Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page FilePlanet pulled T2?
Page 2 of 5
PyroTechNix
Unregistered
Old
21 - 05-06-2004, 10:33
Arhh. I am new to the t2 community, i tried dling from fp 3 times, all 3 times i got CRC errors when i ran the installer. But I did manage to get a key.
Either way Iam screwed now.... someone please post a mirror.

Sponsored Links
Menzo
Not Sierra Anymore
Old
22 - 05-06-2004, 10:41
Ok, couple pieces of information you guys need in order to have a bit of a reality check:

1. The number of downloads listed on FilePlanet is around 50,000. This is great, except the number ticks up every time someone STARTS a download, not when they finish it. The actual number of finished downloads is about 15% of those who start it. Still, even 7,500 people getting through a 600MB download is pretty good.
2. We told FilePlanet to only distribute 5,000 CD-keys in order to limit the possibility that the Tribes 2 account generation server would explode. I'm not a tech guy, but the way our IT folks were talking made it sound like it was completely possible that a huge influx of new Tribes 2 players all at the same time would warp the space-time continuum, cause global warming, kill my cat, and sleep with my girlfriend. Seriously, they said it could be bad and that it could crash the server, and since nobody around here knows the voodoo science necessary to get the server up and running again, we decided that it would be best to simply limit the number of keys distributed.

This is probably the cause of a lot of the delays in people getting their keys from FilePlanet. It was actually quite smart of them to make it hard to get the keys given so many people start but never complete the download. Why should we hand out 50,000 keys when 90% of them will never need it?

We need to look at how our servers are holding up to the relative onslaught of new accounts and determine if we can give FilePlanet the OK to distribute more CD-keys. Given that E3 is in a couple days, however, it's possible that our guys are a little distracted with more important things - things that actually make us money.

So, in the end this was a lot of hassle for us. Yes, we did it to hype Tribes: Vengeance, but anyone who suggests that that was the only reason doesn't know us. It simply would not have been worth all of the trouble and internal political crap that Thrax and I had to go through in order to push this through for an incremental Tribes: Vengeance publicity hit. Giving away Tribes and Tribes 2 makes sense for us as a company and it was a great experiment. I consider it a success and it's possible, even likely, that you'll see us do the same thing with other games in the near future.

Everything did not go according to plan, but nothing crashed and burned, either. Giving away a 600MB game that requires a CD-key to play is not easy, let me assure you.

PyroTechNix
Unregistered
Old
23 - 05-06-2004, 11:11
Menzo, to a large extent i have no argument with you, i very much appreciate the free release of t1 and t2. I am an old T1 player up until 2002. I bourght T2 when it first came out, firstly it crashed, and secondly was unplayable on my machine, even though my specs were greater then the min as stated on the box. I subsequently sold my T2 copy, and went back to T1. Basically I gave up on any further incarnation of tribes. Now i hear T2 works a lot better, i have a suped up system, and its free. So why not give it another try, especially since TV looks like it might rekindle my Tribes love. But in reality it is not free, it is a limited give away.

You guys should have stressed it was a limited give away and not really a free game now. Iam sorry but it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Phaseshift
VeteranXV
Old
24 - 05-06-2004, 11:17
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroTechNix
Menzo, to a large extent i have no argument with you, i very much appreciate the free release of t1 and t2. I am an old T1 player up until 2002. I bourght T2 when it first came out, firstly it crashed, and secondly was unplayable on my machine, even though my specs were greater then the min as stated on the box. I subsequently sold my T2 copy, and went back to T1. Basically I gave up on any further incarnation of tribes. Now i hear T2 works a lot better, i have a suped up system, and its free. So why not give it another try, especially since TV looks like it might rekindle my Tribes love. But in reality it is not free, it is a limited give away.

You guys should have stressed it was a limited give away and not really a free game now. Iam sorry but it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

WTF is wrong with you?

Menzo
Not Sierra Anymore
Old
25 - 05-06-2004, 11:22
I dunno - there are hundreds of thousands of DVD-packed Computer Gaming World magazines sitting on store shelves that haven't been bought. The limited number of CD-keys was for downloads from Fileplanet only. That doesn't sound very limited to me.

As to why we didn't say it was a limited giveaway from the start - it's simple - we (or more specifically I) were not aware of the issues with the server side of things until after everything was set into motion.

oDDable
VeteranXX
Old
26 - 05-06-2004, 11:42
Quote:
Originally Posted by borlaK
joined a lakrabbit game last night

the guy with the flag was medium, down in the water on the map Damnation.. two other guys were heavies and throwing mortars seemingly randomly around the map..

the medium guy managed to get out of the water and shoot a disc at me, but he didn't jet or ski

then later I got vote kicked by someone for cheating.. guess they had never seen an MA
Its beautiful isn't it?

Techlogic
VeteranX
Old
27 - 05-06-2004, 11:48
Quote:
Originally Posted by borlaK
then later I got vote kicked by someone for cheating
CHEATER!!

