Page 2 of 22
bowl of blood
Veteran++
Contributor
Old
21 - 04-25-2021, 16:43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanster View Post
I'm more unusual in that I watch documentaries/lectures/explanations on Feynman, Maxwell, Bohr and the rest because it's fun to follow along as far as I can understand and then just be like, "wow, I am one stupid son of a *****, seriously."
how impressive to surround yourself in the paraphernalia of the intelligentsia yet take pride in never actually learning anything yourself

Sponsored Links
MC Hamster
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
22 - 04-25-2021, 18:33
doesn't sound like "pride in never actually learning anything", sounds to me just like acknowledging that there's an awful lot out there still to learn.

Paladin-5
VeteranXX
Old
23 - 04-25-2021, 18:55
what's more likely

q is someone with high level security clearances and "in the know" who drops clues as to what's really going on

or an internet dude trolling to great success

hmm

Vanster
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
24 - 04-25-2021, 19:00
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Hamster View Post
doesn't sound like "pride in never actually learning anything", sounds to me just like acknowledging that there's an awful lot out there still to learn.
Exactly this. I have a body of knowledge and skill set but it's tiny in comparison with what's out there. Having B.S.*2 and Masters is absolutely nothing when you consider how much there is to know, and what other humans have learned.

When you consider all of quantum mechanics, statics, dynamics, and the maths we've invented to describe our observations, and when you compare it to the observable universe, it's really nothing. And that's just the universe we're aware of. In the end, we're apes with emotional issues.

That's really the problem I have with religious folk-- they're convinced they have every answer and are certain of all of it. The correlation to the 2 dozen inhabitants of this place logically follows, as they are convinced of same.

lemon
Sour++
Contributor
Old
25 - 04-25-2021, 19:18
rrrrr

eeeee

tard

rrrrr

eeeee

peat

bowl of blood
Veteran++
Contributor
Old
26 - 04-25-2021, 20:14
Quote:
Exactly this. I have a body of knowledge and skill set but it's tiny in comparison with what's out there. Having B.S.*2 and Masters is absolutely nothing when you consider how much there is to know, and what other humans have learned.

When you consider all of quantum mechanics, statics, dynamics, and the maths we've invented to describe our observations, and when you compare it to the observable universe, it's really nothing. And that's just the universe we're aware of. In the end, we're apes with emotional issues.

That's really the problem I have with religious folk-- they're convinced they have every answer and are certain of all of it. The correlation to the 2 dozen inhabitants of this place logically follows, as they are convinced of same.
richard feynman, john von neumann, friedrich gauss have the right to stand in awe of the boundless inexplicability of the universe. those are people who spent every moment of their lives striving to understand the depths in spite of their poor ape like mentality, and who left behind the writings and proofs and experiments and inventions for others to continue their work, always pressing forward.

it's nothing but egotistical disrespect to stand with them at the finish line nodding your head at the great things "we've" achieved and yawning in vapid humility at the scope beyond. "we", you and i, haven't discovered anything. *they* did.

if you truly had any kinship whatsoever with these people, you would be studying, researching, working on theorems yourself. you're 90 years old but you aren't dead yet. each remaining hour is a chance to figure out one more piece of the puzzle, to leave our successors better off than we are, closer to understanding than our progenitors left us. it is a tall mountain and deathly unlikely that you shall ever near the summit, but why quit before trying? perhaps because it's so terribly convenient to throw your hands in the air and opine "it's just too much to learn, too much to figure out", that you yourself should never even attempt to do so.

why did idiotic religious believers like pascal, descartes, newton, etc make so many hundreds of discoveries when you the wise atheist have made zero? perhaps your childish fundamentalism is as irrelevant and unproductive in the fields of science as it is in the rest of life. you don't even begin to grasp the philosophical utility that faith brought to these minds, because you haven't read their works and you don't care to, so long as carl sagan is on the tv promising that he's just as stupid as you are.

i'd rather watch survivor. it doesn't turn you into a pompous blowhard *******.

