Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page SL83's Extended and Ongoing Beer Thread
Page 12 of 45
SL83
VeteranXV
Old
221 - 01-08-2010, 09:48
Where I am, liquor stores and beer shops are different.

Liquor stores sell liquor and wines and spirits.

You either have to go to the supermarket to pick up ****ty beer, or find a local beverage distributor and see what they have there. Sometimes I ask my local one to order **** for me.

Sponsored Links
Gringo
VeteranXV
Old
222 - 01-08-2010, 09:53
some liquor stores sell beer, but its usually just a slightly better selection that a gas station. oddly enough, walgreens (small store / pharmacy) now sells beer and wine.

not a huge fan of (blonde) pales, but if youre in TX and havent tried this:

you should

SL83
VeteranXV
Old
223 - 01-08-2010, 09:55
The International Bittering Units scale, or simply IBU scale, provides a measure of the bitterness of beer, which is provided by the hops used during brewing. Bittering units are measured through the use of a spectrophotometer and solvent extraction. [1]

This technique was adopted at the same time as another method based on measuring the concentration (in milligrams per liter; parts per million w/v) of isomerized ***945; acids in a beer, causing some confusion among small-scale brewers. [2] The American Society of Brewing Chemists, in the introduction to its methods on measuring bitterness, points out some differences between the results of the two methods:

While the results of the IAA [isomerized ***945; acids] methods are practically identical to those obtained by the [I]BU method for beer brewed with fresh hops, the IAAs of beer brewed with old or poorly stored hops, and with certain special hop extracts, can be significantly lower than the [I]BU figure. [1]

The bittering effect is less noticeable in beers with a high quantity of malt, so a higher IBU is needed in heavier beers to balance the flavor. For example, an Imperial Stout may have an IBU of 50, but will taste less bitter than an English Bitter with an IBU of 30, because the latter beer uses much less malt than the former. The technical limit for IBU's is around 100; some have tried to surpass this number, but there is no real gauge after 100 IBUs when it comes to taste threshold.
[edit]
Typical measurements This section may contain original research. Please improve it by verifying the claims made and adding references. Statements consisting only of original research may be removed. More details may be available on the talk page. (May 2009)

A light American lager might be as low as 5 on the scale, while barley wines, India pale ales, or imperial stouts can range up to 100 or higher. Measures for other beverages include:
Belgian Lambics: 11***8211;23
Blonde ale: 15***8211;30
Kölsch: 18***8211;25
Märzen/Oktoberfest: 18***8211;25
Ordinary English bitter: 20***8211;35
Porter: 20***8211;40
Brown ale: 15***8211;25, with North American styles higher, 25***8211;45
Bohemian-style Pilsener: 30***8211;45, sometimes it can range up to 100 (e.g. German Bitterpils)
India pale ale: 40 or higher
An Irish stout: 25***8211;60 (eg. Guinness ~45 IBU)

A formula craft brewers use to estimate IBU is:
Wh × AA% × Uaa ***8260; ( Vw × 1.34 ), where
Wh refers to the weight of the hops used, in ounces
AA% refers to the alpha acid percentage, which is influenced by many factors, including cultivation method, species, and time of year ***8212; hops are often sold labeled with this percentage
Uaa is the percentage of alpha acid that is actually used during the boiling process
Vw means the volume of the wort, in gallons
1.34 is a constant factor that adjusts the measurement to account for the use of U.S. customary units

There are several different methods for finding Uaa, which can yield very different results. Generally, Uaa increases with longer boiling times and decreases with higher boil density.

Stigs
VeteranXX
Old
224 - 01-08-2010, 12:14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL83 View Post
Stigs - you're the guy with the beer cellar aren't you?

We need to talk about beer. You seem to be very knowledgeable.
Yep, over 200 bottles (about 150 varieties) in storage as of last count. Actually cut down on drinking a bit lately (training for a half-marathon in the spring) so the stockpile is getting bigger.