Colosus
my pronouns are..
Contributor
Old
28 - 05-06-2004, 11:51
Actually, Fileplanet did say that CD keys were limited right when they posted. But if you haven't downloaded and still want the game, go buy a copy of CGW. $8 on newstands. Both T1 and T2 on DVD along with a lot of other games, demos, utilities. Worth the 8 bucks.

Yogi
Tribalwar Staff
Old
29 - 05-06-2004, 11:51
Menzo lies. He doesn't have a girlfriend.

PyroTechNix
Unregistered
Old
30 - 05-06-2004, 11:59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menzo
I dunno - there are hundreds of thousands of DVD-packed Computer Gaming World magazines sitting on store shelves that haven't been bought. The limited number of CD-keys was for downloads from Fileplanet only. That doesn't sound very limited to me.

As to why we didn't say it was a limited giveaway from the start - it's simple - we (or more specifically I) were not aware of the issues with the server side of things until after everything was set into motion.
Yeah, i just wanted to vent some flustration, after getting a key, but not being able to dl it. (phaseshift: my isp sucks / fp sucks / i hate my job / you got a potty mouth, i dunno pick one ).

Anyways I guess ill pick up the magazine, if no one posts a mirror.

ZOD
VeteranX
Old
31 - 05-06-2004, 12:23
Are they going to issue more keys to FP? Sounds like it. I hope so? I got my copy but the countless thousands of nubs, please won't you think of the nubs?

Silence
VeteranX
Old
32 - 05-06-2004, 12:34
Why limit the FP keys (to 5k) when there are "hundreds of thousands" of magazines that have the key in them. The argument about server load doesn't make much sense in that regard.

Colosus
my pronouns are..
Contributor
Old
33 - 05-06-2004, 12:37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silence
Why limit the FP keys (to 5k) when there are "hundreds of thousands" of magazines that have the key in them. The argument about server load doesn't make much sense in that regard.
Magazine sales go slower than downloads.

Void|deadjawa
VeteranX
Old
34 - 05-06-2004, 13:06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silence
why are you arguing the logistics of distributing a game with a game distributor?

Razer
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
35 - 05-06-2004, 13:16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menzo
So, in the end this was a lot of hassle for us. Yes, we did it to hype Tribes: Vengeance, but anyone who suggests that that was the only reason doesn't know us. It simply would not have been worth all of the trouble and internal political crap that Thrax and I had to go through in order to push this through for an incremental Tribes: Vengeance publicity hit. Giving away Tribes and Tribes 2 makes sense for us as a company and it was a great experiment. I consider it a success and it's possible, even likely, that you'll see us do the same thing with other games in the near future.
Just out of curiousity, who had the idea for this free give away? And what was the reasoning, besides the publicity? Community good will?

sYs|yavor
VeteranXX
Old
36 - 05-06-2004, 13:31
ROFL again. I don't understand this thinking that in the era of internet the "world" means "USA". There are thousands of players around the world interested in Tribes 2. They can't buy CGW because they don't live in USA. You, Sierra, increased their hope, you said that this game will be "FOR FREE". And you give 5000 keys only? The game has been sold in half million of copies and you tell us now that you gave 5000 keys because your servers could crashed? They worked properly in 2001, strange...

Was it really too hard to say that there will be 5000 keys available? Was it really too hard to give 100000 keys to FilePlanet with the limit 5000 (or less) keys per day? Releasing of T1 & T2 was a marketing thing or not? After reading polish forums I'm sure it has nothing to do with marketing of Sierra, because most of comments are really hard to translate (try to guess, why).

Is this a curse or something?

Silence
VeteranX
Old
37 - 05-06-2004, 13:32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Void|deadjawa
why are you arguing the logistics of distributing a game with a game distributor?
To me it doesn't really matter if he's a 'game distributor' or not. Even if he is, doesn't make him invulnerable to mistakes. I simply looked at the info and it just doesn't make much sense. Sure magazines usually sell slower, but they can also sell much faster depending on distribution, advertising, anticipation for the game etc...

Anyhow, I just got a key from FP, so it seems they're giving away more.

ZOD
VeteranX
Old
38 - 05-06-2004, 13:55
He "Menzo" had nothing to do with FP sucking the pipeline. Menzo and Thrax put their arses on the line for this community more then once and get reamed by ungrateful bastards for it. Don't come off bashing them two. Bash VU by all means if just only because they are French.

But Menzo and thrax deserve the

So straighten out the panties and back the fudge off.

nazbot
VeteranX
Old
39 - 05-06-2004, 13:56
Computer gamers are fickle. I know poeple that won't buy HL2 because they feel Valve 'trixed' to them.

Good work menzo getting this out there, and good luck getting other free games into my grubby little paws.

BrainSt0rm
VeteranX
Old
40 - 05-06-2004, 14:15
Giving T1 and T2 away to hype T:V was some bloody brilliant marketing methinks.

Anyone that won't buy T:V (or HL2 for that matter) because they feel they were duped in some way, I doubt will be missed.

Page 2 of 5

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page FilePlanet pulled T2?

Social Website Bullshit