lvl 38-40 cash options

Feannag said:
I'm 38 as well and I made 15g in one day selling potions, stacks of silk, and stacks of kingsblood. Swift pots always work well, and healing potions should be steady, as well as silk cloth when you can find it. But I also have people coming to me with orders of potions for various crafts, that makes some decent coin.

I'm going to scan the AH again to see what's viable here.

So far, due to the nature of this server things like pots seem to be very cheap and high supply. But like a good little capitalist, im gonna recheck to see if i cant make a profit just turning mats into goods.

My instinct tells me i'll do better just selling the mats at this point, unless the mats are used for other stuff or jsut really rare.

Feannag said:
I found a good grinding spot is along the river in Alterac north of Dalaran. No XP on those turtles so you don't have to worry about hitting 40, they are easy to kill and those fragmented shells sell for about 46s a stack and drop very frequently. Even then you can make more money vendoring soothing turtle brisque, and you still profit after taking into account cost of soothing spices.

But this little gnome wanted Lesser Agility elixirs for Dark Leather Shoulders and I sold him three, and two of them sold on AH for 1g a piece so now he's looking for people to make him the stuff in bulk.

Ooh, nice.

Personally, i wish to god they made a subsection of the AH for "food" under consumables so that we could potentially sell food with buffs.

for the record... fadeleaf continues to be the best and most consistent item (also have done a few pots, various disenchants, charms, etc)

i also found out i could plow my way right into SM Graveyard as a lvl 38 hunter. all you need to do is kill pairs of 31/32 elites to get in there and then it's all gravy.

at my lvl, SM GY is about 5g an hour in raw cash + all the drops (gobs of greens, silk, etc). it's just a complete pain in the ass from the alliance side...

Pagy said:
theres always enchanting too

i made a bunch on malgoonis just buying cheap greens and denching them

Enchanting is a fucking GOLD MINE for newbies with even a little bit of cash.

I scrounged up a bunch of garbage greens in Westfall on my Warlock alt on Illidan, and all the mats I didn't need for grinding enching I put to the AH. My finest triumph was getting a Lesser Astral Essence (IIRC) from some quest green I got that was useless to me...hit the 1g mark at level fucking 9 when I sold it on the AH. I almost shit myself with joy, considering my lock on Mal'Ganis was so poor he made Dr. Zoidberg look like Donald Trump.

So the good news is, my little lvl 14 alt is bathing in cash. The bad news is that I'll still have to grind him to at least lvl 16 before he can spend any of that cash on GOOD gear from the AH. :(

TseTse said:
at my lvl, SM GY is about 5g an hour in raw cash + all the drops (gobs of greens, silk, etc). it's just a complete pain in the ass from the alliance side...

Tell me about it...all those Horde "ambassadors" always waiting to greet me at the cathedral steps on Illidan...I'm taking DoT just thinking about it. :(

Swamp of Sorrows is a gold mine for Herbalists at your level. Tons of fadeleaf, along with blindweed, which may not sell as well, but the place is flooded with it regardless.

swamp of sorrows Fadeleaf + farming SM Graveyard = more than 90g at lvl 40 :D

the charms could have been a big hit, and i'd suggest others consider them when in the 30-40 range, but it just didnt sell well during the week. perhaps it is better on weekends (im saving them to try again)

Chaol said:
Swamp of Sorrows is a gold mine for Herbalists at your level. Tons of fadeleaf, along with blindweed, which may not sell as well, but the place is flooded with it regardless.

Fadeleaf isn't as common as you may think there, and there's all sorts of blindweed out the ass. Khadgar's Whisker too but that doesn't sell.

The only reason Swamps are a good candidate for fadeleaf is rarely anyone is there.

I just hit lvl 39 rogue, I'll see if I can bust into SM graveyard.

actually, SoS is simply excellent for fadeleaf if you know the route. however, alterac, hinterlands and arathi also have decent routes if you know where to go.

but indeed, SoS is ideal cuz it's also relatively quiet.