SeVeReD
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
27 - 04-25-2021, 21:41
always remember
it's only a 100 years
to see what happens
Spoiler

Spoiler

havax
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
28 - 04-25-2021, 21:49
Quote:
That's really the problem I have with religious folk-- they're convinced they have every answer and are certain of all of it.
i feel the same way about anti-religious folk - they are convinced they have every answer and are certain of all of it.

faith and certainty are two different things.

havax
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
29 - 04-25-2021, 21:54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowl of blood View Post
richard feynman, john von neumann, friedrich gauss have the right to stand in awe of the boundless inexplicability of the universe. those are people who spent every moment of their lives striving to understand the depths in spite of their poor ape like mentality, and who left behind the writings and proofs and experiments and inventions for others to continue their work, always pressing forward.

it's nothing but egotistical disrespect to stand with them at the finish line nodding your head at the great things "we've" achieved and yawning in vapid humility at the scope beyond. "we", you and i, haven't discovered anything. *they* did.

if you truly had any kinship whatsoever with these people, you would be studying, researching, working on theorems yourself. you're 90 years old but you aren't dead yet. each remaining hour is a chance to figure out one more piece of the puzzle, to leave our successors better off than we are, closer to understanding than our progenitors left us. it is a tall mountain and deathly unlikely that you shall ever near the summit, but why quit before trying? perhaps because it's so terribly convenient to throw your hands in the air and opine "it's just too much to learn, too much to figure out", that you yourself should never even attempt to do so.

why did idiotic religious believers like pascal, descartes, newton, etc make so many hundreds of discoveries when you the wise atheist have made zero? perhaps your childish fundamentalism is as irrelevant and unproductive in the fields of science as it is in the rest of life. you don't even begin to grasp the philosophical utility that faith brought to these minds, because you haven't read their works and you don't care to, so long as carl sagan is on the tv promising that he's just as stupid as you are.

SeVeReD
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
30 - 04-25-2021, 21:59
god helps those that help themselves

-SS-
VeteranXV
Old
31 - 04-25-2021, 22:44
Quote:

GOD DAMN

bowl of blood
Veteran++
Contributor
Old
32 - 04-25-2021, 23:00
vanster doesn't even know that the catholic, lutheran, presbyterian, and methodist churches all teach the theory of evolution

HaPpY
VeteranXX
Old
33 - 04-25-2021, 23:06
progressives are the ones that have more of a problem with evolution than creationist fundies

Evil Engineer
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
34 - 04-25-2021, 23:13
I'm sure a left wing media factory is nothing short of fair and balanced in its presentation of what it perceives as fact

MC Hamster
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
35 - 04-25-2021, 23:51
Quote:
There's a whole lot of 'knowing your limits' in there, though. Not everyone can be the next Einstein, or Feynman, or Hawking, or whoever you want to name. There are those people out there of absolutely staggering intelligence working on problems that you and I aren't even bright enough to realize even exist.

There's a guy here in Australia in years gone by who was a bit of a comic radio host, who got his start during a breakfast radio outside broadcast at the university he was a maths student at. He'd done a stand-up bit in a talent quest thingy at the uni and they got him in when they were doing the weather to give a bit of silly maths trivia about the numbers they were reading out during the weather. So yeah, reasonably accomplished "smart guy", but by his own admission, he'd happily noted that in a room full of people, he was pretty damn smart. But in a room full of "proper" mathematicians, he was dumber than a hammer.

We can't all be working on solving the latest unsolvable theorem. But maybe that guy struck a chord with some kid somewhere that let him be happy that Maths could be fun, and let that kid go on and learn some more, and maybe that kid is out there now working on that. Or maybe he's not, maybe he's a high school maths teacher, and he's teaching someone and that kid will be doing it. Who knows? Maybe you're out driving a pooptruck and picking up the poop from that kids house so he doesn't have to smell it and he can get on with his homework without distraction, and you're helping that way.

That's kind of what existing in a society is about. We don't all have to be doing everything ourselves. We do what we can, where we can, and as such we contribute our bits and pieces to support the whole, and together we can produce all those results.

You may not have put the "QED" on the end, but maybe you helped to get a decimal point in there somewhere.

bowl of blood
Veteran++
Contributor
Old
36 - 04-25-2021, 23:56
all well and grand til you come down with a condescending attitude about how i'm only incurious because i'm so humble, you're incurious because you're an ignorant piece of ****

MC Hamster
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
37 - 04-25-2021, 23:59
maybe I read it differently

Nmag
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
38 - 04-26-2021, 03:29
Leaked footage of Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXAiBpIz2_I

havax
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
39 - 04-26-2021, 03:39
omg dutch is q?

Dr Dance
VeteranX
Old
40 - 04-26-2021, 11:06
Not sure if the religious are always so "certain of their beliefs." I'm religious. But compared to some others, I don't know duck****.

Like Havax said, it's more a matter of faith than "certainty."

Yet if you challenge the faith of the high and mighty religious leaders, of course they are going to reply with "some degree of certainty" because their faith is greater.

Page 2 of 22

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Just finished the q documentary on hbo

Social Website Bullshit