Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [[Official]] Water Heater Thread
Page 3 of 4
KingSobieski
VeteranXX
Old
41 - 01-20-2023, 08:57
i would need like a 6ft height above the tank to fit a new tube inside, correct?

Sponsored Links
SeVeReD
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
42 - 01-20-2023, 10:29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmatic View Post
Yeah, if it's leaking already you need to replace it. I was looking at tankless 8 years ago, most cheap gas ones require piping that can cost as much as the heater. The nicer ones you can power vent up an existing chimney. I opted for a nice standard gas heated unit. Direct replacement but I still had to **** around with the gas supply lines.

Tanked units already have the hot water ready to go, no waiting. Tankless units still have to heat the water. They may heat quick, but it still takes time.
Just going to add. The electric tankless under my bathroom sink gives me hot water w/in 2 seconds... about the time it takes to push the cold water sitting in the tubes before it. Seems pretty instant to me.

KingSobieski
VeteranXX
Old
43 - 01-20-2023, 10:34

KingSobieski
VeteranXX
Old
44 - 01-20-2023, 10:39

i put up a wall + door to close off the water heater area from the rest of the basement. took the opportunity for some built-in shelves. gonna move the gross utility sink into that room too. get some more spots to store blankets n stuff.

SeVeReD
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
45 - 01-29-2023, 16:07
Incoming Physiques lesson from a first grade teacher.

Spoiler

Mr Jimmy Pop
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
46 - 01-29-2023, 16:29
You shouldn***8217;t wall up a gas water heater without proper air intake, so make sure you did that.

KingSobieski
VeteranXX
Old
47 - 01-30-2023, 11:12
True.

Says it needs 50 cubic ft per 1,000 BTU (2,000 cubic ft)

Guess the 500 cubic ft closet won't be enough. Guess it'll need to be piped in from outside or maybe add a through wall vent back to the living space.

Combustion Air.

Pretty good reading. Due to concerns of killing/sickening people from the basement, I did add a NOX gas leak detector.

Should be reading more than 5% O2 if living area air is used for combustion.

Quote:
The best way to evaluate the combustion air in an existing build*ing with an existing combustion heating system is with an elec*tronic combustion analysis. If the oxygen reading from the combustion analyzer is more than 5%, this oxygen (O2) mea*surement verifies that an adequate amount of combustion air is available. At 5% or more of flue-gas oxygen, additional com*bustion air is usually unnecessary.
I think i'll just add a return grille and we'll be good w/ that.

Last edited by KingSobieski; 01-30-2023 at 11:25..
SeVeReD
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
48 - 01-30-2023, 16:27
GL
My water heating system took a turn the other day when I posted the above pics. Everything working out now.

When we moved into the condo it had the rainfall shower heads I've never used before. It was ok but the lack of pressure I was used to kinda sucked.
I always meant to check if there were water flow restricters in the shower head, but someone from the condo had told me they checked and ...
dammit my lazy ass went no further until a couple days ago when I took the head down and pulled out a bunch of restricting crap. Took all that **** out and now we have a real waterfall shower.

So water is flowing like Niagara and more than hot. Still, I check the hot water heater that is set at 48 C. (118 freedoms) Too hot when only hot water, but I want to check how things are going for the hot water heater.

oh oh an error code I figure it's too much flow for the heater to keep up now, even only running one shower. It seems to work fine but I don't like the error code. I start to back it off to 47 C; it starts flashing E5 and the temp... that's better. 46 C only saw the error code pop once in 5 mins.
I've got it set at 45 C (113 freedom) and no errors.

This is the cold time of the year so the water coming in is about as cold as it gets, but the unit is handling it fine now backing down a bit, and the water is plenty hot for us still.