TseTse said:
actually, SoS is simply excellent for fadeleaf if you know the route. however, alterac, hinterlands and arathi also have decent routes if you know where to go.

but indeed, SoS is ideal cuz it's also relatively quiet.

Well my guildmate consistently puts 20 stacks of fadeleaf on AH every day or so, and he says he doesn't get it in either Dustwallow or Swamp of Sorrows. Does the graveyard in SW have fadeleaf as well? And what are these routes? I look around and look at patterns on Gatherer but I can't find a pattern for fadeleaf.

Any suggestions? I need 63g for my mount around 14% into level 39 and I can't consistently find lots of fadeleaf.

i hit 120g when i bought my mount last night :D

at 39... i'd say focus on SM GY. Don't put all your efforts into fadeleaf, but DO try to get some up on the AH. It might sell very consistently but you don't want to flood too much at one time (i've sold sooo much in the past 3 days and the prices continue to bounce back up to 50s a piece, even though im selling for 35s a piece).

you MAY also want to check stranglekelp prices on the AH. if it's a good gig, that's easy as hell to farm without any problems in ashenvale for horde and wetlands for allianc.

here are several lvl 39ish options for fadeleaf. please dont link to these pics...

Swamp of Sorrows: this will get you tons of fadeleaf if you arent running into a lot of other farmers.

You may want to invest in Artisan herbalism for this, so that you can pull the blindweed nodes or else all the groupings might end up stuck in a blindweed spawn. 4g well spent, imo.

As a general rule, i picked EVERYTHING on my farm routes because my understanding is that things spawn in clusters. Of say 4-5 nodes, only 1 will spawn. If it's blindweed... you need to pick it in order for chances at the other nodes to pop next time around... etc.

Whelps and the weird tree mobs also drop decent cash.

fade_sos.jpg

Arathi: this will get you tons of fadeleaf, as well.

If your server also has a market for Charms, you can stop and kill elementals at each step. Heck, even the vendor trash they drop sells good.

You may also pick up a lot of kingsblood which is always valuable.

fade_arathi.jpg

Alterac: i dont think many are aware of these spots at all.

You can get liferoot and khadgar's here too. This can be a very quiet run through back areas, with perhaps occassional farmer or quester.

If you are really after liferoot as well, this can be a sweet run. You just have to decide how to spend your time getting back to the start :D

Somebody above also suggesting grinding the turtles in the area for their drops. Good cash apparently, but i havent done it.

fade_alterac.jpg

Last edited:
I was the one who suggested the turtles actually. You can make money cooking brisque profiting even after the cost of spice and the turtles drop vendor trash that stacks in 5 for about 46s a stack (Fragmented turtle scales) and if you skin you'll make that much in leather as well.

I won't link the pics but I did save them on my drive. I knew there was a lot of wild steelbloom in Arathi too.

I already sold 80 kingsblood, whenever I go that stuff is everywhere so it's not hard to gather. And I was an Artisan Herbalist since lvl 32, my skill's currently at 294.

Fadeleaf on our server goes for about 1g a piece now, and it always sells. We rogues eat through blinding powder like no one's business and people need it to make the stuff.

Last edited:
OK, did some follow-up note taking runs...

This is just 1 sample per zone so it's only a rough snapshot. I'm also doign these on MOUNT at lvl 40, so be aware the times indicated do not imply being on foot.

Alterac

Southshore to Southshore took about 23 minutes. Killed about 10 humanoids, so a little cash, cloth, 1 chest and some junk drops.

7 kingsblood
2 bruiseweed
8 fadeleaf
10 liferoot*
7 khadgar's
4 goldthorn
3 briarthorn

* the kingsblood and liferoot together make for 7 greater heal pots from 1 run

Arathi

Refuge Pointe to Refuge Pointe took 15 minutes flat. Killed 1-2 mobs. A few stones.

7 fadeleaf
11 goldthorn
2 liferoot
3 khadgar's
5 wild steelbloom

Swamp of Sorrows

From entrance to Blasted Lands back to the entrance, it was under 10 minutes. Killed 3-4 mobs.

