For anyone interested in the Ashbringer

Surge

Veteran X
http://wow.allakhazam.com/item.html?witem=13262
ashbringer.jpg

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?FN=wow-general&T=6238050&P=1

should read this thread, lots of theories and ideas about how to find it/get clues as to where it is.. a bunch of quests and and npc's point to the scarlet crusade and the ashbringer that was forged, but only a few directly mention it. past page 20 was pretty good, i only read the original post and the last 5 or so pages, good read if you're curious about the weapon

For some time now I have casualy been investigating one of the most interesting mysteries in Azeroth.

It all started when I was exploring a cave in the Western Plague lands long ago and I recived a bizzare item from one of the many silmes there: [Timolain's Phylactery] (http://wow.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?witem=15886).
phylactery: a scroll or roll (made of parchment), usually shown unfurled, sometimes containing lettering, signifying the Word of God.
Edit: In a fantasy setting Phylactery can also be a small box containing the soul of a powerful wizard or lich.

Now this interested me because no one I asked had the slightest clue what this was. The single piece of information I mannaged to gather was that Timolain was an Archmage of some power.

Armed with this information I set out to discover more about Timolain. Considering that I had found the Phylactery in the Plaguelands, that was the place to start looking. A quick stop at the Bulwark for suplies yielded instant results! It seems that there is a Tauren there who has something interesting to say...
He talks about an Archmage who worked for the Scarlet Crusade by crafting them magical bows and guns of power. However before any of them were put into service he crated a special weapon of incrdible power for the Scarlet Highlord. Without warning he was killed by the crusade, and nothing more is known of him.
Now this REALY peaked my intrest as I had also been following the story of Ashbringer.

Timolain > Crafted a powerful weapon for the Scarlet Highlord
Ashbringer > Sword of the Scarlet Highlord

It seemed that my own investigation was tied to the tale of Ashbringer...

That had me excited and I made haste to the Scarlet Crudade's stronghold in the Western Plaguelands, Hearthglen, to look for more clues. After much searching the only thing I discovered was a small shack behind the barracks with an alchemy lab and a forge. Knowing that Timolain was an Archmage and a weapon crafter, It seemed logical that this was his home. Unfortunatly there was nothing there that could help me figure out what happened to him.

Out of ideas I returned to where it all started, the cave full of slime to look for anything I may have missed. Imidiatly unpon ariving I noticed something that had been overlooked on my last visit. At the entrance to the cave there was an old overturned mining cart and some tools and skelatons. The tools and cart reminded me of the same ones that I had seen at the mine in Hearhthglen. It would seem that the Crusade had buisness here, dumping Timolain's remains I assumed, yet they had been killed while doing so.

After sharing this new information with my friends, one of them mentioned that he had been in the cave before and noticed that the very same slime I recived the Phylactery from was for some strange reason, a caster. This was bizzare as slime are not known for thier magical skills. It was very aperent that Timolain was brought to this cave, and likely fed to the slime to hide his remains. However the slime that absorbed him took more than just his body.

Now it seemed that I had solved the mystery of Timolain's death... however the mystery of what had happened to the weapons he created was still unsolved. Rumaging around the cave some more I remembered a passage from a book I had read, talking about Ashbringer and fishing.
Now this cave is right next to a river, so I left the cave and went down to the river beside it. I found nothing there. Seeing as how this had all happened a while ago, I thought it might be plausable that anything in the river had been washed down stream by the current. Following the river south I found exactly what I wanted to find: the smashed remains of a wagon and crates agianst a bridge. Could it be that this wagon was carrying the weapons Timolain had created, intending to dump them in the cave with him?

I have spent many days fishing at that river now, hoping to reel in some clue. But my resolve is fading with no results, so I bring this story to you. Perhaps another can carry on where I left off and uncover these weapons, or even the Ashbringer it's self!

*******MAJOR EDIT*******
I can't belive I didn't think of this earlier, all the pieces have been there.

My first invenstigation ended looking downstream from the cave in WPL.
The other major and seemingly unrelated part of this is the book by Nat Pagle and DM.
Perhaps we are just missing the connection between the two.

