Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [[Official]] Water Heater Thread
Page 1 of 4
KingSobieski
VeteranXX
Old
1 - 01-18-2023, 09:53
Water Heater is going neigh on 16yrs.

Gives hot water for about 10 minutes and goes ice cold.

It's a tanked unit.

I'd like to change up to a tankless unit for some extra space.

Plus? Minus?
Gas? Electric?

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Sponsored Links
Brasstax
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
2 - 01-18-2023, 10:01
bant

Fool
Whiny BitchX
Contributor
Old
3 - 01-18-2023, 10:14
Tankless minus: It takes more time for the water to get hot, more so the further away the tap is from the heater.

KingSobieski
VeteranXX
Old
4 - 01-18-2023, 10:47
I got this old scary looking gas pipe in the basement. I got a sniffer and checked it (tip: it also works for farts) and its not leaking just looks like ****. I'd probably replace that with a new pipe too if I keep it nat. gas powered. I could run it with electric too pretty simple since I got a panel box there as well and just do away with the gas pipe all together, the last gas operated item in the house would just be the furnace.

But a gas powered one would need to have a fresh air pipe + exhaust pipe for installation?

Electric is just a box with 240v which would be a better simpler installation if that means not having to bore holes through the walls to get outside air access because my neighbor is a real *****.

Last edited by KingSobieski; 01-18-2023 at 10:52..
bugs_
VeteranXV
Old
5 - 01-18-2023, 10:58
During the big texas freeze a lot of tankless water systems burst their pipes - no slow warmup phase.

KingSobieski
VeteranXX
Old
6 - 01-18-2023, 11:53
im leaning towards electric tankless

1) less space
2) less work
3) maybe bigger $$ on operation but vs a 16yr old heater possibly the efficiency will even the field.

its in a heated basement.

as far as i know for construction in texas, you guys dont do basements and also cast your water pipes into the concrete slabs? thats insane.

KY usually will have either a basement or a crawl space for access to plumbing.

Basements only suck if they're built out of blocks (faster, cheaper, big $$$ repairs after 20yrs). The best types are poured concrete.

I got all the mechanicals down in the basement so it's all accessible and freeze protected.

Last edited by KingSobieski; 01-18-2023 at 11:57..
lemon
Sour++
Contributor
Old
7 - 01-18-2023, 11:55
have you tried flushing your old one

maybe replace the element

Flash
VeteranXX
Old
8 - 01-18-2023, 11:55
I prefer tankless even with the downsides mentioned. Actually just put in a new hot water tank to replace one that went bad, forgot to even consider tankless when I did it.

KingSobieski
VeteranXX
Old
9 - 01-18-2023, 12:09
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemontw View Post
have you tried flushing your old one

maybe replace the element
Not really. when i cleaned out the basement the floor joists had mold on them. I bleached, power washed, and sprayed linseed oil on the wood. The linseed oil helped oil up the old wood but it left little yellow piss colored drops on some things I didnt cover up (the water heater) so it actually looks like piss.

a tankless unit is like $500 not worth investing in the old one if its half filled up with sediments + you can fill the old one up with dirt and scrap it for some $$$

Plasmatic
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
10 - 01-18-2023, 15:21
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSobieski View Post

Replace the goddamn dip tube KS

JuggerNaught
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
11 - 01-18-2023, 15:25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSobieski View Post

It's a tanked unit.

I'd like to change up to a tankless unit for some extra space.

Plus? Minus?
Gas? Electric?

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
I have also been looking at this. It appears that there are 2 main ways that people deploy them. Either multiples for the whole house or point of use, but there doesn't appear to be a single TL system for a whole house because they can only heat so much water so so fast.

KingSobieski
VeteranXX
Old
12 - 01-18-2023, 16:14
Holy sh1t.

These bastards take 2x 50amp breakers to run?

Bigger ones take 3x 40amp breakers.

Not sure my house has enough juice at the box for a massive electric load like this is suggesting. JFC thats a lot of power.

lemon
Sour++
Contributor
Old
13 - 01-18-2023, 16:45
just hardwire it behind the panel

you really don't need breakers

Edofnor
VeteranXX
Old
14 - 01-18-2023, 17:20
breaker breaker 10-4 good buddy all the way

SeVeReD
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
15 - 01-18-2023, 17:21
I put in an electric tankless water heater and it is awesome. Both my wife and I are able to take showers at the same time run laundry...
I could have sworn I added the buying and install to my Mazatlan thread but I have not been able to find it in search.

We used to have a medium size tank under here; my wife has already filled up the space where it used to be.

We bought a German one and thought we could make the electrical work for it but that's where I realized these things are picky about the electrical. I took it back and got a Rheem RTX3-18.
The next important thing for me to figure out was how to run the proper electrical to it. So move the placement to the primary bathroom underneath the sink which has the electrical panel on the opposite wall and easy to get to.

Great placement for it because now I get instant hot water at the sink and at the primary shower.
Yeah you have to do the electric exactly how they specify and each model seems to be a little different.

Our building is all electric there is no gas. If you can do gas there are many choices and you don't have to deal with the electric.

Last edited by SeVeReD; 01-18-2023 at 17:34..
Edofnor
VeteranXX
Old
16 - 01-18-2023, 17:23
all that mexican food and no gas? u lie

SeVeReD
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
17 - 01-18-2023, 17:36
Our TJ apartment has a gas unit outside. Put it in like five or six years ago and have never had problems. Can't remember the name of it. Both the gas unit and the electric unit make the water hotter than I need.

Here in Mazatlan the water coming in is already not very cold even in the winter... So it doesn't take much to heat it up well. I think I could have gone for one of their smaller units and it would have heated all our water just fine.

The only downside I can think of is losing all that emergency water storage. But I keep four 5 gallon water bottles around

Last edited by SeVeReD; 01-18-2023 at 17:42..
Mr Jimmy Pop
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
18 - 01-18-2023, 17:57
Less work than replacing existing tank with same type? How much crack you smoke?

Easiest cheapest cost up front is replace it with same type water heater. You have a simple gas connection and two water connections. If this is your forever home, it maybe worth looking into to tankless if it***8217;s right for you.

SeVeReD
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
19 - 01-18-2023, 18:04
it'll be easy for me to take this thing if I move?
and 'cause I'm a dick

SeVeReD
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
20 - 01-18-2023, 18:13
My small tank used to run out of water in the condo. I like to take long showers and so does my wife. When we had the tank we were always running out of water, waiting for it to warm up for someone else, and it was annoying in the winter. Now we can both take showers at the same time and never run out of hot water.

Our electrical has been cheap here and the only time we notice **** is in the summer because we run air conditioning 24/7.

The cost between the tank and the tankless is prolly minimal. The tank was continually heating (and not very hot :/) while the tankless only comes on during my endless shower (that are very hot.)

Page 1 of 4

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [[Official]] Water Heater Thread

Social Website Bullshit