Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Networking Question
Page 1 of 2
Alvarez
VeteranXX
Old
1 - 03-03-2024, 17:27
This may be stupid and I am fine with that heh. I have an RT-AC5300 the wireguard VPN support on it is pretty much nill. Is it absurd to set up a Linux computer with 2 network cards connected to my modem runnin WireGuard and share the internet with my router and then the rest of the home?

Any downfalls to this? I have plenty of fast enough computers not being used and network cards etc. Seems useless to buy another router with WireGuard when the one I have works great plus this would be less stress on it from runnin a VPN.

Sponsored Links
HaPpY
VeteranXX
Old
2 - 03-03-2024, 17:30
just use a private torrent, then u dont need vpn

Alvarez
VeteranXX
Old
3 - 03-03-2024, 17:32
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaPpY View Post
just use a private torrent, then u dont need vpn
I use IPTorrents not so worried about torrents.

Nomad
Cheap Bastard++
Contributor
Old
4 - 03-03-2024, 17:52
No downfall. Setting up a Linux computer with two network cards to run WireGuard and share the internet with your router and the rest of your home is indeed a feasible approach. Let***8217;s break it down:

Linux Computer Configuration:
Install WireGuard on your Linux computer.
Set up two network interfaces: one connected to your modem (external interface) and the other connected to your router (internal interface).
Configure WireGuard to use the external interface for internet access.

Router Configuration:
Your router (the RT-AC5300) will act as a client to connect to your Linux computer***8217;s WireGuard server.
Configure the router***8217;s WireGuard client settings to point to your Linux computer***8217;s public IP address.

Routing and Firewall Rules:

Ensure proper routing and firewall rules on both the Linux computer and the router.
The Linux computer should forward traffic from the internal interface to the external interface.
The router should route traffic through the WireGuard tunnel to the Linux computer.

Home Network Access:
Once the router establishes a WireGuard connection to your Linux computer, devices on your home network can access the internet securely via the tunnel.
The Linux computer acts as a gateway, forwarding traffic between the router and the external network.

Considerations:
Make sure your Linux computer has a static IP address or a reliable dynamic DNS (DDNS) setup.
Regularly update your Linux system and keep WireGuard up to date.
Test the setup thoroughly to ensure proper functionality.
Remember that this approach involves some manual configuration, but it can be a viable solution if your router***8217;s built-in WireGuard support is limited. Keep in mind that while it***8217;s not absurd, it does require technical expertise and careful setup. Good luck! ***65533;***65533;

lemon
Sour++
Contributor
Old
5 - 03-03-2024, 18:38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
No downfall. Setting up a Linux computer with two network cards to run WireGuard and share the internet with your router and the rest of your home is indeed a feasible approach. Let’s break it down:

Linux Computer Configuration:
Install WireGuard on your Linux computer.
Set up two network interfaces: one connected to your modem (external interface) and the other connected to your router (internal interface).
Configure WireGuard to use the external interface for internet access.

Router Configuration:
Your router (the RT-AC5300) will act as a client to connect to your Linux computer’s WireGuard server.
Configure the router’s WireGuard client settings to point to your Linux computer’s public IP address.

Routing and Firewall Rules:

Ensure proper routing and firewall rules on both the Linux computer and the router.
The Linux computer should forward traffic from the internal interface to the external interface.
The router should route traffic through the WireGuard tunnel to the Linux computer.

Home Network Access:
Once the router establishes a WireGuard connection to your Linux computer, devices on your home network can access the internet securely via the tunnel.
The Linux computer acts as a gateway, forwarding traffic between the router and the external network.

Considerations:
Make sure your Linux computer has a static IP address or a reliable dynamic DNS (DDNS) setup.
Regularly update your Linux system and keep WireGuard up to date.
Test the setup thoroughly to ensure proper functionality.
Remember that this approach involves some manual configuration, but it can be a viable solution if your router’s built-in WireGuard support is limited. Keep in mind that while it’s not absurd, it does require technical expertise and careful setup. Good luck! ***65533;***65533;
paging juggs for confirmation

FiEND
VeteranXX
Old
6 - 03-03-2024, 18:44
Put custom firmware on the router

SeVeReD
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
7 - 03-03-2024, 18:53
Yes I too expected this was a Juggs thread.
Now I'm expecting his expert opinion.

SeVeReD
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
8 - 03-03-2024, 18:58
PS
What Nomad said

Zanthious
Tribalwar Admin
Old
9 - 03-03-2024, 18:58
setting up a 2 nic linux server is how most mad leet dudes did back in the day. its still feasible if you want to put the effort in. Atleast you will control it 100% past ur modem.

FiEND
VeteranXX
Old
10 - 03-03-2024, 20:17
Can also buy a soft router from Amazon but custom firmware on router is still best.

JuggerNaught
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
11 - 03-03-2024, 20:24
I have nothing to add to what Nomad said. He is correct

Alvarez
VeteranXX
Old
12 - 03-03-2024, 22:39
Thanks guys! I have a lot of networking in my past but WireGuard is newer and I am learning it. OpenVPN I knew could be done this way but there are thousands of threads saying true WireGuard at 1gb is not actually possible by commercial routers. Plus I guess OpenWRT kind of abandoned the RT-AC5300 and the current version with Wireguard has a bunch of vulnerabilities, and only the AX routers have WireGuard under AsusWRT.

My monkey brain said run it on a separate computer and serve it to the router. Internal network with the 5300 LAN will be 10G between my desktop and my server and 1G for most other clients. WAN will be wireguarded and 1gb connection.

Hopefully the best of both worlds.

lemon
Sour++
Contributor
Old
13 - 03-03-2024, 22:47
y do u need a vpn citizen

SeVeReD
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
14 - 03-03-2024, 23:30
Nikki Haley wants to know who you are.

Nomad
Cheap Bastard++
Contributor
Old
15 - 03-04-2024, 07:17
FYI, I typed the OP into Microsoft CoPilot and the gibberish it produced was what i copy/pasted.

Thank your AI overlords

consultant
VeteranXX
Old
16 - 03-04-2024, 07:34
Old school sometimes is still the best.

Alvarez
VeteranXX
Old
17 - 03-04-2024, 08:41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
FYI, I typed the OP into Microsoft CoPilot and the gibberish it produced was what i copy/pasted.

Thank your AI overlords
Yea I searched like 15 different ways and mostly found tutorials on how to install a VPN on my router lol.

I could not find a clear answer out there

Alvarez
VeteranXX
Old
18 - 03-23-2024, 17:41
I built the server out of spare parts still not a bad computer Ryzen 1800x build. Not a big surprise with everyone saying it would work well, but once I navigated installing the wireguard service I got the custom file from proton and it configured and worked out the gate and has been running the whole house for like 2 weeks solid.

My plex server currently isn't available outside of the house which I expected so I plan to just run it into the built in router on my cable modem (finally a legitimate use for that stupid 3 port router)

groove
VeteranXX
Old
19 - 03-23-2024, 19:29
freshtomato firmware will do this on the router afaik

lemon
Sour++
Contributor
Old
20 - 03-23-2024, 19:32
are you sure it's plugged in

check that first and call me back