'm "outraged" yet. It sounds like an honest mistake right now.

JoMo
VeteranXV
Immigrant
Old
89 - 05-17-2010, 21:51
Incoming investigations........

FT.com / Technology - Google set for probes on data harvesting

ArakAtak
VeteranXX
Old
90 - 05-17-2010, 22:19
I think it is more akin to them going up to your garage door and wriggling the handle to see if it is locked, then recording who leaves them open and the registration of what is inside.

Last edited by ArakAtak; 05-17-2010 at 22:30..
Respice
VeteranX
Old
91 - 05-17-2010, 23:25
Quote:
Not broadcasting the SSID isn't going to do anything for your security, unless you're leaving it completely unsecured. Anyone who was going to use, say, Aircrack to get into the network is probably smart enough to do an AP scan using something other than the built-in OS network finder.

Good wifi security means using WPA2/AES and a complex (not feasibly bruteforceable) passphrase.
Mostly true. Cloaking the SSID means your computer has to actively probe for the AP. So even when you are away from the network, say at the airport, you are probing to see if your AP is there.

What's the harm? Well, you are probably just divulging information about your network but you could be leaving yourself vulnerable to AP Impersonation attacks.

So while cloaking may not have an impact to the WLAN, it could to the client.

{FSC}Godfather
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
92 - 05-17-2010, 23:48
if your sending any form of sensitive data over unsecured networks you pretty much deserve what happens.

Why is it so hard to believe Google didn't notice 600 gigs of data was it? Thats like a coin in uncle scrooges money bin to them isn't it? Is it that crazy to think they take the car data and put it into some system without people really looking at it as it goes in, so they may never see some stuff buried in there.

Teratos
Veteran5
Old
93 - 05-17-2010, 23:53
All of this "you get what you deserve" talk is ridiculous. It comes from idiots that fancy themselves secure because they know to click the little security icon on their router's graphical administration interface. Yeah, you're truly a modern marvel.

If I run a simple middleperson attack on a card reader at the local checkout line, are you getting what you deserve? Probably. What sort of a retard doesn't know to investigate the equipment. The list could go on and on. The point is that just because you know something about one little corner of security, you don't know a hundredth of what you need to know to protect yourself. Requiring everyone in the country to be a security expert as a prerequisite for protecting their own privacy and security is stupid. It's an idea put forward by people with little knowledge that think they know everything.

Spend a few hours researching security. You will quickly realize that you will never know enough to protect yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMo View Post
Incoming investigations........

FT.com / Technology - Google set for probes on data harvesting
Is this the part where we laugh at all the people that said it was just SSID?

Last edited by Teratos; 05-17-2010 at 23:58..
Page 5 of 5

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Google Street View Cars Collected Wifi user data for 3 years

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
legless dogs , odio is a fucking faggot , odio is a fucking retard