Next expansion rumors (Cataclysm?)

I'm slow but:

* Defense: The Defense statistic is also being removed from items so that players no longer have to worry about juggling around "the cap." Tanks will receive the necessary anti-crit from talents, like Survival of the Fittest.

Please do the same with fucking Hit. Such a pain in the ass to gear around.

I'm slow but:

* Defense: The Defense statistic is also being removed from items so that players no longer have to worry about juggling around "the cap." Tanks will receive the necessary anti-crit from talents, like Survival of the Fittest.

Please do the same with fucking Hit. Such a pain in the ass to gear around.

Pretty sure it is.

From a time-line standpoint, I believe the DK starting area is treated a little differently than elsewhere. It starts 'back in time', well before the events upcoming in Icecrown. With that in mind, ANY race Blizzard adds to the game over the years should be able to be DKs, as they would be treated as having been created at the same time as everyone else.

That could be true, but playing through the starter area there doesn't seem to be any indication at all of a time shift of sorts. Well any indication to hint to the player they're in the past and not "present time" (something a bit odd for an MMO).

To be fair though it seems like the starting area for the Worgen will be a "back in the past" thing where you are shown how Gilneas fought through the curse and the civil war and what not. Maybe they will add in some new effect to indicate that it is the past and re-apply that to the DK starter area.

Hit is not being removed from gear.

You are correct.

Stat changes:

* Armor penetration is being removed from gear[2]. However, some physical damage specs may still be able to gain armor penetration through talents and / or mastery bonuses.
* Attack power is being removed from gear. Death knights, paladins and warriors will still gain 2 attack power per point of strength, and all druids, hunters, shamans and rogues will get 2 attack power per point of agility and no attack power from strength.
* Block value is being removed from the game, blocking will provide percentile damage reduction, which can be increased through talent trees and mastery bonuses.
* Defense is being removed from the game, including both defense rating and the defense skill. All tanking specs will get anti-critical hit talents similar to Survival of the Fittest.[3]
* Haste for melee and physical ranged DPS classes will affect the rate at which energy, rage, focus and runes are gained. Enhancement shamans and retribution paladins will gain talents which allow them to gain similar benefits from haste. It will no longer provide weapon speed increase as it once did for these classes[citation needed]. Haste for casters is unchanged.
* Mastery is being added. Mastery will provide a bonus based on the talent tree which has the most points in it, such as armor penetration or cooldown reduction.
* MP5 is being removed, all healing specs will rely on spirit for mana regeneration. Holy paladins and restoration shamans may get mana regeneration talents like Intensity and Meditation, or the 5 second rule may be removed. Spell DPS classes will no longer rely on spirit for mana regeneration, and spirit will no longer be on spell DPS gear.
* Spell power is being removed from items. Characters will gain spell power from intellect much like how they currently gain attack power from agility and strength.

While I'm sorta happy we won't have to juggle as many different stats on armor, I still fucking HATE hit and having to gear around it. It should be a lot easier to judge if a piece of gear is an upgrade or not with out using add-ons to compare the two pieces. Any clues or speculation as to when this expansion is coming out?

While I'm sorta happy we won't have to juggle as many different stats on armor, I still fucking HATE hit and having to gear around it. It should be a lot easier to judge if a piece of gear is an upgrade or not with out using add-ons to compare the two pieces. Any clues or speculation as to when this expansion is coming out?

I personally think it'll probably be around the late-spring or early-summer of 2010, but that is assuming 3.3 will be the last content patch of WotLK. Likely they have a major content patch up their sleeve for after 3.3, because they won't be able to go close to a year between 3.3 and Cataclysm. Also it seems silly they would plan to release a new expansion in the middle or spring/summer when more people will be out enjoying the weather. And people are more apt to buy and play during the holidays, it would be stupid to miss out on the holiday season when it comes to games and expansions.

Last edited:
I personally think it'll probably be around the late-spring or early-summer of 2010, but that is assuming 3.3 will be the last content patch of WotLK. Likely they have a major content patch up their sleeve for after 3.3, because they won't be able to go close to a year between 3.3 and Cataclysm. Also it seems silly they would plan to release a new expansion in the middle or spring/summer when more people will be out enjoying the weather. And people are more apt to buy and play during the holidays, it would be stupid to miss out on the holiday season when it comes to games and expansions.

My thinking is that they're forcing the move to Battle.Net for everyone and will drop the patch shortly after that. somewhere before thanksgiving (possibly the week before, Nov 17th). After that, they will start sending out Alpha invites for Cataclysm, using the opt-in you get for Battle.Net. This way you can test using ALL your linked accounts instead of deciding which account you'd like to put into beta testing. After that, Cataclysm will drop around march/april (spring break?). If it doesn't drop that soon (which yea, might be a bit early) look for it late May early June.

My thinking is that they're forcing the move to Battle.Net for everyone and will drop the patch shortly after that. somewhere before thanksgiving (possibly the week before, Nov 17th). After that, they will start sending out Alpha invites for Cataclysm, using the opt-in you get for Battle.Net. This way you can test using ALL your linked accounts instead of deciding which account you'd like to put into beta testing. After that, Cataclysm will drop around march/april (spring break?). If it doesn't drop that soon (which yea, might be a bit early) look for it late May early June.

True, but from a business standpoint that seems a bad idea. Usually for games the slumps are usually the spring and summer. In general the weather is nicer, and people go out more (even if they are out of college/school). And on the flip side of that, the holiday season is usually the prime time for putting out games. So much so a lot of companies will simply throw out shoddy/poor titles and earn money because people will buy them on impulse. Why go to the trouble of making releasing an anticipated expansion smack dab in the middle of the slow season of the year versus making a major content patch to tide over until the holidays when sales would be better?

It doesn't make much sense, unless they are planning on another patch after 3.3 or Cataclysm will be SO good it won't matter which time it's released.

That seems way way early for an alpha to release. I'm guessing 4th quarter next year at the earliest for a release date.

You also have to take into account the releases of StarCraft 2 and Diablo 3. They won't want all three coming out at the same time.

You also have to take into account the releases of StarCraft 2 and Diablo 3. They won't want all three coming out at the same time.

True, but I wasn't expecting either of those to be out by Q4 of 2010. And even then you have to anticipate usual pushing back of release by 3 - 9 months on average.

i like how blizz is finally admitting that they have no idea when their games will be done so theyre not even bothering with release dates

i remember when they announced diablo 2 for release in 1998... then 1999.... etc.

True, but I wasn't expecting either of those to be out by Q4 of 2010. And even then you have to anticipate usual pushing back of release by 3 - 9 months on average.

You should, I'd expect SC2 mid 2010. Its been played, tested, and is all but finished from what I've read, just getting all the balance done, theres no way they are going to release that with major issues.

As much as it can annoy me when they announce it will be out it will be out at a certain time, and 10 announcements later it's still not out, if the game is polished I can overlook it. At least when they do that the product that comes out is usually pretty solid, which is more than most companies can say.

I can deal with most of the changes, but allowing all these race/class combinations really irks me. In any case, I will most likely be switching to SWTOR.

Back