So continuing where I left off, you follow the river south and find what? The lake around Scholomance and Alterac Valley, both of the locatin where you can find the last page of nat's book. Now from reading the book you find that Nat learned about Ashbringer while he was fishing, but it doesn't say where he was fishing. The obvious next step is to figure out where he was fishing at the time.
So checking everywhere that we can confirm he has fished, we find: Dire Maul (another version of his book is here) and Zul Garub (his abandoned fishing camp). Now looking around both these areas we discover a new refrence to AShbringer! It would seem that the prince of Dire Maul knows where Ashbringer is, but what is more he likes to share stories with adventurers. Nat is known to have many incredible stories to tell himself, so it seems likely that if he met the prince, they would have a very good time telling eachother these stories. It looks like that is where he found out about Ashbringer's location, leaving the current end of the line with the Prince in Dire Maul.

If my thinking above is correct, then it would be a waste to wonder about the book, as it would seem to be only a pointer towards Dire Maul so you can find the prince.
The next step: How do you get the story out of him?

some people think killing nefarian and talking to the DM prince either with his head in your inventory or after turning nef's head in for the quest would pry a story out of him, but it sadly doesn't

bunch of people think the disguise you use for the scepter in the AQ quest disguising yourself as the gnome you see in tanaris has something to do with the prince, or figuring out how to read the book next to him in his hut that you can interact with that at the moment, does nothing (but you can still click it)

and is there a reason why you can pump up your fishing past 400 yet theres no reason to? few people are trying to fish in various areas for items that lead to other clues

it's probably just a big circle of clues and random npc text (the gnome in tanaris, npc's at the bulwark and chillwind who mention the ashbringer and the lich who made it, and was later killed by the scarlet crusade, etc) that just lead to nowhere because the quest isn't finished yet. but i do find it interesting that caydiem posted on the forums once, i think it was her, that theres still content in the game that's there but nobody has discovered yet. is the ashbringer some of it?

(btw i think it's ugly and the stats kinda suck for a legendary item. but it's not in the game yet, so the shit will probably change. or is it? :p )

It's pretty interesting, and a rogue on mal ganis who is obsessed with grinding faction has started buying rogue DM books and turning them in for faction

this guy doesen't give up, we're going to see what happens when he hits exalted

There's many NPC's around the world that will drop hints about ashbringer. Most are usually talking between two people and you might overhear a conversation about ashbringer in a bar or inn and such. I know there's a couple guys in guild really interested in it, so when they catch something they usually bring it up in gchat.

if blizzard *had* done this, it'd be great.

i have my doubts.

this guy certainly put alot of work into it and it'd be a great story if he got the sword in the end.

I would be really interested in discoving what is undiscovered, but if over 1million people havent found it in a year it probably requires either a few days playtime of grinding at least or a huge amount of luck on a drop.

Eh. I've got my World Destroyer and hopefully someday a Quel'Serrar (for tanking, I don't really give a shit about Thunderfury) and an Ashkandi (or if I really wanted to forfeit my social life, a GM Claymore). The Scarlets can keep their super-secret little sword for all I care.

*Apparently* someone on a server has one, however I'm not sure what it is, or if there is any truth in it at all. :-/

You can't get the item, currently. If someone is claiming they have it, I'm quite sure they are lying.

The picture above is fake. Someone simply replaced their weapon with an image of Ashbringer. It could simply be an Arcanite Reaper, or any other two-handed weapon.

If that pic is a fake, it's a very well-done forgery. Way more well done that should be warranted for this game.

On other note, that sword's bitchin'. I WANT THAT.

JuSTCHiLLiN said:
I don't have a warrior nor do I want to see any warrior get this so they can kill me in 1 hit rather than the current 2.

dont worry, insanity's edge will hit harder, have better stats, and a gouge proc

obviously the pic is fake, but the model is ingame

just swapped it with whatever he's wearing to show what it looks like ingame

I cant beleive no one has mentioned that the sword above is a paladin weapon...

The combined speed plus high DPS is what SOC looks for. Plus, its an instant 30-50+Holy Damage.

Who else can wield a two handed sword and do holy damage?

MaDAssassin said:

The combined speed plus high DPS is what SOC looks for. Plus, its an instant 30-50+Holy Damage.

lolllllll

I'll agree that if it drops that a guild shouldn't automatically give it to a warrior. A trend I'm quite tried of. For example, a few months back when the first Spinal Reaper dropped an enhancement (melee spec for you alliance types) wanted it an was tops in our guilds DKP. The warrior running the raid didn't award it until the shaman was pressured out of taking it and giving it to a warrior. Sure, a warrior gets it a can 2 hit a mage but a shaman that pvps would make great use of it.

MaDAssassin said:

Like the 1st one of THOSE any guild got they'd give to the Heal/Buff-Bot 9000...

Back