Have you gotten better at video games?!

jerry

Veteran XX
I can't tell if I have! In some games, it is very clear due to divisional placement. Then, as seasons progress, it seems harder and harder to beat the mean. First season diamond, second season platinum, etc.

Is the competition just getting better? Do the matchmaking algorithms get more effective at segregating skill levels? Has the casual player population left the game?

I just don't know!

I mean, I think I have been above average at video games since I started playing online a couple decades ago but all of these systems make me believe I am spinning my wheels endlessly. Especially over the last couple years--I will pick up a new game, crush newbie ass, then begin to "struggle" after about twenty or thirty hours of gameplay. Then, it all feels incremental or even impossible to continue up a ladder or ranking system.

I play everything solo so I am truly at the mercy of the developer. Do too well for a few games and get stuck with a leaver or a griefer, etc. With enough time, I fully expect a 1:1 kill death ratio and/or win rate whether I am "trying" or not. WOW!

FUCK SKILL BASED MATCH MAKING! :)

IT TAKES THE JOY OUT OF ONLINE GAMING! :(

Last edited:
i've definitely gotten worse as i've gotten older but i also have a heard time staying focused now

Im getting better in Apex. Consistently putting respectable damage on the board now.

nUO9B6X.png

Last edited:
I catch on quickly so I normally stomp people early in a new games life cycle. Then later they start to outpace me... I still normally end up ranking in the division that is the top 20% of players and sometimes 10 if the divisions are split up that way. But never in the top top tier. This includes mobas, fps, card games and RPGs. Typically, if I return to a game I played when younger, I will end up better, because now I have a lot of time to research the strats/tactics at work, or watch top players on twitch. Where when I was younger , I would just play and figure it out.

if you want to find out if you're good at videogames see how high you rank versus others in the zachtronic games.

I can't tell if I have! In some games, it is very clear due to divisional placement. Then, as seasons progress, it seems harder and harder to beat the mean. First season diamond, second season platinum, etc.

Is the competition just getting better? Do the matchmaking algorithms get more effective at segregating skill levels? Has the casual player population left the game?

I just don't know!

I mean, I think I have been above average at video games since I started playing online a couple decades ago but all of these systems make me believe I am spinning my wheels endlessly. Especially over the last couple years--I will pick up a new game, crush newbie ass, then begin to "struggle" after about twenty or thirty hours of gameplay. Then, it all feels incremental or even impossible to continue up a ladder or ranking system.

I play everything solo so I am truly at the mercy of the developer. Do too well for a few games and get stuck with a leaver or a griefer, etc. With enough time, I fully expect a 1:1 kill death ratio and/or win rate whether I am "trying" or not. WOW!

FUCK SKILL BASED MATCH MAKING! :)

IT TAKES THE JOY OUT OF ONLINE GAMING! :(

Dude we play Rocket league and its Match maker is amazing...compared to the hair pulling Match maker of World of tanks that couldn't balance a game to save its life.....ive seen 13 game losing streaks in World of tanks and no matter how much your platoon carries the team always finds a way to go complete retard......But Rocket league its all about how you and your team plays skill wise.

be sure to rig the scripts.vol so that your light armor is better than the others you disk has larger aoe and shoots faster and then also install a 3rd party stats collecting software that lets you set peoples netsettings so they always miss and intentionally lags you also get hacked client that has higher packet rate and packet size than anyone else

then u can be like the 10 person noobie circlejerk that runs the tribes discord and tribes servers right now

also be sure to beg for a discord from people that arent authoritarian and then turn it into a police state of faggotry and kill a big pub in a 25 year old video game

Im getting better in Apex. Consistently putting respectable damage on the board now.

nUO9B6X.png

Heck ya my bro!

Unfortunately, however, Apex fits right into the bunch!

Others I have noticed an absolute grinding point built-in:

CSGO
SC2
Overwatch (HOLY SHIT THIS ONE IS BAD!)
Call of Duty: Warzone

I will get hooked on these games playing as free as I like, dominating the competition with my sick ass moves and aim.

Then, I will come to understand I can no longer play the game like an arena shooter and begin to refine my play (mostly hide and and bait teammates). Finally, I hit some type of ceiling where one game I am capable of carrying and the next I am matched up against what seems to be aimbots and wallhackers.

Ultimately, I give up! :(

worse. I don't have the time to sit down and practice aim, learn maps, routes, strategies, i barely have the time to sit and efficiently map out my keys some times. I usually don't place dead last in most games, but pretty close to it

be sure to rig the scripts.vol so that your light armor is better than the others you disk has larger aoe and shoots faster and then also install a 3rd party stats collecting software that lets you set peoples netsettings so they always miss and intentionally lags you also get hacked client that has higher packet rate and packet size than anyone else

then u can be like the 10 person noobie circlejerk that runs the tribes discord and tribes servers right now

also be sure to beg for a discord from people that arent authoritarian and then turn it into a police state of ******ry and kill a big pub in a 25 year old video game

i don't use cheat codes like i did when i was 12, and i manage to finish games now so ya, i think i'm better at most video games

i've become 2 old and slow 4 twitch style modern fps w/ all that pay2win autoaim and wallhack shit tho. i would probly lose dukematch w/ 1996 me like 100/100 times

I still seem to dominate FPS games, which is really all I play the rare times I do play. Most FPS games today are just campy shitfests though. I love the idea of battle royale, but the designers keep making games to where camping is rewarded.

If anything, I'm infinitely more calm and patient than when I was younger (raaaaaage), so my overall gameplay is smart/calculated. If I've lost twitch/raw skill, I don't notice it.

Last edited:
Usually end up placing gold/platinum ranks in whatever games I enjoy enough to play ranked in. I like ranked systems based on their MMR accuracy, as I'd rather play against people who are making the same level of mistakes as I am at whatever rank I'm sitting at, rather than going into matches where there are 20,000+ kill players. With streaming being a viable income for some people to live off, there are a ton more people who have 10+ hours a day to grind out and reach those top 10% tiers in the more popular competitive online games. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that a huge percent of the highest ranking players in most games are streamers. Hell, most games nowadays are ranked on their popularity based on how many people are watching someone stream it.

Not 'better', but I've still 'got it' in competitive FPS against real players. Surprising the skills don't really drop off with age that much. Becomes more the brain game than just flick and shoot reflexes.

Back