Anybody here ever deal with someone going through a hemorrhagic stroke?

Danno

Veteran XX
I've read at the earliest it can take 3-6 months to recover. Sometimes even 2 years.

If your loved one recovered, how long was it until you saw them regain their basic comprehension abilities?

Any personal stories would be helpful.

*edit*

Sorry I forgot to mention why I am asking this. My dad a little over two weeks ago was airlifted because he was having a hemorrhagic stroke. He was on his deathbed two weeks ago, now he is in rehab. He can walk (kind of) but he doesn't understand any instructions. His speech is half garbled and I think he thinks he still works but I am not sure. (He has been retired for some time) However he can play his harmonica still. ???

I'm praying he can recover further but almost being somewhat realistic that he may never. The bleed on his brain never hit the other side of his brain.

I have a small family and this is my first brush with a loved one going through some shit. I'm sorry to anybody who has to go through this.

Last edited:
impossible to know without looking at the CT/MRI and evaluating the patient
blood in the brain is generally not good and many times there is not much functional recovery

~~godbless~~

my mom had a CVA - maybe infarct but maybe hemorrhagic i'd have to look through the paperwork. it was very deep in the cerebral artery and the EMTs called that night (I was at work) thought her non-responsiveness was due to fentanyl patch use and didn't assess her.

we called the EMTs the following morning and yes there's not much in the way of recovery but if your dad is still playing the harmonica he clearly retained some degree of motor and cortical (cerebral) function.

it's been around a 1.25 years post CVA for my mom and we care for her at home - she was getting bedsores at the rehab, not even a fucking nursing home fuck that. if I knew more about neurology i'd guess she's regained some involuntary pathologic spinal nerve reflexes. not much in the way of good prognosis but she's still there mentally although aphasic and it's nice to talk to her.

your dad may be confused now but the body can be incredibly resilient and there may be some degree of psychologic/behavioral recovery he probably just dealt with a considerable injury to his brain so yes it may take a while. the best thing to do now is to remove as much as possible any risk factors he had for stroke (I'd have to look up the risk factors for hemorrhagic stroke but if I recall correctly the top ten precipitating causes can include straining on the toilet, a cup of coffee, blowing your nose etc).

the common thread among all these seem to be hypertension, diabetes (for ischemic strokes I think), and excessive drinking.

I had a guy at work that had brain cancer when he was younger. They had to crack his skull open to get to it. 20 years later he had a brain bleed - not sure what kind - and he recovered well. I guess it's common when they tinker with your melon. He had a second that fucked up his speech a little 5 years later, and the last one was disabling. He has no balance and can't work.

Sorry. I am a Nephrologist and an Intensivist - I treat intracerebral hemorrhage regularly.

Very poor outcomes, high mortality, and if they do survive they typically have severe neurological deficits.

But, as said above, imaging and initial patient presentation helps prognosticate.

Hope your Dad is the anomaly.

nephrology wow awesome... hypertensive diabetics are walking time bombs - not for strokes but end stage renal failure/CKD is skyrocketing and talk about a slippery slope. considering the relationship between the kidneys and other systems CVAs as a sequelae of this makes a lot of sense.

My dad was on blood thinners for almost over two decades cause he clots. They said that didn't help the bleed.

It was a fairly large bleed and it stayed on one side of his brain. If I looked at the cat scans correctly it was right side, middle of the brain.

He can play the harmonica, dress himself, usually go to the bathroom and can shower himself. However if you ask him to tell you which color something is... forget it. We won't be throwing him a nursing home. Luckily I live with my parents so when I get home from work I can take over for mom.

Thanks for the input.

yes it might not be good as the real docs said. sure he can walk and move but if the damage was near the language areas (not at home no A&P book) it may be a poor prognosis. colloquially you hear about parts of the brain taking over for damaged areas but i'm not sure how complete that process can be for something like language.

Types of Aphasia

Guess I’ll get a salad for lunch today.

Hope your dad recovers well and is capable of enjoying life again soon. Good luck

Sorry to hear, good luck to him (and you).

My mother died of a catastrophic brain bleed a few years ago. In her case it was likely brought on by high-dose nsaid treatment of a bout of shingles. She woke up one night acting strangely, step dad took her to ER, transferred to ICU, gone within 2 days. :(

Damn. I feel selfish when I want my situation to get better and others clearly have it or had it worse. The same day we were in the waiting when my dad got to the hospital, some woman came in sobbing and my sister hugged her and she said, "My husband just fell off a 20 foot wall and a concrete slab fell on him and now he is in critical condition." =/

I'm pretty lucky my dad seems brain seems to be trying to fight it. If he does make any improvements we won't know until a few months.

My dad was also acting strange. He kept saying "I don't know" over and over again. When he started sobbing uncontrollably that was when my mom called an ambulance.

Don't! It's tough going for you guys. We all hope things work out for the best with him.

Thanks. I hope things work out. My dad is 10 times the human being I am.

We are "dad" proofing the house to get things ready for his return. (extra hand railings, grab bars, locks etc) The rehab wants him out sooner than we were expecting so we are scrambling to get things done.

You know - no matter what - that's your dad. People always underestimate how fucking beautiful life is when everything is clicking. It doesn't last all that long. So - honor the memories of the good times as they were and figure out new ways to have fun. Maybe blow his mind a little by recording his harmonica playing or jam with him with the whole family.

You know - no matter what - that's your dad. People always underestimate how fucking beautiful life is when everything is clicking. It doesn't last all that long. So - honor the memories of the good times as they were and figure out new ways to have fun. Maybe blow his mind a little by recording his harmonica playing or jam with him with the whole family.

We have a DVD of him playing that I will be showing him when he gets home. His harmonica crew came by the rehab and jammed with him. My sister also recorded him playing too.

tell us what type of aphasia he has as soon as you can recognize his pattern once he stabilizes there is a link above, plus I suppose they may tell you during any evaluation appointment do you know when that is scheduled for?

Back