[CONCLUSTION] How I fixed my leak, and a new moisture problem that needs solving

Reggs

Veteran XX
I can't find the thread now, but a short recap, want to sell my house and move out of state. Started to work on musty humid basement, then a big leak occurred that got worse and worse. I eventually fixed it to the degree that water does not leak into the house.

In the below pic, I already put some quick setting concrete made for moisture to seal moisture in suspected crack, but here it is still flooded after a rain. Every time I tried something I just had to wait until it would rain then go down there and watch to know if it worked.

huZl8zH.jpg

Here is the outside, notice the electrical hardware going into the house and correspond with it on the interior pic. At the bottom of the stone wall is the hole that water comes out of when it rains:

h5lth3I.jpg

This is lower than all the dirt around it, so it pools up here and pools against the house:

xkVRA6g.jpg

Water also seemed to enter here under this door, but I was not sure if it was an entry point or not. The concrete on the outside was chipped and not really sticking to the floor:

z7PH91G.jpg

I sealed all that with new concrete after chipping all the old out:

z80VVuJ.jpg

Septic system guys came out for a matter unrelated to this. I was chatting them up and brought up moisture. They took an interest. They said they don't do this kind of work at all, but had an idea they'd do for free but politely asked for a testimonial they could use from me. I had nothing to lose and they put this big PVC pipe in that connected the hole water comes out of to the plastic gutter accessory, which they cut a hole in the side of.

This did absolutely NOTHING. Still, they did it for free:

QULP1zI.jpg

It flooded again in 2 days after this. At this point I put more concrete inside sealing where floor meets wall to a generous degree, but trying not to make it too noticeable to the eye.
This was after I moved out, which means the house is basically completely empty. I had no shovel so I used the claw end of a hammer and dug a trench parallel to the failed PVC pipe for a few feet in an effort to direct water away from the house:

i2Yeas5.jpg

Then I dug a perpendicular trench leading away from the house, toward where the camera is, in this pic. At the end I made the trench fork so are lots of places for the water to go away from the house.

7WZq5Ab.jpg

That's how I stopped the leak. It's been many weeks and I drove out to the house today and it had rained last night, dry inside.

NEW WATER PROBLEM:

It never ends with the water. This is a mystery to me. Outside the house there is this PVC pipe that comes up out of the ground. The thing is, it's just a bit below ground level. I've honestly never noticed this before. Maybe it was burred before? Anyway, water seems to come out of it. I have not seen water come out of it, but the ground around it is very soggy. Does not smell like sewage or anything. Im alarmed how soft it makes the ground, although this pipe is like 13-15 feet away from the house. Any ideas what it is? Im guessing if I plug it up it would just cause water problems less than 15 feet away from the house.

WJpskMj.jpg

Last edited:
Have dug into a septic tank yet? Get a ditch witch and pull that thing out ;)

Trivia: Septic Tanks are why we are called Seppos over here in the US.

Good god man, I'm glad you finally got that water away from the house where it belongs. Most basement water problems are from bad runoff. You need to get that shit away from the house or it will saturate the ground and find a way in.

The plastic pipe in the yard is probably a sump pump discharge or downspout discharge.

Also
Ozone Machines and Home Moisture by Reggs - TribalWar Forums

Last edited:
Those pipes typically go all the way to China and if you throw enough fireworks down there you'll seal it up for ever.

if your having rain water in the house you need to french drain away from the house, if your house is on an incline just move the drain downhill if not then you may need to install a sumppump and run somepvc to move it away from the house. You will not be able to sell this house until this is resolved and if you hide it they will know first rain and come after you. GLHF

That will be connected to your house guttering

drain pipe, down pipe whatever you Yanks call it

(Yank = Septic tank, ok me old china)

Where does the suspected sump pump discharge water come from? What water is that?

I know where a spetic overflow pipe is, and this is not it. The water coming out of that one, the last pic in OP post, is not sewage.

What should be done to solve this?

Back