[QuakeWars] Enemy Territory by Feannag - Page 8 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com


Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [QuakeWars] Enemy Territory
Page 8 of 9
Thread Tools
Feannag
VeteranXV
Old
141 - 06-23-2008, 01:21
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouCypher View Post
You can check it out at the start of the map when everyone spawns. Watch your teammates that run out with AR or Lacerator drawn that are in front of you, then switch to knife/spikes and see yourself gain on them.

I always draw knife/spikes to get to forward spawn faster.
Okay that is retarded. At least with the rocket launcher/GPMG there's some logic to it. The weapon and ammo are heavier, so you move slower. It's even more implied when the lvl 4 upgrade for soldiers is faster movement with weapon. So why would flicking out your melee weapon make you any faster if you're all carrying the same weapons and the same sized weapons?
 
Feannag is offline
 
Sponsored Links
LouCypher
VeteranX
Old
142 - 06-23-2008, 01:35
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feannag View Post
So why would flicking out your melee weapon make you any faster if you're all carrying the same weapons and the same sized weapons?
In real life you run faster when you're not holding an object with both hands. Try running with a cinderblock in your backpack, and the try running with the same cinderblock held in front of you.

It'd all a matter of weight distribution, balance, and the ability to pump your arms like you would if sprinting. You can't shoot while running in ET:QW because the animation shows you holding the main weapon in front of your chest with both hands.

I think it was Paul Wedgewood that mentioned this as the reason during one of the pre-release demonstrations at a European gaming expo.
 
LouCypher is offline
 
FishStix
VeteranXV
Old
143 - 06-23-2008, 05:00
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanox View Post
Are you guys planning on playing compmod anytime soon? Maybe like a scheduled thing? I may be in on playing something like that, though I'd have to clear out a bunch of mod crap from my gamefolder.
The official comp mod will probably never get used by the ET:QW competitive community. Not sure what it will bring to pubs, as stat whores aren't into not being able to stat whore on comp mod servers. Right now, for competition we use ETQWPro, made for the community with as much customization options as possible, and should hopefully get better with added stuff from comp mod (0.55b - 0.6 is coming)
 
FishStix is offline
 
Feannag
VeteranXV
Old
144 - 06-24-2008, 01:11
Reply With Quote
I tried the knife thing, it works sadly... Guess I'll have to make use the Last Weapon button now to avoid switching to the sidearm with the mouse wheel. I also think I need to get a better mouse. I was pretty decent in FPS games when I had a razer back when they first appeared and I feel like my aim is jerky and ****.

Also how the hell do you do the objectives for the medals? I was a constructor and the GDF had to blow a barricade in order to move the MPC into position. I managed to diffuse 3 HE charges on my own and my objectives are still 0/2. I think that since the barricade has to be destroyed to progress the objectives (unlike hacking/destroying deployables) it would count towards that since only that class and disarm the charges.

Anyway that time we held the barricade for nearly the whole match. You can never underestimate a good medic/technician.
 
Feannag is offline
 
perro
VeteranXV
Old
145 - 06-24-2008, 01:12
Reply With Quote
LEGUIONS
 
perro is offline
 
CelticMojo
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
146 - 06-24-2008, 01:14
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feannag View Post
I tried the knife thing, it works sadly... Guess I'll have to make use the Last Weapon button now to avoid switching to the sidearm with the mouse wheel. I also think I need to get a better mouse. I was pretty decent in FPS games when I had a razer back when they first appeared and I feel like my aim is jerky and ****.

Also how the hell do you do the objectives for the medals? I was a constructor and the GDF had to blow a barricade in order to move the MPC into position. I managed to diffuse 3 HE charges on my own and my objectives are still 0/2. I think that since the barricade has to be destroyed to progress the objectives (unlike hacking/destroying deployables) it would count towards that since only that class and disarm the charges.

Anyway that time we held the barricade for nearly the whole match. You can never underestimate a good medic/technician.
You also run faster if you switch to pistol.
 
