FilePlanet pulled T2?

Zypher said:
If you had any sense of what goes into running a major server of the capacity that the T2 master server has then you'd shut up.

Well, back in the day, Qix bragged about 100,000 people playing, so the master server has actually taken several steps back? If it can't handle more than 5,000 than I just dunno.

Not that I care much anyway, since I don't play T2 anymore, just find it a bit odd.

sYs|yavor said:
Really funny. You seem to don't understand, Marweas. I work as a journalist. People believe me. You (oh, Sierra) said that Tribes 2 will be for free, without mention about specific conditions and limitations. You did your job, you, but now I have to justify before people. Very funny and it really justifies the deep irony in your comments. From my POV, Sierra lost my confidence and next time I will think more than twice before publishing any information from this source.

Good job, nice comment, thank you very much.

That is so F*ing right, Considering that it is May... and I'm sure there are a lot of people like me...

I just finished taking my finals, downloaded tribes 2 and found out I can't even get a F*ing key..

I'm so #%_*&!%&!@% PISSED. What a waste of my time.

Zypher said:
The people that have posted against Sierra are idiots. If you had any sense of what goes into running a major server of the capacity that the T2 master server has then you'd shut up. The Tribes series, games, and community has been one of the best in online gaming, and the thing that I've noticed is that (some of you) trash the company, games, and their reps when something goes wrong. Chill, relax, go outside, take a breath of fresh air and let the professionals at Sierra work this thing out. And unless you feel like you know how to fix the problem by yourself shut up already and stop whining.

What a load of crap, believe it or not, its possible to not stuffup such things and have them work without fail.

Hey I am one of those that got the magazine.. there is no key with it. you have to go to the fileplanet/gamespy site to get a key.. so yes there are thousands of magazines out there but they have to get their key for it the same place the downloaders do..

Thrax Panda said:
Yes. IT is very aware of it. They have stopped taking my phone calls :)

Are these same IT guys going to handle T:V? Is the problem the server code or the guys handling it? If the latter, that doesn't bode well for future products. :rolleyes:

BTW, did Sierra ever announce an official policy on the Linux binaries? I understand Loki returned its interest in the code when it folded, so there shouldn't be a license ownership issue, and a number of Linux users are interested in the free offer.

ScratchMonkey said:
BTW, did Sierra ever announce an official policy on the Linux binaries? I understand Loki returned its interest in the code when it folded, so there shouldn't be a license ownership issue, and a number of Linux users are interested in the free offer.

Several times. It's not going to happen.

1) It was said that the limitations on the number of keys was brought to light after things began to move.
2) It was a freebie...if you must have the game I know of several stores that still have t2, keys and all. Almost comparable price to the magazine as well.

Stilgar said:
1) It was said that the limitations on the number of keys was brought to light after things began to move.
2) It was a freebie...if you must have the game I know of several stores that still have t2, keys and all. Almost comparable price to the magazine as well.

That's what I did.. Coughed up my $9.95 for a box copy of T2. Of course, the manual is now in PDF format on the cd, and the only other thing in the box is the card with the cd key which I didn't need since I already have an account set up from when it first came out.

Menzo said:
Several times. It's not going to happen.

Any more on what the decision process was? Are there still copies in the channel, or what? (I haven't distributed my own copy because I don't want to deny income to Linux game retailers who still have it on the shelf.)

BTW, the next time you guys take an intervew, can you push out some details about server administration? All the T:V coverage is always for the players, and those of us running pubs are very interested in the server aspects. I've been running a UT2004 server lately. How similar will the T:V server be? For instance, will it use UnrealScript to implement server management extensions?

I'd love to see a TVservers mailing list appear before release, for advanced server admin. (I've got a mailman system that can host it if you don't want to host it from Sierra.)

I think it was unacceptable to have T1 unpatched, I was going to go out and get the magazine so I'd have updated T1/T2 on a DVD, but its not worth it if I still have to patch it. :shrug:

lol. i still laugh at how people can biatch about something that is free and blame the people who make tribes possible for stupid shazbot.

i still have my original T1 and T2 cds. i'm assuming most around here at least do. wtf would you complain so hard for a smurf?

Red_Eyed_Cobra, you mean there was not a separate place to get the key from?

I was guessing that there would not be any more keys until after the leftover game magazines reached their "pull" date, but if they all get their keys from the same place, then it does no good to buy a mag just for T2.

Polarhound said:
That's what I did.. Coughed up my $9.95 for a box copy of T2. Of course, the manual is now in PDF format on the cd, and the only other thing in the box is the card with the cd key which I didn't need since I already have an account set up from when it first came out.

If that's the case, send me your spare CD key!

If you didn't need a key, you could have just downloaded the iso from FilePlanet anyway and saved $10. :)

Back