Stop cheating in t3

Removing waypoints from the game would stop alot of possible cheats and private scripts (unfair advantages) and it would allow for better players to stand out even more.

NoGodForMe said:
To me, people who use scripts are the cheaters.

Please move along, you can't really talk about what scripts do/their extent unless you've played Tribes 1.

And if you did, and didn't use any scripts, good job getting out ski'd by everyone.

Satan- said:
Removing waypoints from the game would stop alot of possible cheats and private scripts (unfair advantages) and it would allow for better players to stand out even more.

That's so true too. Waypoint based cheats and straight-up visual(HappyFlag, etc) cheats are the two biggest problems I think are facing Tribes today. Eliminate waypoints, and you've removed half the problem.

Well screw autolock... missle launcher should go IMO. In terms of CRC/file checks, it's probably not a viable option in terms of reliability and resources @ sierra.

There could be a server-based recording ability that allows servers to record the actions of every player. Player communties could decide whether or not to use this option to moderate cheating.

OR (my favorite idea) the client could automatically take periodic screenshots and send them to the server over time (if the server requests it in some sort of tournament mode). If the screenshot could be handled efficiently, it could be reduced to under a couple hundred kilobytes and painlessly to a server over a 5-minute timespan (even for modem users). I assume that the system load of a screenshot will be negligable at the time the next tribes game is released.

Oh yes and I was always in favor of removing targeting waypoints/beacons alltogether... it's not valued much in competition because in almost every situation another offensive player is more valueable than improving the aim of another.

Just some FYI's from the t3.org Q/A thing.

Thrax said:
Happy is actually quite willing to work with us to fix any little issues he finds. He's always been great about such things with Marweas and me. Since it's a new engine specific cheats are only educational in a general sense, but we are familiar with most of the cheats out there (for tribes and other games).

Thrax said:
CRC: Any anti-cheat protection is still on the drawing board. As potential areas of risk are developed, engineers document the risk and we (as if I were actually going to write some of this code) will adress that doc later in development.

When my friends who played Tribes (this was long before I worked on Tribes) asked about scripts I explained to them that when people go to a pool hall, some just grab any stick off the wall, and some bring their own cue in a nice case. Sure, it's an advantage, but it requires an investment, and it doesn't ever make up for being a bad player. It's a matter of how serious you are about the game.

Marweas said:
When my friends who played Tribes (this was long before I worked on Tribes) asked about scripts I explained to them that when people go to a pool hall, some just grab any stick off the wall, and some bring their own cue in a nice case. Sure, it's an advantage, but it requires an investment, and it doesn't ever make up for being a bad player. It's a matter of how serious you are about the game.

So your saying every team should hire a scripter? My friends and I can be quite serious about the game but I dont see why we should have to be able to write scripts to stay competitive with others. Im here to play a game not write code.

No scripts i write for T3 will be private. I'm sure that's going to piss off all my teammates, but tough noogies. :p

Satan- said:
So your saying every team should hire a scripter? My friends and I can be quite serious about the game but I dont see why we should have to be able to write scripts to stay competitive with others. Im here to play a game not write code.

There's never been a shortage of scripts available for public download. I certainly never wrote a script in my life, though it was easy enough to see how to modify them if I wanted to. You shouldn't need them on pubs, but for competitive play some scripts are invaluable.

I've always held that it's up to the competitive governing body to determine what kind of scripts are allowed.

Satan's concern is that a team that has a scripter has a lot of private scripts which may or may not be providing them advantages over teams without access to that resource. His concern is reasonable.

I think you should also consider what types of cheats people will make, what types have been made for other games, and make them useless for the next Tribes one.

In Tribes 1:

auto-aim) weren't possible, because all of the weapons (bar laser) had a trigger delay, and the speeds you travelled/changed direction at were too much of a counter for it

auto-fire) also useless for any weapon other than laser

single-color textures) didn't help at all because being able to see players was not a problem

permanent indicators) have you considered removing indicators altogether, and just having player skins?
I know it's quite a step away from what Tribes is like, and may be difficult for new players (even though CS and Q3 [not TDM] are the same) HaPpY's Indicator cheats were just designed by NOP'ing a few lines of code in the executable

huge flag models) this could serve a problem, but no matter what type of CRC you incorporate, it is going to be cracked.
you want your play-screens to be as clean as possible, so the game looks attractive, and appears less complicated than it is.

waypoints) I do like having waypoints to bases, for newer maps which you're unsure of, and I like having beacons, because well-timed beacon stopping adds new abilities into the game (maybe remove the waypoint from them?)

nofog) probably the hardest one to combat, although I think the way T1 deals with it, is the player can't see anybody outside the visible distance regardless of if they're cheating or not. So No-Fog only showed you where people "could" be.

invisible weapon models) personally I think you should include a command similar to cg_drawWeapon, which hides the players gun model. I know this was included in T2, and I don't think it's much of a cheat, more of a personal preference. I use an invisible model for my laser in T1.

summary: I think the best way to counter cheats, is to just ensure the server sends no information to the client that isn't required.
Every single big Client-Side script from T1/T2 should be reviewed, and be considered whether it should be included in the actual game or not, with just a toggle.
On an entirely different note, for the controls setup.

I'd have one for just the basics, T2 had over 50 controls you had to review before you even went into the game. Just have movement, jumping/jetting, and next weapon keys.
They can go to the "Advanced" tab to setup all their other things once they're comfortable with the game.
I also loved how with T1, if Quickstar was enabled, you would jump straight to the server screen, and be ready to start a game.
The quicker a newbie/veteran is able to hop into a game, the more time they're going to spend playing and enjoying your product.

Marweas said:
There's never been a shortage of scripts available for public download. I certainly never wrote a script in my life, though it was easy enough to see how to modify them if I wanted to. You shouldn't need them on pubs, but for competitive play some scripts are invaluable.

I've always held that it's up to the competitive governing body to determine what kind of scripts are allowed.

jsut said:
Satan's concern is that a team that has a scripter has a lot of private scripts which may or may not be providing them advantages over teams without access to that resource. His concern is reasonable.

Exactly jsut. Marweas the ammount of private scripts that were out in T2 that are invaluable/helpfull now a days were all around privatly held by teams back in the early days of base: spam, bomberhud, waypointing scripts, ect. These were all unfair advantages held by teams who had scripters. They wont win games for the most part but they can give an unfair edge because one team has a coder and the other doesnt. Scripts are cool (for the most part; spam is getting old in T2) but only if everyone has access to them all so the playing field is even.

so is this a big 'wah' post

How do you plan on confirming these teams had these 'scripts' and were holding out on them?
Why would they suddenly release them?

Anyone that thinks that teams with scripters aren't bound to have private scripts are deluding themselves. I've made tons of stupid little scripts for people by request, many of them which were never released aside from the dcc to the requester. Most of these don't provide huge advantages though.

The ones that are a concern are things like the air waypointing scripts before they were public, or autowaypointing deployables (if someone has actually managed to do it automatically). Those types of things can cause serious imbalances in competative play.

Interesting point, jsut, satan. I think this discussion should be brought up once the announcement is made and we can talk in specifics rather than vague hints.

Back