Crysis 2 leaked 49 days early. by LordMelkor - Page 7 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Crysis 2 leaked 49 days early.
Page 7 of 7
DrMeithos
VeteranX
Old
121 - 02-17-2011, 04:31
Why is it bad for the consumer if the gaming industry becomes more like the movie industry? How is it doing that, anyway?

Sponsored Links
ZOD
VeteranX
Old
122 - 02-17-2011, 04:40
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMeithos View Post
Why is it bad for the consumer if the gaming industry becomes more like the movie industry? How is it doing that, anyway?
Do you like the idea of the first sale doctrine? Do you like fair use? Did you like having to subsidize hollywood? (Hollywood gets bailout break - Entertainment News, Business News, Media - Variety - Getting a cut of the bailout? - Los Angeles Times). Are you a fascist?

Tappy
VeteranX
Old
123 - 02-17-2011, 04:41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanox View Post
Unfortunately for the industry, not every game can be a Halflife 2.

EA incurs $322 million loss in Q3, 22% of employees in 'low cost locations' | Joystiq
Sounds like project $10 is really the savior of the gaming industry.

DrMeithos
VeteranX
Old
124 - 02-17-2011, 04:47
first sale doctrine: are you asking me if I think it should be legal to pirate software? No, I'd rather see game companies make a lot of money so they can make better games.

Bailouts are just business as usual nowadays. Every other industry asks for tax breaks.

(i don't know what fair use means )

Bump
Unregistered
Old
125 - 02-17-2011, 04:49
and you want to go to law school...?

****ing retard. join the military again and go die in iraq already.

ZOD
VeteranX
Old
126 - 02-17-2011, 04:53
Quote:
first sale doctrine: are you asking me if I think it should be legal to pirate software? No, I'd rather see game companies make a lot of money so they can make better games.

(i don't know what fair use means )
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._Sale_Doctrine

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...air_use_rights

You're welcome.

Quote:
Bailouts are just business as usual nowadays. Every other industry asks for tax breaks.
So corporate Welfare good, welfare for citizens bad?

Oh and another question..

Do you like Cartels and price fixing? RealNetworks: MPAA Is ***8216;Price-Fixing Cartel***8217; | Threat Level | Wired.com

DrMeithos
VeteranX
Old
127 - 02-17-2011, 05:13
zod, I was just talking about video games vs movies. I didn't think you were going to get into some bigass philosophical debate about something I don't know much about (copyright law).

Anyway, what's your point? You think it'll be better for us, the consumers, if we single-out the video game industry and say no tax breaks for your R&D, and make piracy legal?

ZOD
VeteranX
Old
128 - 02-17-2011, 05:22
Quote:
zod, I was just talking about video games vs movies. I didn't think you were going to get into some bigass philosophical debate about something I don't know much about (copyright law).

Anyway, what's your point? You think it'll be better for us, the consumers, if we single-out the video game industry and say no tax breaks for your R&D, and make piracy legal?
Nothing I posted has anything to do with piracy other than the industry being a major cause of it due to their business practices. I'm not singling out the movie industry, it's just the closest to the game industry in terms of market and product, it's all entertainment.

Having a few huge players in a market is bad for the consumer and it doesn't matter what the market is. It is anti-competitive which leads to higher prices and more usage restrictions.

DrMeithos
VeteranX
Old
129 - 02-17-2011, 05:38
Yeah I agree w/ that to an extent. More competition is better. But, if EA is losing hundreds of millions of dollars, but they're putting out some really good games, maybe their price is right. If it's not, they'll go out of business.

As gamers age and there becomes more big demographics to tend to, I think we'll get more variety in game designers and more competition. But, it seems like any other major industry. New comers need to start small, and there's been a ton of great games by small developers.

Trials HD - RedLynx
Scribblenauts - Warner Bros (not really a game maker)
Limbo - Playdead
Shank - Klei
Castle Crashers - The Behemoth
Super Meat Boy - Team Meat

Last edited by DrMeithos; 02-17-2011 at 05:41..
ZOD
VeteranX
Old
130 - 02-17-2011, 06:16
Quote:
Yeah I agree w/ that to an extent. More competition is better.
Well then my work is done here

Quote:
But, if EA is losing hundreds of millions of dollars, but they're putting out some really good games, maybe their price is right. If it's not, they'll go out of business.
I hope so, they are no better than Bank of America in terms of morality.

Quote:
As gamers age and there becomes more big demographics to tend to, I think we'll get more variety in game designers and more competition. But, it seems like any other major industry. New comers need to start small, and there's been a ton of great games by small developers.

