Going back to the office today. by JuggerNaught - Page 2 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Going back to the office today.
Page 2 of 3
Brasstax
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
21 - 08-02-2021, 23:33
Well, if you get a chance, make sure to put a few big dollops of Vaseline on the earpieces of some phones.

Sponsored Links
Brasstax
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
22 - 08-02-2021, 23:37
Ono! THinkgeek dide.
RIP thinkgeek

Man, an annoyatron was the ****

Random weird hard to track noises. Throw that thing somewhere evil and enjoy

mjoe
VeteranXX
Old
23 - 08-02-2021, 23:46
i have a private office in the world financial center (next to the WTC). visited it for the first time today. i can decide if I want to go into the office or not, but it doesn't really matter.

Brasstax
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
24 - 08-03-2021, 00:05
Yeah. It's different out there for sure. I think the meta has changed the world permanently. In some ways, perhaps better. In others, perhaps worse. There are a lot of relationships that have been found through people meeting either at work or going to lunch etc. I feel as if we (society) may lose some of the opportunity to meet partners out there.

Nmag
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
25 - 08-03-2021, 02:33
I was working from hotels, home, gate lounges, and client's premises for 2 decades. The office is the place I'd go to print something big, to have a bit of a swan around and a social chat or to get caught by some marketing dickhead who wants my stupid opinion. The place is best avoided. Now the world has realised we can save a **** load of wasted resources if we have less people in 'the office'.

Brasstax
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
26 - 08-03-2021, 02:42
There are a lot of good reasons to close them down financially. As that happens, it will be interesting to see what people do to replace that part of their lives and how it will change society. People have been "going to the office" for most of the history of the US. It's all changed. Which is what is supposed to happen. I dislike what large cities have become anyway. Although, they have more appeal than strip mall towns.

Also, I have a sneaking suspicion that some of the executives will still congregate in smaller, posher, more exclusive buildings and become even more isolated from the underlings. Funny old world.

LGBR
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
27 - 08-03-2021, 02:59
my company made work from home permanent after a year

its great

Akela
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
28 - 08-03-2021, 03:13
This will do interesting things to the real estate market. Companies have found out that a lot of people can do good work from home so they downsize office space and related costs. piotrr has been working from home for a good year now and nobody's complaining. He can still support colleagues all over the planet as before. The company is already downsizing its office space. Lab workers still need to be on site, but IT staff, most of the economy department, sales and others work from home.

ArakAtak
VeteranXX
Old
29 - 08-03-2021, 04:40
There is a lot of office space up for sale in my city, some of the big companies have closed entire buildings. They are hoping to turn them into apartments, but no one want to live there anymore anyway. It's not close to work, the city is pretty deserted nowadays and you get caught in lockdowns.

They will end up as housing for the homeless and immigrants, the city will be slums and ghettos in 5 years.

Prices in regional areas are skyrocketing and regional businesses can't get staff to meet the high demand in cafes and restaurants, problem is city people on high incomes won't take low paid country jobs, they have bought everything up so the cheap accommodation that used to be taken by low level workers is now gone.

Going to be a real **** show in a couple of years

Last edited by ArakAtak; 08-03-2021 at 04:43..
Nmag
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
30 - 08-03-2021, 05:55
I've always suspected there are a small proportion of people out there who are subcontracting their work out to someone in India but claiming as their own. I've heard some anecdotal stories from people who suspect similar. I think that stuff will grow. Maybe a business TW can make money from?

Dial-a-Brownie. LET US DO YOUR JOB!! Call now. Our workers are ready to do your work for YOU!!!

Mitchdubai
Pooptruck++
Old
31 - 08-03-2021, 06:47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArakAtak View Post
There is a lot of office space up for sale in my city, some of the big companies have closed entire buildings. They are hoping to turn them into apartments, but no one want to live there anymore anyway. It's not close to work, the city is pretty deserted nowadays and you get caught in lockdowns.

They will end up as housing for the homeless and immigrants, the city will be slums and ghettos in 5 years.

Prices in regional areas are skyrocketing and regional businesses can't get staff to meet the high demand in cafes and restaurants, problem is city people on high incomes won't take low paid country jobs, they have bought everything up so the cheap accommodation that used to be taken by low level workers is now gone.

Going to be a real **** show in a couple of years
Yep same in the UK. Wouldn't want to be sitting in an expensive property in London commuter belt with a big mortgage right now. On top of that, to support the market during COVID the government stopped stamp duty (tax on property sales of between 5% an 12% increasing as the value gets higher), so the property market went mad and prices have spiked as everyone rushed to transfer while this was removed. It was back in place from July 1st.

Perfect storm for property values around cities to take a massive **** and thousands of people in negative equity.

psc777
VeteranXX
Old
32 - 08-04-2021, 11:54
My Job has decided to make my department fully remote. I took advantage of that **** and moved my ass out of Chicagoland to Eastern Tennessee. Best move I ever made!

