How do you guys keep track of the metric ass ton of abilities? by G-Force - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > The Archives > Star Wars: The Old Republic
Reload this Page How do you guys keep track of the metric ass ton of abilities?
Page 1 of 3
G-Force
VeteranXX
Old
1 - 01-08-2012, 14:14
I'm really enjoying the game but on some classes, by the time you hit 20, all 4 bars are almost full.

My 20 assassin tank has both bottom bars full, and the side bars are filling up fast. I counted 13 more skills between now and 50. Where the **** am I going to put all these things? How is my caveman brain supposed to keep track of all this ****? I do like to look at my screen once and awhile to see the action.

I really wish they would let us make macros to condense some of this ****. I don't want rift style macros where it was basically a 2 button game...more like WoW, where I could put some defensive cooldowns on the same macro and clean my hotbars up a bit.

I use 12345...qezxfc, alt-q, alt-e, alt-1234.

Anything with a cooldown 2 minutes or higher I just click on due to lack of keybinds. I find alt the easiest modifier for me because I can tap that with my thumb and still be mobile.

/rant off

Anyone else having this issue or am I just a ****in simpleton?

Sponsored Links
Die Hard
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
2 - 01-08-2012, 14:16
use y our ctrl and shift?

G-Force
VeteranXX
Old
3 - 01-08-2012, 14:22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Hard View Post
use y our ctrl and shift?
i really hate using those ones

but i guess its time for this old **** to learn2play and use ctrl and shift

its still a pain in the ass to see the fading on abilities when they are coming off cooldown...little numbers counting down in the ability box would do wonders

Swamp Kitten
VeteranX
Old
4 - 01-08-2012, 14:23
Don't forget your F keys

At least F1-6 can be accessible quickly

Ciceron
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
5 - 01-08-2012, 15:45
Some skills aren't meant to be used by every spec or AC. Just have to figure out which ones.

Senty
VeteranXX
Old
6 - 01-08-2012, 16:33
Q, E to switch my main bar between 2 loadouts*, Q offensive, E defensive

for the 1-12 I use 1-5 then ZXC F1-4

R, 67890-+ on one of the side bars which remains static

*Will edit with the proper terms once I'm in game

Defaced
VeteranX
Old
7 - 01-08-2012, 17:46
I'm most MMOs I have mouse 3-5 free + modifiers. Use those?

d0ur
VeteranX
Old
8 - 01-08-2012, 18:50
you gotta use at least shift or ctrl in addition to alt. that will open up enough to have everything on demand and close.

Oxyminoan
VeteranXV
Old
9 - 01-08-2012, 19:12
my hotkeys are pretty much the same in every MMO:

z, x, c, v, f, shift+c, shift+v, shift+f, mouse4, mouse5, shift+mouse4, shift+mouse5

and 1-5

Haven't had any issues.

Shopper47
VeteranX
Old
10 - 01-08-2012, 20:04
Yeah I was just going through this myself on my shadow. They did a great job giving us various tools for various jobs and all of them come up (at least for us).

I use:

Mouse 3, 4, 5
Shift + Mouse 3, 4, 5
Ctrl + Mouse 3, 4, 5

Q, E, F
Shift + Q, E, F

and I still am starting to remap F1-F6 and my bottom bar is all clicks with stances and long CDs and huttballs etc.

And I still have 2 more attacks to bind once I climb the ladder further.

My keyboard has 5 macro buttons just left of WASD, I need to find a way to ley SWTOR bind them.

Swamp Kitten
VeteranX
Old
11 - 01-08-2012, 20:12
WASD movement

1-6, qerfgzx
shift 1-6 qerfgzx
ctrl 1-6 qerfgzx
F1-F6

Bars are almost full, but everything is accessible

Lord Elessar
or something³
Contributor
Old
12 - 01-08-2012, 20:40
I'm a clicker

G-Force
VeteranXX
Old
13 - 01-08-2012, 21:46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Elessar View Post
I'm a clicker
do you click everything?

how the hell do you see whats going on while clicking all those skills?

part machine, part man, Lord Elessar

Santa
VeteranXV
Old
14 - 01-08-2012, 22:50
do the tribes thing. ESDF movement. then bind q,r,t,a,g,z,x,v. cooldowns i put on right bar usually. plus number keys....should be fine.

Pagy
VeteranXX
Old
15 - 01-08-2012, 23:08
All good suggestions, I also cheat by not binding all of the bull**** abilities that suck and I don't use...

also a great way of saving money!

Fool
Whiny BitchX
Contributor
Old
16 - 01-08-2012, 23:27
Don't put things you don't use on the bar.

$tarlight
VeteranXV
Old
17 - 01-09-2012, 12:23
I'm with the last 2 posts. Just because your class has skill a,b and c doesn't mean you need to train it or use it. not all of them need to be used.

G-Force
VeteranXX
Old
18 - 01-09-2012, 14:11
thanks guys

im gonna train myself to use shift as a modifier, seems more comfortable than ctrl. That should be enough with my alt modifiers to handle everything.

I'm hoping we can get some extra quickbars someday. Especially a third bottom one.

PoorDoggy
VeteranXV
Old
19 - 01-09-2012, 17:02

ferret
VeteranXX
Old
20 - 01-10-2012, 01:49
I had to remap all my keybinds, they were somewhat default, and took the advice of my friend who is a hardcore arena guy and his keybindings made alot of sense. I hate posting this because I'm not a pro player, but I did get this 'pro-tip' from a few people that knew how to play. You may already know it, but here it is:

- Stop using the W button for forward, and use the mouse to go forward and turn. This will help you move faster on the keyboard since you aren't stuck to it for basic movement.

- Replace the the move right and left with strafe. This will really help ranged and assassin types to hit thier abilities while moving.

- Use ESDF instead of WASD. This gives you more access to keys, and force yourself to learn to use all the fingers. Specifically, I use S - Strafe left, F - Strafe Right, no backwards. (If I raided I would add backwards, but I strafe to go back in pvp)

- Eliminate all non essential keybinds. I don't have sheath weapon, and backwards, camera zoom, and jump and other non essential things are both on modifiers.

- Get a mouse with alot of buttons. I have a Logitech G9 and use the 2 side buttons as modifiers; alt and ctrl. I personally find it easier to do it this way than on the keyboard; especially for, say, Ctrl F.

- Don't keybind non combat items (buffs, etc)

- Put your stun breaker (aka trinket) on the mouse; you aren't using it at that moment, so it just makes a ton of sense to put it on say, the middle mouse.

- Lastly, put your keybinds in a logical order so it flows in combat, this should be obvious. My rotation is basically B, Alt-T, T, Ctrl-T, R, Alt-R. My interrupts are Y, Alt-Y, and Ctrl-Y.

I bind Q,W,E,R,T,Y,A,G,H,Z,X,C,V ,B,1,2,3,4 and all have 2 easy modifiers, for my abilities. I only use S and F for movement, and D for targeting. I'm still learning it as I had some really bad habits in my last mmo but it really seems like the optimal way of doing things.

Last edited by ferret; 01-10-2012 at 02:07..
Page 1 of 3

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > The Archives > Star Wars: The Old Republic
Reload this Page How do you guys keep track of the metric ass ton of abilities?

Social Website Bullshit