Do you even keyboard by Plasmatic - Page 2 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Do you even keyboard
Page 2 of 5
View Poll Results: What keyboard do you use, pick all that apply.
Regular size ANSI (USA) 27 54.00%
Regular size ISO (Europe) 4 8.00%
Tenkeyless 9 18.00%
68 key layout 3 6.00%
60% 4 8.00%
Custom layout 4 8.00%
Split keyboard 5 10.00%
Custom ergonomic 5 10.00%
Back lit single color 9 18.00%
RGB back lighting 23 46.00%
No back lighting 10 20.00%
Rubber dome switch (on most keyboards) 7 14.00%
Linear mechanical switch 13 26.00%
Tactile mechanical switch 8 16.00%
Clicky Mechanical switch 17 34.00%
Hybrid switch 5 10.00%
None, smearing poop on my phone right now. 13 26.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

HaPpY
VeteranXX
Old
21 - 08-19-2021, 18:35
ya i went with linears on mine. since they offer the lowest noise potential... if u dont bottom out, which i have a hard time avoiding but getting there

but from what i gather of the mech kb community most prefer tactcile and dont care about being loud - aka autists

Last edited by HaPpY; 08-19-2021 at 18:38..
Sponsored Links
Plasmatic
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
22 - 08-19-2021, 19:16
Yeah, the basement autists are another category. Most same people stay away from the clicky switches because we like our family and being around other people.

I bought this keyboard with cherry mx brown tacticle, and bought a set of cherry mx silent reds to play with. The silent switches have bumpers at the bottom and top of the stroke, about as quiet as you can get.

I picked up a cherry mx switch sampler a while back, here's a comparison of the switch sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLpw_NCbV1c

There's even more you can do to make is quieter. Lube on the internal parts, film to make the switches snap together tighter, small 'O' rings on the stems, foam under the keycaps, and more. I just ordered a nicer set of key stabilizers for my board to keep the rattling down. They even make a laser cut foam set to make it even quieter.

Data
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
23 - 08-19-2021, 20:18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoe View Post
i don't see the point of anything other than a membrane keyboard
The biggest draw for me was keycaps with legends that don't wear off after 6 months of regular use. I've never seen a rubber dome board with doubleshot caps -- or even dye sublimated. Doesn't mean they don't exist, but it would be a unicorn.

The other big draw is ergonomics. The options available in the mech space put consumer boards like the MS Natural to shame. And I say that as a big fan of MS Natural keyboards. But even just switching to a "normie" layout with boutique mechanical switches makes a huge difference in long-term typing experience.

It's not for everyone. I had to learn how to solder and a bit about electronics (especially RGB diodes) to get the most out of the hobby. But it was a fun ride and rewarding experience for the 4-ish years I spent doing it.

Plasmatic
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
24 - 08-20-2021, 00:23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data View Post
The biggest draw for me was keycaps with legends that don't wear off after 6 months of regular use. I've never seen a rubber dome board with doubleshot caps -- or even dye sublimated. Doesn't mean they don't exist, but it would be a unicorn.

The other big draw is ergonomics. The options available in the mech space put consumer boards like the MS Natural to shame. And I say that as a big fan of MS Natural keyboards. But even just switching to a "normie" layout with boutique mechanical switches makes a huge difference in long-term typing experience.

It's not for everyone. I had to learn how to solder and a bit about electronics (especially RGB diodes) to get the most out of the hobby. But it was a fun ride and rewarding experience for the 4-ish years I spent doing it.
Yeah, it's a rough hobby to get into. Do you have pictures of your builds out there somewhere, I'd like to see them!

After typing on a nice one for so long it was hard to use an inferior board.

I picked up an ok mechanical board when my old faithful mechanical board with Cherry mx browns started acting up. I had already taken it apart more than a few times to clean or after liquid spills. >15 of the back lighting leds didn't work, and it was just time for something new. I ended up with a Logitech G512 Carbon, but I missed the nice feel of the old board, and the software for the back lighting was terrible. Tried new key caps, but it still didn't feel nice like the old board. After quite a bit of research I ended up with the Drop CTRL. Newer boards like the ones Data and I use have hot swapable key switches to you can really get in there and change things up without much of an investment or learning to solder. Hell, you can even buy switches lubed from the factory, and cherry has introduced silent key switches.

Last edited by Plasmatic; 08-20-2021 at 00:43..
HaPpY
VeteranXX
Old
25 - 08-20-2021, 00:48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmatic View Post
Yeah, the basement autists are another category. Most same people stay away from the clicky switches because we like our family and being around other people.

I bought this keyboard with cherry mx brown tacticle, and bought a set of cherry mx silent reds to play with. The silent switches have bumpers at the bottom and top of the stroke, about as quiet as you can get.