Plasmatic
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
49 - 01-30-2023, 16:31
Don't go chasing waterfalls SeVeReD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WEtxJ4-sh4

Edofnor
VeteranXX
Old
50 - 01-30-2023, 16:37
lol white ppl problems

SeVeReD
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
51 - 01-30-2023, 18:03
hey
it was my wife complaining about the water pressure more than me
and she's Mexican

Anyway
At my house in Oceanside my hot water heater vented through the roof....
Sounds like King is looking into that well, but ya, make sure the venting is right.

Mr Jimmy Pop
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
52 - 01-30-2023, 18:41
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSobieski View Post
i would need like a 6ft height above the tank to fit a new tube inside, correct?
Nah, drain the tank and tilt it as necessary

KingSobieski
VeteranXX
Old
53 - 01-30-2023, 22:09
I got the laundry drains re-piped today. Had a screwy S trap before and never drained good.

I think tomorrow I'll get the new water heater and get it setup in its new spot. This time the sucker is gonna be sitting on some bricks. I'll do as much hooking up as I can before I disconnect the old one. It'll probably have to be a Saturday thing though since I need the water + gas lines done at the same time. I havent worked with gas pipes before so thats a new one for me.

Then the ugly tub sink gets enough space to move into the closet so it's out of view.

There's a lot of moving parts to this project all of a sudden.

Last edited by KingSobieski; 01-30-2023 at 22:12..
Mr Jimmy Pop
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
54 - 01-31-2023, 08:31
Use gas rated sealant tape. Oh and do not tape a compression fitting, nothing annoys me more seeing that.

Last edited by Mr Jimmy Pop; 01-31-2023 at 08:35..
SuperTrap
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
55 - 01-31-2023, 08:41
I bought this house and gutted it. It was a model "electric" home at one time. Heated ceilings all electric. Then converted to gas because reasons and the previous owners viewed themselves as handy.. so of course it had to be gutted.

The gas water heater had been moved to bedroom closet and they had framed and sided a nice box for the vent pipe to go up the side of the house.

While removing the water heater we discovered they had forgot to make the connection to the vent pipe so for however many years.. it had been venting straight into their young girls bedroom.

Anyway..I vote water softener and tankless and do the yearly flush maintenance

KingSobieski
VeteranXX
Old
56 - 01-31-2023, 08:48
I put the order in on the countertop. Today we're gonna finish the laundry-side wall.

Plasmatic
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
57 - 01-31-2023, 18:23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jimmy Pop View Post
Nah, drain the tank and tilt it as necessary
Yep. Probably won't have to even drain it though, the tubes aren't as tall as the tank. There's the burner and other nonsense down there.

KingSobieski
VeteranXX
Old
58 - 02-01-2023, 15:23

changed the laundry drain to a stand up pipe with a P trap.
had a ****ty 1 1/4 S trap under the sink before. it was backing up all the time cause **** would get stuck in the sink and then when the machine emptied into the sink, itd just run over.

the idea was to open up this floor space more to keep laundry baskets out of the walk way

stub out for the new sink location. I think my system for sink drains in the future is sch40 pipe with a reducer to a sink tail piece. Im not gonna **** around with those queer homosexual screw together ****ty traps with the stupid little gaskets anymore.

the beginning of the dry wall shelves.

corner beads in

1st coat

the new countertop to go in.

wife disagrees with moving the sink. But i think, personally, when i do laundry, i need a ****ing table to put stuff.

Last edited by KingSobieski; 02-01-2023 at 15:39..
Plasmatic
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
59 - 02-01-2023, 15:24
Quote:

]

ok?

StapleMammal1
Veteran++
Contributor
Old
60 - 02-01-2023, 15:33
Quote:
Water Heater is going neigh on 16yrs.

Gives hot water for about 10 minutes and goes ice cold.

It's a tanked unit.

I'd like to change up to a tankless unit for some extra space.

Plus? Minus?
Gas? Electric?

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
tankless
nat gas

have nice day

Page 3 of 4

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [[Official]] Water Heater Thread

Social Website Bullshit