Trials HD - RedLynx
Scribblenauts - Warner Bros (not really a game maker)
Limbo - Playdead
Shank - Klei
Castle Crashers - The Behemoth
Super Meat Boy - Team Meat
Things are going to be very interesting this century in the entertainment industry due to technology which has enabled these independents to thrive. Imagine completely digital movies, no actors making 10 million per film, no sets to build, in 3d lifelike realism and interactive.

Animo
VeteranXX
Old
131 - 02-17-2011, 07:38
this probably got leaked because they weren't paying someone on their payrolls enough money, not because of some hacker

luvz2spooge
Veteran++
Old
132 - 02-17-2011, 09:45
look to steam and facebook for the proper way to sell games.
IE: fair prices and ease of access.

I'm not going to spend 60$ for a half finished game that you need to buy three dlc's to complete. Especially when they had the full game ready to go but only sell you half of it at a time.

Reggs
VeteranXX
Old
133 - 02-17-2011, 10:36
DLC is not always a bad thing. It's fair a vast majority of the time. Steam is just a platform and has no bearing on DLC at all.

Dragon Age was a huge game on it's own. It also had a ton of DLC. It was also on steam.

And lets not kid ourselves, this kind of leaking and justification of piracy was pretty common back when there was absolutely NO dlc, and games cost $40 at launch.

luvz2spooge
Veteran++
Old
134 - 02-17-2011, 11:06
Well from personal experience I've spent more money on "free2play" games than I have on any others. Simply because I have the choice to try it and see if I like it before I commit.
That being said I support developers who make great products and don't treat me like an idiot, by trying to sell me hype and gimmick.

I admit that I'm a filthy pirate, but I have always bought the games that I liked and the ones that I didnt get deleted within the first few hrs of play.

It may not seem ethical to some, but is it any less ethical to sell products that are intentionally handicapped and stripped of content so that greedy corporations can resell them over and again?
If they would be reasonable about the price or forthcoming about the gameplay it wouldn't be a problem, But I'm not going to give them $60 for half a game, then another $20 each few months while they slowly release the rest of the content that was ready to ship to begin with.

Got Haggis?
VeteranXX
Old
135 - 02-17-2011, 11:12
pisses me off that both EA and Activision have jacked up the prices of new PC games to $59.99

Dangerdoggie
VeteranXV
Old
136 - 02-17-2011, 13:04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Haggis? View Post
pisses me off that both EA and Activision have jacked up the prices of new PC games to $59.99
I've noticed that they (EA) start off at around $49.95 when they first start taking pre-orders and then jack up the price to $59.95.

Pre-ordered Battlefield 3 for $50 and now it's up to $60, same thing with Crysis 2.

PessimiStick
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
137 - 02-17-2011, 13:36
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvz2spooge View Post
Well from personal experience I've spent more money on "free2play" games than I have on any others. Simply because I have the choice to try it and see if I like it before I commit.
That being said I support developers who make great products and don't treat me like an idiot, by trying to sell me hype and gimmick.

I admit that I'm a filthy pirate, but I have always bought the games that I liked and the ones that I didnt get deleted within the first few hrs of play.

It may not seem ethical to some, but is it any less ethical to sell products that are intentionally handicapped and stripped of content so that greedy corporations can resell them over and again?
If they would be reasonable about the price or forthcoming about the gameplay it wouldn't be a problem, But I'm not going to give them $60 for half a game, then another $20 each few months while they slowly release the rest of the content that was ready to ship to begin with.
This pretty much describes me as well, minus WoW. I've spent way more on that than anything else, by a huge margin.

Last edited by PessimiStick; 02-17-2011 at 13:39..
Bughead
VeteranXX
Old
138 - 02-27-2011, 01:21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGhost View Post
And who is a good company? Activision sure as **** isn't doing much better. Call Of Duty keeps going down the ****ter with this annual release crap. They've made so many ****ing stupid plastic toy music games even koreans can't keep track of them all.

The companies do it because it makes money, and alot of it usually. I'm suprised EA pulled those numbers, they have some titles that sell friggin huge.
This is another reason I hate EA:

The Escapist : Video Galleries : Extra Credits : An Open Letter to EA Marketing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os_f7knz1-U

Activision isn't doing great, but they aren't down to EA's level yet.

Dangerdoggie
VeteranXV
Old
139 - 02-27-2011, 03:04
Nope, not going to happen.

The mindless drones have spoken with their wallets, Medal of Honor sold 5 million copies and they're making a sequel. The last Need For Speed sold very well too.

Page 7 of 7

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Crysis 2 leaked 49 days early.

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐 , ▀█▀ █ ▀█▀ ▄█▀