If you need a decent ship set-up request it here.

Vlasic said:
I have a thorax with 5 150mm railguns, 10nm burner, med shield booster, a hull repair thingy, and some power grid boosters

what heavier guns should I train for if I want to make quick work of things in the 15-30km range?
Cruiser-sized rails are going to be rather tough to fit on a rax... The ship seems to work better at short range with frigate-sized turrets, at least in my limited experience with it. I've had good luck with a setup that included named light neutron blasters and a large armor tank (1600mm plate of some kind and a repairer.)

In the remaining low slots, you could fit some armor hardeners or a damage mod or two, and deal some nice damage at close range.

i'm starting to feel that gallente have it the toughest vs gangs of rats.

most races you can sit back launch crap at them from miles away and not even be fired upon, but nooooo we are the SKIRMISHERS and love it when a BS smacks us in the face BAH

:p i guess its mining for my battle-bred thorax :lol:

Sp!nfusor Salad said:
I suggest using a Thorax or Maller for mining imho... they are the best mining cruisers in the game tho a comorant can do a passable job....

you want to train up skills for engineering electronics so that you can raise your PG and CPU to the max possible, you also want some skills needed for good shield tanking... after that you are golden and may want to train up for elite tech 2 gear.

edit- an Osprey can make passable mining too...

but keep in mind barges, Mallers and Apocs make mining alot faster.
The Thorax is a better miner than an Osprey? The Osprey has a 20% per level mining yeild bonus; if you figure you can fit 3 lasers on an Osprey, you need to fit 6 on the Thorax to beat an Osprey level 3/4, and 7 lasers to beat an Osprey level 5. I'd say the Osprey is a damn good miner for not being a barge.

yea, i looked at the stats and decided to get an osprey

Mining 5, ast 5, Cruiser 5 gets you 7.5 miner II's equiv, even at just mining 4 and cruiser 3 you get 3 * 1.80 = 5.4. I feel that the osprey is the best mining ship, if you can't get a mining barge. The osprey can also fit an assault launcher, and take 40m3 of drones (im using 4 med drones), which, with a shield booster, should hold out against most, if not all, 0.5+ belt rats. (i also, get, the feeling that, sometimes, I use, just, too many commas)

osprey ftw imo

however, spin might know sometime i don't, having only played for 3 weeks here :\ maybe ospreys aren't the best ships to sink skills into etc, although i can't see any holes, as having just 4 mining and 3 cruiser is almost a requirement for anything.

Vlasic said:
I have a thorax with 5 150mm railguns, 10nm burner, med shield booster, a hull repair thingy, and some power grid boosters

what heavier guns should I train for if I want to make quick work of things in the 15-30km range?

the most common Thorax is a Thorax with Medium Electron or Ion blasters and a MWD, along with a moderate armor or shield tank...

the idea is it goes in very very very close and uses the blasters for heavy damage while the Thorax's legion of drones rips the target apart.

and Rupture guy you want a long range or short range boat?

Phalanx.1 said:
i'm starting to feel that gallente have it the toughest vs gangs of rats.

most races you can sit back launch crap at them from miles away and not even be fired upon, but nooooo we are the SKIRMISHERS and love it when a BS smacks us in the face BAH

:p i guess its mining for my battle-bred thorax :lol:

NPCing is usually done up close, yes some choose to snipe them from 100km out with Tempests but those people have a tough time looting their kills...

I myself use an Apoc for CLOSE range NPCing.

Last edited:
Boomer_941 said:
Badger Mk II Hauling for mining

GO!
Carogo expanders and patience, lots of patience.

Actually what I have on my normal badger is cargo expanders, shield recharger, armor hardner, MWD (or afterburner, cant remember, just something to make it less of a slug), a cap recharger and a mining laser (which I never use but it was the only thing I could put on the thing).

I'm pretty sure that's the setup and it works very well for now. About 5500 cargo hold and a top speed of about 200k. With the armor hardner and shield charger I'm comfortable going through .4 space and will go through .3 space carefully. No players have bothered me yet and the NPC rats don't even put a dent in me.

mixolydian said:
Comorant miner

right now i have a coprocessor, 2 miner IIs, 1 miner I, and 4 various turrets
From the mining thread....

MrMeikel said:
For actual ships, I would suggest (this is for players without money)

use a crappy frigate first, equip with as many Miner I's, or EP-S gaussians and get to a belt, check for rats (you won't be able to fight any with only Mining lasers) and mine until your cargo is full.
ASAP get your races hauler (industrial ships) and do the same, but this time following Mav's advice on jet-can'ing. Next ship on the list is your races destroyer, which should have ample turrets points to allow at least 3 125mm rails (good enough for killing all rats in 0.6+) and then 2 or 3 EP-S's.

Here is the ideal loadout (at least, what works for me :p) for the cormorant (caldari) and osprey (caldari again):

cormorant:
4 * 125mm rails (I use Rail I's)
3 * EP-S mining lasers
1 * basic co-proc
1 * small shield booster
then as many cap rechargers you can get (could fit 3 if you have the CPU)

edit: this will give ~247omber/min (148m3/min) depending on your mining skill (and others)

osprey: (bare in mind I haven't actually used this yet, so I'm not sure if the drones will kill the rats)
3 * Miner II's
1 * Assault Missile Launcher
3 * basic co-proc
3 * cap rechargers
1 * med shield booster
3 or 4 * med scout drones

edit: this will give at least 420omber/min (252m3/min), and every level of cruiser will give you 20% (!!!) more

All that will fit on if you put the co-proc's on first, and all the cap rechargers will allow you to recover 305 cap/min
I used that Cormorant set up last night and was very pleased by it. In .5 space you can kill the rats usually or have enough shield time to run the hell away.

What's a good Raven setup for pvp/lvl4 combat missions?

I'm also 11 days from interceptors and thinking about trying out a Crow for pvp.

And since I dragged one of my friends along with me, what's a good pvp/mission running setup for a cormorant?

S0C7 said:
Already have a decent idea on Caracals for combat, so I'll ask about Moa setups.
Well, what is your setup? I'm running a Caracal right now, as far as I can remeber here is her setup...

5 Light Assault Launcers, Makuth I believe
10mn MWD
Med Shield Recharger
Cap Battery
Cap Charger
2 Overdrives in the lowslots

I'll probably switch to a afterburner soon and I'm learning up to heavy missles. I'm sure the Heavies will take much more cap/cpu so ditching the MWD seems likely. I also have a smartbomb learned for drone missions because the little fuckers get so close and there usually attacking in groups. I just wish I knew a better thing to put in the low slots. I like having the extra speed but I just feel that there could be something I'm missing.

Pretty close to my setup K, but I'd use nanofiber hull mods instead of the overdrives. Yeah, it cuts down your hull points, but it makes you not only faster but quicker to align and get into warp. Also, from the ganking I got a few days ago, in PvP, once your shields and armor are gone, a few more points of hull won't make a difference.

In lows, I use a nanofiber and a ballistics control module.

In mids, a medium shield booster, a kinetic hardener, an afterburner and a webber.

Highs either get all Malkuth assaults (bloodclaws) or 3 assaults and 2 heavies (if I'm hunting cruiser rats, since heavy missles to precisely DICK to fucking frigates now).

Of course, this could be improved upon as well, but the webber really helps when those little fuckers get too close. Helps my medium rails in my Moa connect better as well.

Back