Brasstax
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
33 - 08-04-2021, 12:02
That's the distilled spirit!

Brasstax
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
34 - 08-04-2021, 12:04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmag View Post
I've always suspected there are a small proportion of people out there who are subcontracting their work out to someone in India but claiming as their own. I've heard some anecdotal stories from people who suspect similar. I think that stuff will grow. Maybe a business TW can make money from?

Dial-a-Brownie. LET US DO YOUR JOB!! Call now. Our workers are ready to do your work for YOU!!!
Oh yeah - there has been at least one case reported in the news.
https://abcnews.go.com/Business/us-s...ry?id=18230346

Quote:
Jan. 17, 2013 ***8212; -- A software developer was busted for outsourcing his job to a programmer in China while he surfed the Web at work.

The case was described by Andrew Valentine, a principal with Verizon Enterprise Solutions, who published a blog post about the incident.

"We've seen plenty of employee misconduct cases, but not typically like this," Valentine told ABC News of his consulting caseload, which includes large scale data breach events.

Valentine's team was contacted by another company based in the U.S. for assistance over "anomalous activity" it noticed in records of employees logging remotely into the company's IT system.

Verizon Enterprise Solutions is not releasing the name of the company or the employee.

The company's security team eventually found that someone was logging in from Shenyang, China with the American employee's credentials -- while that employee was staring at a computer monitor in his U.S. office.

In his blog, Valentine described the employee as being in his mid-40s with a "relatively long tenure with the company, family man, inoffensive and quiet. Someone you wouldn't look at twice in an elevator."

A search of the employee's computer found hundreds of PDF invoices from a third party contractor/developer from Shenyang.

Eventually, it was discovered that the employee had outsourced his own job to a Chinese consulting firm, paying about $50,000 to the firm out of his salary of several hundred thousand dollars.

Once on-site, Valentine said it took about two days for investigators to collect relevant evidence and put all the pieces together.

In the blog, Valentine wrote that according to his Web browsing history, "a typical 'work day'" for the employee looked like the following:

9:00 a.m. ***8211; Arrive and surf Reddit for a couple of hours. Watch cat videos

11:30 a.m. ***8211; Take lunch

1:00 p.m. ***8211; EBay time.

2:00 ***8211; ish p.m. - Facebook updates ***8211; LinkedIn

4:30 p.m. ***8211; End of day update e-mail to management.

5:00 p.m. ***8211; Go home

The employee had sent his company log-in key through FedEx to China so that the third-party contractor could log in under his credentials during his workday.

The "best part" of the story is that "for the last several years in a row he received excellent remarks" in his performance review, Valentine wrote in the blog.

"His code was clean, well written, and submitted in a timely fashion. Quarter after quarter, his performance review noted him as the best developer in the building."

Valentine said the employee was terminated for violating internal company policy.

"The employee denied everything at first, but then changed his story once we produced the invoices that were recovered from deleted disk space," Valentine told ABC News.

"Honestly? I thought it was pretty clever. I think he took a calculated risk by knowingly violating company policy, for sure -- but it was clever."

Valentine said that if he was even cleverer, he would have set up a server at home, or somewhere else off-site, for the Chinese consulting firm to access. Then he could proxy their traffic, making it appear that the traffic was coming from his home.

"That would have been a smarter way to go about it. But yes, either way, pretty clever," Valentine said.

Zanthious
Tribalwar Admin
Old
35 - 08-04-2021, 21:38
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGBR View Post
my company made work from home permanent after a year

its great
after putting all this **** together to deal with covid my company is realizing they can save like 10 mil/month closing all the pointless remote offices. lol

Brasstax
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
36 - 08-04-2021, 23:47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanthious View Post
after putting all this **** together to deal with covid my company is realizing they can save like 10 mil/month closing all the pointless remote offices. lol
HR staff are changing gears.

DocHolliday
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
37 - 08-05-2021, 17:05
Changed positions recently at work. New job I either work from home or travel. Me like so far.

Brasstax
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
38 - 08-06-2021, 04:29
Companies are now requiring pitch shifters and audio filters to help stop men from using deep voices and intonation to sound authoritative during Teams/Zoom meetings. Some users have reported feeling uncomfortable and threatened by the male voice.

Not really. But...

Mitchdubai
Pooptruck++
Old
39 - 08-06-2021, 04:32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasstax View Post
Companies are now requiring pitch shifters and audio filters to help stop men from using deep voices and intonation to sound authoritative during Teams/Zoom meetings. Some users have reported feeling uncomfortable and threatened by the male voice.

Not really. But...
How bored do you have to be to post any old nonsensical ****e at 1:30 AM? Go to bed Brass****.

Brasstax
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
40 - 08-06-2021, 04:41
TW is kinda like a thought ****ter.

Page 2 of 3

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Going back to the office today.

Social Website Bullshit