Washing machines these days

So our 25 year old Whirlpool washer has an issue I can fix, but after taking a look and realizing how gross (mold) the insides are we are thinking of getting a new set.

I want a no frills commercial quality set. No fancy screens, settings, etc. Reading reviews is damn near impossible to know what to get. Anyone around here familiar with modern washers/dryers and know what is heavy duty and built to just last. Like I said no frills. No efficiency bullshit that barely gets the clothes wet. I wanna toss whatever I want in there and know its getting cleaned.

Watch this. He's an appliance repair man who has seen it all. His brother owns a laundromat too.

top loader? front loader? any special options? (steam, santize, etc)

What kind of money are you wanting to spend

There is a guy on Youtube who does speed queen (and other) reviews
He films all the cycles with the lid removed, also does a check on the rigidity and weak points.

The Speed Queen is over $5k here but I still wish I had bought it. I bought a $1k Whirlpool which has been replaced under warranty after 6 months, the second one is making some weird noises already. Otherwise a good wash though, nice and simple.

The best I ever had was a second hand Hoover 620 from the late 70's. After about 10 years I replaced the gearbox and the main shaft with a full stainless version. No circuit boards or electronics as such, just relays and those rotary timer switches like in the old space rockets.
I had to get rid of it because it wouldn't fit in my new house, shame b/c that thing would still be going now.

found one - look at the awesome lint filter at the top :)

Last edited:
tbh if I had the room I would buy these bad boys tomorrow
(digital gives more options for soaking, delayed start and whatnot)

Reading this thread I can't help thinking about the issues that were discussed some 20 years ago. You guys have really grown up. Btw, I agree with Doc. Keep it as simple as possible and it will last longer. My mom had a washer that lasted 40 years.

Almost all, if not all of the new washing machines are trash for one simple reason: government regulation. They use so little water that they barely wash your clothes at all. Some are more egregious and some are less, but they're all shit.

Maybe you can get the old style top-loading spinner with the large agitator and it'll probably waste water, but that's better than washing like shit.

Our front-loader seems to be reasonable, but the previous two were fucking horrid. You would sometimes get the load out and realize that all of the clothing/whatever was even wet. It was ridiculous.

There are ways to trick the machine into thinking there is more of a load in there, so it will use more water, but not all can be tinkered with and ours wasn't.

Long story short: nanny-state nonsense ruined good washers. Modern washers SHOULD be great, but they're shit.

Regarding the less water thing, what you do is put the machine on the bedding cycle and it will add more water.

Electrolux - 2nd rated brand in the USA. 9 years old. The drum is rubbing the tub. I've got it taken apart and working on figuring out why.

The entire tub/drum will come forward out of the machine, then I can take apart the tub.
IMG_2549.JPG

IMG_2550.JPG

Back in 2013 each machine cost me $1079 and the pedestal was $124 at Home Depot.
Today the newest model costs $1214 and the pedestal is $148. The 763 number is what you're looking for when searching. That's the series, the higher the number the more features it has. For example, the newest model will mix the soap with water before putting it in the machine which is supposed to clean better.

Washer - ELFW763
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Electrolux-4-5-cu-ft-High-Efficiency-Stackable-Front-Load-Washer-in-Titanium-with-SmartBoost-ENERGY-STAR-ELFW7637AT/318268534
Dryer - ELFE7637AT
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Electrolux-27-in-W-8-cu-ft-Front-Load-Electric-Dryer-with-Perfect-Steam-and-LuxCare-Dry-System-ENERGY-STAR-in-Titanium-ELFE7637AT/318207113
Pedistal EPWD257UTT
The Home Depot Logo

If I want to upgrade to the newest models it would cost about 3k. They make you buy new hoses, vent tube, and 220 plug for the dryer.

I'm going to take apart the tub and figure out why it's rubbing. The good news in all of this is there are YT videos that explain how to do it. If the tub and drum are dirty and can't be cleaned, then I'll get a new washer. I like Electrolux, they are a Swedish company and the machine has been great.

Last edited:
front loaders are slow, stinky and full of mould
Bolt a computer fan on the back of the machine and plug it into a power strip. My fan blows air into the tube leading to the soap dispenser, and the air circulates around the tub drying it. After each wash I dry out the water left in the soap dispenser, dry the door, the drum, and bellow. I run a cleaning cycle when the machine tells me. I don't have a problem with the mold and smell, but I'm going to see how bad it is when I get the tub out and take it apart.

There is a GE machine that has vents around the door.
GE - GFW850
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-5-0-cu-ft-Smart-Sapphire-Blue-Front-Load-Washer-with-OdorBlock-UltraFresh-Vent-System-with-Sanitize-and-Allergen-GFW850SPNRS/311972521

Last edited:
exactly, they are mouldy and smelly unless you modify the hell out of them and then always clean and dry every time you use.

which comes under the category of shit people don't need to be doing

We have a Bosch front loader. Wife chases bargains and got a 2nd hand online thing. Has a scratch or dent or something on the side. I've never notice it. Works well. A friend had a business with laundromats. They used Maytag.. apparently they make heavy duty washers.

I also have Bosch and they have been great

can't help u bruh, i use speed queen @ the hood laundromat or my mom's kenmore (rebadged maytag) from 1988

get a top loader maytag or if u happen 2 live near the world's last sears get the kenmore at steep discount b/c those retards r desperate 2 sell anything

exactly, they are mouldy and smelly unless you modify the hell out of them and then always clean and dry every time you use.

It takes me 3 minutes to clean mine once im done doing my laundry. once a month i run the clean mode and then drain it.

the ONLY thing i trip out on with mine is "oh, SHIT!! i forgot i did a load of laundry. NASHHHHHHH!!!!" thankfully, that's only happened once and it took me several hours to clean the fucker.

samwell working overtime 2 give himself peace of mind over spending bigly on the wrong shit

top load today
top load tomorrow
top load forever

We ended up getting a Maytag set. Guess Whirlpool owns Maytag now. Bought them out years ago.

Top loaded washer, full size agitator and it has an option to fill the tub. They can call it an efficiency model since it uses less water in normal mode, but one setting change lets you cheat that and use more water so you can actually clean dirty clothes.

Paid $1470 for both.

What? I have Samsung front loaders and I never have a mold problem and I never clean it. For the washing machine all you have to do is prop the door open with a folded towel and open the soap holder after cycle and it never molds or mildews or smells in the tub area. Never keep the door closed completely when you're not using it and it dries out completely quickly

Back