I picked up a cherry mx switch sampler a while back, here's a comparison of the switch sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLpw_NCbV1c

There's even more you can do to make is quieter. Lube on the internal parts, film to make the switches snap together tighter, small 'O' rings on the stems, foam under the keycaps, and more. I just ordered a nicer set of key stabilizers for my board to keep the rattling down. They even make a laser cut foam set to make it even quieter.
id probably try to quiet this thing more but the female stopped waking up since my last mech kb buy so its all good... plus this logi is more proprietary and dont think theres any off the shelf options anyway.

and those who like the noise are probably hypocrits... cuz if they like good gear then they should also care about audio which a loud kb would interfere with.

Brasstax
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
26 - 08-20-2021, 04:18
I went from mechanical keyboards to Logi MX key late last year. In general, I have come to love using it. It's quiet. Not silent as they say but a pleasant sound especially when you bang the space bar with a thumb. I thought the low profile keys would be an issue but I find that it made my typing more efficient. I thought it would be weird. But, nope.

I would buy one again. It still looks and acts just like day one with no visible wear and tear.

The only annoying thing on the KB was that the function keys share the media keys. When I play games, I use function keys and don't like to press an extra button. Once I figured out that you can toggle it by using the MX FUNC key and [esc] and toggle those, it has been awesome. I also bought it to connect with Bluetooth to save a usb port for the wireless dongle. However, Windows has been kind of lame about BT connections so I ended up using the Logitech dongle anyway. Nice to have both options in one unit.

Anyway, my mechanicals are now gathering a bit of dust. Funny to look at them each with their two giant USB cables and connectors. Not to **** in a KB thread with mouse talk but the MX Anywhere mouse with the inertial scroll feature is wizardry. Inertial scroll is one of the best new things on a peripheral in ages. So cool to be able to magically switch between step scrolling and freewheeling turbo scroll with just a tad of a push. Makes mincemeat out of threads on TW.

ArakAtak
VeteranXX
Old
27 - 08-20-2021, 06:02
The most annoying thing about MX keys is the f keys being shifted slightly to a normal layout. I always hit F1 instead of F2

Brasstax
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
28 - 08-20-2021, 06:05
It's true. They could have just made those keys the same size as everything else. Just make the esc key double wide

Plasmatic
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
29 - 08-20-2021, 12:13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasstax View Post
I went from mechanical keyboards to Logi MX key late last year. In general, I have come to love using it. It's quiet. Not silent as they say but a pleasant sound especially when you bang the space bar with a thumb. I thought the low profile keys would be an issue but I find that it made my typing more efficient. I thought it would be weird. But, nope.
I used a wireless clicklet board for a long time, wrote a bunch of code with that little guy. Went through two of them, ISO iirc. Even had a little joystick nubbin to move the mouse cursor around with. Wasn't bad until I tried using an ANSI board at work.

Now we're using these abominations, and IT procedure is to toss the old keyboards during install... The new boards are clicklet, and just a little smaller than standard ANSI. I kept a bunch of the old boards.

Logitechs ****ty software was one of the things that pushed me over the edge. Ghub is a steaming pile of garbage.
Another was the slightly changed layout in the bottom row.

Fool
Whiny BitchX
Contributor
Old
30 - 08-20-2021, 19:11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YhqAfCEh2E

Data
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
31 - 08-20-2021, 20:47
Quote:
ISO iirc.

Gross.

Edofnor
VeteranXX
Old
32 - 08-20-2021, 21:08
Quote:
bro
don't taze me

Edofnor
VeteranXX
Old
33 - 08-20-2021, 21:10
btw looks like we got a boomber or 2 trying 2 pimp some ****fag newtime logitech TERRORIST CRAP keyboards w/ fking commie key layouts

go to hell, mother****ers

GO TO HELL

Plasmatic
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
34 - 08-20-2021, 23:44
Yeah, logitech can go right to hell.

Plasmatic
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
35 - 08-23-2021, 19:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcfTW7g3S5s

Data
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
36 - 08-24-2021, 21:19
MX silent is good.

But Aliaz is better.

And Zilent is just...

Plasmatic
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
37 - 08-24-2021, 22:46
What switches and mods are you running in your daily driver Dataz

Data
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
38 - 08-25-2021, 10:52
Running Halo Clears, no mods atm. I considered swapping in some 67g Aliaz when I got this board but the Halo are "good enough" so I've just stuck with them.

Merranza
VeteranXX
Old
39 - 08-25-2021, 11:23
Drop alt (black case)
Gateron clears
GMK laser keycaps (rotating with Red and Blue samurai and should receive soon Pulse and Mitolet soon... 3 other sets in my aim: GMK Mizu, GMK Carbon and GMK Botanical (but I hate myself because I just missed R2... I'll try to be lucky with extras if not R3).

Also just pledged on Epomaker NT68 to go wireless for the living room. Seems promising.

Merranza
VeteranXX
Old
40 - 08-25-2021, 11:26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data View Post
Running Halo Clears, no mods atm. I considered swapping in some 67g Aliaz when I got this board but the Halo are "good enough" so I've just stuck with them.
Got mine with Halo Trues. I like 'em but they get heavy over time and I really prefer light switches.

Page 2 of 5

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Do you even keyboard

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
keyboard , kill niggers , nigger holocaust