CelticMojo is offline
 
Feannag
VeteranXV
Old
147 - 06-24-2008, 01:19
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuza View Post
You also run faster if you switch to pistol.
That's what I was doing, but it turns out if you switch to spikes/knife you run a little bit faster than that.
 
Feannag is offline
 
LouCypher
VeteranX
Old
148 - 06-24-2008, 08:37
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feannag View Post
Also how the hell do you do the objectives for the medals? I was a constructor and the GDF had to blow a barricade in order to move the MPC into position. I managed to diffuse 3 HE charges on my own and my objectives are still 0/2.
Defense never gets objective achievements. The hack/destroy/construct achievements are all offense only. Defense is best for the ones like mines/artillery XP.
 
LouCypher is offline
 
Feannag
VeteranXV
Old
149 - 06-24-2008, 09:39
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouCypher View Post
Defense never gets objective achievements. The hack/destroy/construct achievements are all offense only. Defense is best for the ones like mines/artillery XP.
I figured that, but everytime I play offense the defense it dug in like a squatter in an abandoned building and I can never get close enough to costruct/hack/blow up the objective.

I'll have to have to write down the map names, and which side would get which objective XP so I get an idea on when there's an opportunity.

Even though I was working on getting my stat rank out of the noob zone it's always annoying to see how little a difference that makes. When you have to defend the slipgate core you got the 3-Star General flying around in the attack chopper because he wants to be e-cool and offers the flawed logic he's keeping people out of the building. Honestly I think that's the main reason pugs are lost, way too many people circling jerking outside in the tanks and APCs and choppers and not actually defending what they should be defending. It would be believable if they were lower ranks but when you are the lowest rank (Staff Sargent) and everyone else is dicking around it makes you wonder how many hours they logged to get that high from being a retard.
 
Feannag is offline
 
Last edited by Feannag; 06-24-2008 at 09:44..
LouCypher
VeteranX
Old
150 - 06-24-2008, 13:08
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feannag View Post
Honestly I think that's the main reason pugs are lost, way too many people circling jerking outside in the tanks and APCs and choppers and not actually defending what they should be defending.
I find it's usually a case of too many players playing a class that isn't responsible for the objective. I was on Volcano earlier this morning as the only Technician on a team of twelve and only two of them were Infiltrator. Half our team was Aggressor and this was before we even had the controls hacked. They didn't figure out until five minutes left that we needed more than two Infiltrators.
 
LouCypher is offline
 
Feannag
VeteranXV
Old
151 - 06-24-2008, 13:27
Reply With Quote
I hate the slipgate one where strogg attacks. *****es tank-turtled with two engineers, someone was flying hte chopper and firing rockets on us, and they had 2 soldiers in that side hallway (one with a rocket launcher and GPMG each) and at leat 2 medics to two other players. They held us off for a good 10 minutes until the end, even when we got a Cyclops siege'd there they managed to pull the tank back to fix.

And I think half the team was infiltrator, one technician, and one aggressor, the rest were oppressors. I was going constructor to get some more nade XP for the Light Weapon Medal and came out with both most accuracy and most light weapons.
 
Feannag is offline
 
dev
VeteranXX
Old
152 - 06-24-2008, 13:52
Reply With Quote
Rank and achievements are overrated. Aside from your rank appearing ingame, you don't benefit from it at all. Its quite buggy as well, in that I've had plenty of hacks stolen off me by someone joining in on the hack just as I've about got it.

This game definitely needs some of the old style rtcw et server settings, especially on limiting some of the loadouts. Trying to defend against 10 hyperspammers gets tiring at times.
 
dev is offline
 
Feannag
VeteranXV
Old
153 - 06-24-2008, 14:03
Reply With Quote
Personally I'd like a tripod for the GPMG when going prone, like they did with the original ET. The only real counter to a hyperspammer is either the GPMG or the grenade launcher. If you stand still or crouch or go prone the aim on that GPMG gets pretty accurate. I've gunned down plenty of Strogg at various chokepoints with that gun, even hyperspammers. But the real trick is to have field ops and medics ready to supply you with ammo/med-packs and revive you when necessary.

