Best free app to repartition drives without losing data? by Amadeus - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Best free app to repartition drives without losing data?
Amadeus
VeteranXX
Old
1 - 06-30-2008, 15:30
I need to increase my OS partition from 10GB to 15-25GB, depending on whether I go with XP or Vista and 32 bit or 64 bit, and shrink the other partition to compensate

what's a free app that makes this easy and doesn't **** up my data?

Sponsored Links
cogzinofa
VeteranXV
Old
2 - 06-30-2008, 15:35
gparted seems to work pretty well...but it's not like I do this every day, so my opinion on the matter may not be horribly relevant.

edit: you should be able to find it on a ubuntu live disk.

Yetskii
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
3 - 06-30-2008, 15:35
I use partition magic, while not free, it is at the "store"

Amadeus
VeteranXX
Old
5 - 06-30-2008, 15:59
that EASEUS thing looks good, but it says in the description: "The demo version does not allow you to apply any partition changes."

it also says it's freeware

MadBoFo
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
6 - 06-30-2008, 16:02
ext2resize

Amadeus
VeteranXX
Old
7 - 06-30-2008, 16:04
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMoFo View Post
ext2resize
gotta work with ntfs you IT genius of gargantuan cranium

Lineage
VeteranXV
Old
8 - 06-30-2008, 16:07
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogzinofa View Post
gparted seems to work pretty well...but it's not like I do this every day, so my opinion on the matter may not be horribly relevant.

edit: you should be able to find it on a ubuntu live disk.
GParted also has its own live disk, if you're not a fan of downloading an entire linux distro and burning it to a live cd

link_
Old
9 - 06-30-2008, 16:08
DEFRAGMENT YOUR DRIVES FIRST

Amadeus
VeteranXX
Old
10 - 06-30-2008, 16:15
yeah, I took a look at gparted, but I prefer not having to build my own apps... didn't find much invo about the live CD thing though, is it basically just a boot CD that lets you mess around with the partitions from outside windows?

Amadeus
VeteranXX
Old
11 - 06-30-2008, 16:17
Quote:
Originally Posted by link_ View Post
DEFRAGMENT YOUR DRIVES FIRST
I tried defragging the larger (~175GB) partition, but the windows defragger would refuse to defrag about 48GB worth of files for whatever reason. mainly the large files, 500MB-5GB in size. is that a biggy?

Brasstax
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
12 - 06-30-2008, 16:17
SandRePaperer

link_
Old
13 - 06-30-2008, 16:21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
I tried defragging the larger (~175GB) partition, but the windows defragger would refuse to defrag about 48GB worth of files for whatever reason. mainly the large files, 500MB-5GB in size. is that a biggy?
You might lose those files or have them corrupted.

NTFS blows so if you resize it and u have a file fragmented on certain sector of the drive thats crucial you can b0rk ur system pretty quickly. I did this when i was in a hurry and thought "screw it i don't need to defragment its not that bad" and ended up destroying my windows partition.

I'm assuming those files are movies. I'd burn backup data dvd's for all of your important data / stuff u don't want destroyed before u start screwing around with this.

Lineage
VeteranXV
Old
14 - 06-30-2008, 16:22
Quote:
yeah, I took a look at gparted, but I prefer not having to build my own apps... didn't find much invo about the live CD thing though, is it basically just a boot CD that lets you mess around with the partitions from outside windows?
Yes.

link_
Old
15 - 06-30-2008, 16:23
Quote:
yes. Let me get a screen shot from inside ze ubuntu

link_
Old
16 - 06-30-2008, 16:27
hell just look at this :

GParted -- Screenshots

Amadeus
VeteranXX
Old
17 - 06-30-2008, 16:33
Quote:
Originally Posted by link_ View Post
You might lose those files or have them corrupted.

NTFS blows so if you resize it and u have a file fragmented on certain sector of the drive thats crucial you can b0rk ur system pretty quickly. I did this when i was in a hurry and thought "screw it i don't need to defragment its not that bad" and ended up destroying my windows partition.

I'm assuming those files are movies. I'd burn backup data dvd's for all of your important data / stuff u don't want destroyed before u start screwing around with this.
actually IIRC they're things like ginormous HL2 files and whatnot. I might as well get rid of HL2 and all the episodes, probably won't replay them any time soon and I got the installers anyway

thanks for the tip though, I'll check again what all this stuff is and see what I can do with them

Jasper
VeteranXX
Old
18 - 06-30-2008, 18:11
Quote:
Partition Logic is a free hard disk partitioning and data management tool. It can create, delete, format, defragment, resize, and move partitions and modify their attributes. It can copy entire hard disks from one to another.

Partition Logic is free software, based on the Visopsys operating system. It boots from a CD or floppy disk and runs as a standalone system, independent of your regular operating system. It is intended to become a free alternative to such commercial programs as Partition Magic, Drive Image, and Norton Ghost... (read more)

Partition Logic

I havent tried it yet but its a bootable CD. Gonna try it this weekend.

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Best free app to repartition drives without losing data?

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
free , not right now you don't , partition , windows