lich king leaked talent notes

Starting the DK at 55 isn't so much a favour to the player, as a favour to the dev team. They don't have to balance them all the way through the old world, worry about when to introduce new spells and abilities, or even really have to organize the talent tree relative to when those spells and abilities are available. They can just go about building a class around the end-game, be it PVE or PVP and not worry about the grind up virtually at all.

Take a look at the talent tree for the death knight. In the very first tier it has talents for Ghouls, Diseases, all three aura 'presences', spells called Icy Touch and Mind Freeze, and Blood Strike. That would be quite a bit for a level 10 character, considering that's just the stuff that is talented and Warriors and Druids don't get all their stances and forms nearly that early.

How about Reverse Spell Lock: Any Spell Lock cast on the Mage is immediately reflected back upon the caster plus 1000 damage. Fuck you Warlocks.

How about Reverse Spell Lock: Any Spell Lock cast on the Mage is immediately reflected back upon the caster plus 1000 damage. Fuck you Warlocks.

they should just give you guys something like unstable affliction

molten lava slowly destroys the target, causing 1050 damage over 18 sec. In addition, if eruption of blackrock mountain is dispelled it will cause 1575 damage to the dispeller and silence them for 5 sec

Talents for non-frost mages need to go one of two ways: Much better survivability or much better damage output.

It'll be just like the last expansion. Half the people will level their mains to 80, the other half will be levelling Death Knights (just like Shaman/Paladins in BC).

I don't get the whole 55 thing though. It only takes like 2 days played to get there so it's not like it's a huge favor.

I doubt they're starting at 55 as a favor to anyone other than themselves. They've said in interviews that they wanted to make DKs feel epic by starting them with new and awesome looking skills (albeit balanced lol) and a set of gear. Can't really feel epic or heroic fighting 'you no take candles' in elwyn forest at level 1 or even getting the shit ganked out of you in stranglethorn at 35ish. I doubt anything below 40 (yay mount) would have been viable.

Not to mention working DKs into the lore of the land. Starting a DK in Durotar? In Teldrassil? Elwynn? Outland at 60? Or 70 for that matter? How about starting them at 70 in Northrend? That would cheapen the DK. 55 is nice cause not much else would fit. They would have to start off in a place that makes sense. EPL or WPL are perfect and those are 55ish areas.

Edit: Ratorasniki beat me... that's what I get for not reading on before replying

I hate WPL because you always have to go around Andorhal. EPL's nice though now because everyone skips it to go straight for Outlands at 58 (dumb) and you get it all to yourself.

I haven't read everything out there yet on DKs, will they have 2 starting areas for horde/alliance or a single one a la gadgetzan?

Either way EPL won't be very nice to level in at first. Not only will there be thousands of 12 year olds playing zomgwtfDKftw but also about the same amount of 70s buzzing around making things either very easy or very hard.

I got it, "Talented Mage Food: Become like Emeril and create stat food for the raid."

better yet... add a whole new talent tree called "Culinary" or something where you make various stat food and maybe the 41 talent could even be something useful like pie in the face (like rogue blind) or banana peels (like hunter frost trap) :D :D

they should do an april fools like this

Starting the DK at 55 isn't so much a favour to the player, as a favour to the dev team. They don't have to balance them all the way through the old world, worry about when to introduce new spells and abilities, or even really have to organize the talent tree relative to when those spells and abilities are available. They can just go about building a class around the end-game, be it PVE or PVP and not worry about the grind up virtually at all.

Take a look at the talent tree for the death knight. In the very first tier it has talents for Ghouls, Diseases, all three aura 'presences', spells called Icy Touch and Mind Freeze, and Blood Strike. That would be quite a bit for a level 10 character, considering that's just the stuff that is talented and Warriors and Druids don't get all their stances and forms nearly that early.

hopefully itll piss off the twinks too (one more thing they cant have)

Still can't cast it if I'm spell locked.

Mage armor will reduce spell lock duration to 1.5 seconds.

Actually I wonder if that includes dots too. You'll basically be taking 50% damage from warlocks. Let's see you complain about that.

Last edited:
Rank 1 frost bolt, blink, frost nova, sheep, counterspell. You've played a warlock, you should know what they're weak against. But really, if you want to be good at PVP, you should just respec for pvp.

DK talents pretty much confirmed to be legit. I guess corpse explosion is currently bugged to work on all targets except corpses. :lol:

Does anyone know of a new site with the talent trees? That other site removed all the alpha trees at Blizzard's request. I had a pretty sweet unholy/blood hybrid PvP build made up.

Blood is an extremely good tree. If not for a few vital PvP talents in unholy, deep blood would be the dominant spec, and I expect it will be for non-PvPers.

Blizz is dumb to put corpse explosion in the "PvP tree". An ability that relies on corpses to work is pretty much useless in arena since almost all matches are decided when the first kill is made. Plus the radius (10 yards) is way too small to be effective. Plus raise dead is just an overall better ability. Deep unholy is pretty unimpressive, really. The AoE plague ability seems like an annoyance at best. It's impossible to tell how good the gargoyle ability will be.

The fact is that they'll have to make deep Unholy really good to convince PvPers not to pick up Hysteria in blood. Hysteria + Death Wish + Trinket + Blood Fury (orcs) on a warrior? Ugh, that's scary. If they have a shaman, one windfury proc would pretty much be enough to gib any cloth. They'll make it so death wish and hysteria can't be stacked. You heard it here first.

wooooo theorycraft.

Last edited:
Back