Hyperblaster = Good for outdoors and mobile spamming.
GPMG = Good for choke-points with proper support.
 
Feannag is offline
 
LouCypher
VeteranX
Old
154 - 06-24-2008, 14:04
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feannag View Post
I hate the slipgate one where strogg attacks. *****es tank-turtled with two engineers, someone was flying hte chopper and firing rockets on us, and they had 2 soldiers in that side hallway (one with a rocket launcher and GPMG each) and at leat 2 medics to two other players. They held us off for a good 10 minutes until the end, even when we got a Cyclops siege'd there they managed to pull the tank back to fix.

And I think half the team was infiltrator, one technician, and one aggressor, the rest were oppressors. I was going constructor to get some more nade XP for the Light Weapon Medal and came out with both most accuracy and most light weapons.
Sounds like you had ****ty Infiltrators then because I'd have stolen a GDF uniform and scrambled the tank.
 
LouCypher is offline
 
LouCypher
VeteranX
Old
155 - 06-24-2008, 14:08
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by dev View Post
This game definitely needs some of the old style rtcw et server settings, especially on limiting some of the loadouts. Trying to defend against 10 hyperspammers gets tiring at times.
You should play as Strogg on the map where you have to destroy the salvage when half the GDF is Engineer with grenade launcher, and the other half is medic. That was ****ing annoying.
 
LouCypher is offline
 
Feannag
VeteranXV
Old
156 - 06-24-2008, 15:11
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouCypher View Post
Sounds like you had ****ty Infiltrators then because I'd have stolen a GDF uniform and scrambled the tank.
It's also not that hard, if you run around hte outside to that blast hole above the side hallway it's easy to get a srambling grenade in there. I would have done it but since I had the 'nade launcher I figure I'd rack up XP with it, it damages the tanks pretty well actually.
 
Feannag is offline
 
LouCypher
VeteranX
Old
157 - 06-30-2008, 02:20
Reply With Quote
So I did a little searching for how to block the Massive ingame ads. I found a website that detailed exactly what the Massive advertising code was doing in SWAT 4. It suggested adding a few lines to your HOSTS file so that their servers were never contacted. I tried it, it didn't work for ET:QW.

So I opened mac3r.dll in IDA and checked the strings. I found one hostname that wasn't mentioned on the SWAT 4 page, and added it to the list. This is what I came up with:
Quote:
# Massive Advertisements
127.0.0.1 madserver.net
127.0.0.1 ad.madserver.net
127.0.0.1 imp.madserver.net
127.0.0.1 locate.madserver.net
127.0.0.1 media.madserver.net
I highlighted the one I found. No more billboards for UFC 86 or Jumper on DVD.

To get rid of the ones already downloaded and cached, delete all the .dds files in
Quote:
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\id Software\Enemy Territory - QUAKE Wars\base\massive\texture s
 
LouCypher is offline
 
Feannag
VeteranXV
Old
158 - 06-30-2008, 08:31
Reply With Quote
Heh, I noticed that but didn't pay too much attention to it. I'll give them props for the idea of advertising **** that way, pretty creative.
 
Feannag is offline
 
JodoFett
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
159 - 06-30-2008, 08:39
Reply With Quote
lol I never noticed any ads. Bloops.
 
JodoFett is offline
 
FishStix
VeteranXV
Old
160 - 06-30-2008, 21:11
Reply With Quote
For any that are interested in seeing what QW competition looks like, the TGL finals are going down TOMORROW. Its gunna be hubris vs. FATE on Sewer, starting around 9:30 EST. EnemyTerritory.tv - Built for Competitors and Spectators - ETQW TV & Shoutcasting Services for live shoutcast, tune into the TV server for live match broadcast. Oh, and as always you'll need promod (0.55b) to watch.
 
FishStix is offline
 
Page 8 of 9
Reply


Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [QuakeWars] Enemy Territory

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
badmofo has a huge penis , stab stab stab


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


AGENT: CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) / Y
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:09.