Since it was only 10 minutes i did the run twice to be more comparable to the Alterac run.

12 fadeleaf (4 on the first run & 8 on the second)
10 goldthorn (5 and 5)
37 blindweed (13 and 24)
14 liferoot (7 and 7)
7 khadgar's (3 and 4)

IN OTHER WORDS, these are all pretty solid routes and your choice perhaps is going to be determined by the nature of your server. The "other" mats you farm can be worth a lot and you also might consider how many other players are in the area.

Personally, I'm still liking SoS and also really like Alterac now seeing all that liferoot + kingsblood from one run.

That said, i should also note that Alterac implies a lot more travel than SoS yet not as many mobs to dash around. It's thus debatable about the time comparisons for lvl 37-39 given how small the SoS farm zone is yet how many aggro points there are. Your class and style of play might be a factor.

Last edited:
There is a cave in STV that has baselisks in it. You can farm that cave, collecting items that drop from the baselisks and then skinning them for about 10g an hour, if you are efficient. That is how I payed for my mount.

I ran around Swamp of Sorrows and got a reasonable amount of Fadeleaf in little under 15 minutes. Some mobs but not too much. Some Liferoot and Khadgar's Whisker and a LOT of Blindweed. You can vendor a full stack of Blindweed for 75s. Yeah it's 20 but I always get three a patch and they are everywhere. The quests can be solo-ed with a late 30 rogue, and getting supplies to Nethergarde offers a chance for a decent reward.

I plan on mucking aroun Dustwallow next chance and see what Fadeleaf I can get there. Swamps always seem to have dense concentrations of herbs.

herbalism:

ghost mushroom-GOLDEN- hinterlands caves
fadeleaf-GOLDEN- Arathi
swiftthistle- GOLDEN- duskwood/westfall
mountain silversage- Major heal pots!- Un'goro
dreamfoil- GOLDEN- Un'goro
khagdar's whisker- sup. heal pots, good to farm midway- STV
sungrass- sup. heal pots, good to farm midway- Hinterlands
stranglekelp- eventually a waste of time to farm because it is too spread out- wetlands
golden sansam- Major heal pots! -Un'goro
gromsblood- Elixar of Giants, flask of titans :eek:
wildvine- found with purple lotus, tailors/leatherworks need!
heart of the wild-GOLDEN. I don't know who buys this, I just know they do.
blindweed (mmmmmmmmmmmmm invul. potion)- un'goro
kingsblood- STV/Alteric/Hilsbrad- use for thorium brotherhood faction. 5g a stack for easily farmed product (minus pvp worries)

purple lotus is ok for the Dark Iron server but as the economy gets established it will drop in price
because it is all over the place. it does drop wildvine from time to time

waste of time:
goldthorn
liferoot
grave moss
arthas tears
firebloom

liferoot and gravemoss look good at first but liferoot is too common and gravemoss isn't used enough.

mining is nice for when you get to ghost mushrooms because there are nice veins inside of caves as well.

elessar, most of those listed arent in range of lvl 39s.

Feannag said:
I ran around Swamp of Sorrows and got a reasonable amount of Fadeleaf in little under 15 minutes. Some mobs but not too much. Some Liferoot and Khadgar's Whisker and a LOT of Blindweed. You can vendor a full stack of Blindweed for 75s. Yeah it's 20 but I always get three a patch and they are everywhere. The quests can be solo-ed with a late 30 rogue, and getting supplies to Nethergarde offers a chance for a decent reward.

i rotate SoW and alterac.

fadeleaf demand is so strong that i cannot keep up and the prices remain high no matter what (i just hope nobody floods with a stupid price).

yes, blindweed sells really nicely too which is what makes SoS so nice.

goldthorn does sel nicely. so does liferoot and kingsblood.

each server will have unique markets, of course. i like to do sample testings and go with the lower volume markets.

Last edited:
Back