A Fair Critique of Shipping Container Homes

Are the 19.5 x 19.5 units even available yet?

Not sure. They have been stagnant. Funny, I watched that animation video again and had the thought "Opportunity Zone in a Box!".

Ugh. That may have been part of the business plan.

I think they only have that little Casita unit advertised. Who knows. Maybe Musk is buying the company.

ive looked into this, mainly to build a vacation house and go in it with a couple buddies. To actually do it right is too expensive and at that point you might as well just buy a normal place.

Coolest container house Ive seen was on the side of haleakala volcano in Maui near the bottom of the hill on a steep slope propped up on the downhill side by a stack of used tires. When you just need some wind/rain shelter and that's all, containers better than a tent.

As a bunker? Yea sure, cheaper than concrete. As a home? :lol: Wtf is considering this?

Everything is still required for construction, but now your home is a giant fucking heatsink for the sun. To make proper living spaces, you'd have to cut some open and extend them, which means adding proper support (and a roof).

The list of negatives is insanely long. The positives are... you get a basic frame set up quickly that you still have to modify significantly?

Don't you have any of these in Bumfuck, Nowhere Billybob? Thought it would be a nice thing to have in rural ass-backwards shitholes, unless nobody can afford them :shrug:

they have many of them and they r all filled w/ grain (rather than disgusting middle class white people w/ no legit job skills) b/c the usa isn't a cropless wasteland like britain

Only 100 years ago...

1921SEARSHOUSE.jpg

iu

iu

4500133df216a9d36000201d474bc161.jpg

Screen%2BShot%2B2016-07-31%2Bat%2B12.42.44%2BPM.png

etc etc etc

Here is one of those homes today... I think this one was a Vallonia or something.
2485442828_a3e9963693_b.jpg

Under 2G for all the materials.

This is what goes into a shipping container home from scratch. This series of videos goes over pretty much everything you can imagine start to finish:

:rofl: I watched two videos of this nonsense.

These people are fucking insane. The amount of work to get a shit metal box to work as a home is fucking astounding vs any other wood/block home. Wow.

:rofl: I watched two videos of this nonsense.

These people are fucking insane. The amount of work to get a shit metal box to work as a home is fucking astounding vs any other wood/block home. Wow.

Most 40's i've seen are trimmed out for about $35k, and that a very livable place for one or 2 people. Its pretty much a single wide trailer. If you put two highboys side by side and connect them, that makes a decent little structure to start with. There are a ton of places selling containers down by the port. Most of them will even pre-cut openings for you.

There are a lot of really nice examples of container homes out there. But like anything else, cool has a price tag

Back