Have 8 of these coming next week: The Abyss - Deschutes Brewery - BeerAdvocate

Probably going to split this with my girlfriend tonight, 2007 vintage which it about at its peak and has smoothed out incredibly: Gratitude - East End Brewing Company - BeerAdvocate

Last edited by Stigs; 01-08-2010 at 12:17..
SL83
VeteranXV
Old
225 - 01-08-2010, 12:19
neato

SL83
VeteranXV
Old
226 - 01-08-2010, 15:07
I'm drinking a Sam Adams Brown Ale right now - part of their Brewmaster's Collection.

It's not so great.

I will soon be trying another Double Bastard Ale to see if I liked that before.

Stigs
VeteranXX
Old
227 - 01-08-2010, 16:10
you wont like it :P

i drank one (fresh) over christmas and it was still a bit much to me, i remember loveing it the first time i had it (over a year ago when i was all LOL BITTER HOPS LOL)

on NYE me and a couple friends split a bottle from 2008, it had mellowed out quite a bit and other flavors came through...pretty delicious. i've heard of people aging it for even longer with good results.

SL83
VeteranXV
Old
228 - 01-08-2010, 16:25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigs View Post
you wont like it :P

i drank one (fresh) over christmas and it was still a bit much to me, i remember loveing it the first time i had it (over a year ago when i was all LOL BITTER HOPS LOL)

on NYE me and a couple friends split a bottle from 2008, it had mellowed out quite a bit and other flavors came through...pretty delicious. i've heard of people aging it for even longer with good results.
Surprisingly enough - it's bitter AS ****!

But I kinda like it.

I can't tell if that's because it has a nice 10.5% ABV and gets me buzzed nicely, or if I actually like the flavor of it.

I'm letting my 2nd one today warm up a bit so I can taste it better to determine.

But yeah, I do kinda like it. It's just a little bit off-putting with the whole toxic bottle art thing..... :\

But I think I like it alright.

Stigs
VeteranXX
Old
229 - 01-08-2010, 16:43
haha

thats an antiquated California law, its the same kind of paint used on bottles anywhere else, but Cali breweries have to put it on there. works well with Stone's reputation though.

i was at the brewery back in September when they were fermenting Double Bastard, the whole building smelled a bit like warm musty DB, but it was good. getting the chance to have some of their beers fresh while watching them make more was almost a bit of a religious experience. i might open up a bomber of their Smoked Porter tonight now that I'm thinking about it.

Stigs
VeteranXX
Old
230 - 01-10-2010, 14:09
anyone drink anything good this weekend?

Last night had a Smuttynose Porter, Arcadia Hop Rocket from the cask/hand-pump, and two Terrapin Coffee Stouts...everything was outstanding.

Might dip into a sour today...maybe a 2005: Cantillon Iris - Brasserie Cantillon - BeerAdvocate

Ratz
VeteranXV
Old
231 - 01-10-2010, 14:33
had a 6 pack sampler of Garrison Brewing this weekend, liked their nut brown ale, raspberry wheat and tall ship amber. Cannot find Samuel Smith round here.

Yankee
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
232 - 01-10-2010, 14:34
cracking open my 3rd nut brown today!

Kaiser
VeteranXX
Old
233 - 01-10-2010, 14:56
I had a 3 Philosophers. I enjoyed it!

Stigs
VeteranXX
Old
234 - 01-10-2010, 15:05
gd you people love Brown Ales, its one of my least favorite styles actually

fish_spum
Veteran++
Old
235 - 01-10-2010, 15:19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
cracking open my 3rd nut brown today!
just opening my first

SL83
VeteranXV
Old
236 - 01-10-2010, 18:50
I don't have any nut brown ales

My beer place needs to order a case for me.

TW_Dagger
VeteranXV
Old
237 - 01-10-2010, 18:53
The beer shack here don't carry anything SS, but they do a lot of goose island brews which I've tried and liked.

SL83
VeteranXV
Old
238 - 01-10-2010, 19:49

I want some good beer tonight.

CelticMojo
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
239 - 01-10-2010, 20:05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee View Post