[Car Thread] Diesel?

Feeling pretty good about my hasty purchase. Unfortunately I won't get it for a few weeks. Hard to find manuals apparently and dealers with them in stock won't let them go. Probably could have found one sooner but fuck shopping.

If I get anywhere near the 45 epa hwy rating I'll be stoked but 50+ will be fucking amazing.

Why did you get a manual.

even though 'automatic manual' aka DSG is quite efficient, he will still get better MPG with manual. Additionally if he puts a hitch on it, he can tow (i've heard you can tow with DSG if you do some software updates, not sure how true that is tho)

Yep, I've been driving diesel golfs since 2001. Current one is a 4 door 2011 dsg. With a mix of city/highway I average about 45 mpg. You will get even better with a manual of course - plus if you live in a state that doesn't do emission tests on diesels (md doesn't, California obs does) you can do the DPF delete mod, which will get you an extra 5mpg or so.

The only thing that sucks about these cars is that they are expensive to maintain. Like my 40k maintenance was about $700. I'm coming up on 60k and that will be about $300. 50k was basically just an oil change so that was around $100. If you can do the maintenance yourself, you can save a bit of cash. Also manuals will be less expensive since you don't have to deal with dsg maintenance (which was half the cost of the 40k)

The other thing, there has been some debate if there is an issue with the high pressure fuel pump in these cars. If it goes out, it's a 10k replacement. I think vw has been covering it if it happens under 100k.

Tdiclub.com is a good resource.

They are fun cars to drive. Once you go torque, you never go back. If they ever bring the GTD to the us, I will probably upgrade to that. GTI but diesel basically.

we will never get the GTD, Amarok, Polo, Scirocco, Touran, Sharan, Alltrack, R Sportwagen...

Basically all the cars that would bring me back to the brand. Especially an R or Alltrack wagon or Sharan.

because he's not a giant pussy.

i don't know why you'd buy an automatic unless you had some knee injury, or you were planning on being in heavy traffic every day.

ive driven countless cars with manual but i dont have and never will get a personal car without automatic

the amount of comfort it brings just cant be beat

Curious: I understand manuals sell at a premium there in the US? Supply and demand says that makes perfect sense, but the fuckers here still sell auto as an 'upgrade', even though the cost differences don't work out and it's vastly the more popular option anyway.

Price gouging is alive and well, in other words...

no, automatics cost more in the states

that being said, DSG isn't really automatic

its dual shift gearbox...so its like an automated manual basically

not auto transmission

Curious: I understand manuals sell at a premium there in the US? Supply and demand says that makes perfect sense, but the fuckers here still sell auto as an 'upgrade', even though the cost differences don't work out and it's vastly the more popular option anyway.

Price gouging is alive and well, in other words...

Yea manuals aren't produced in any significant volume for the US market. When I purchased my last 2 trucks the dealer had to go 1-200 miles away out of state to find manual transmission vehicles at a basic trim level from another dealership, and its not like I was asking for a really specific color or feature. Most of the manuals I hear on the road happen to be pretty old vehicles.

we will never get the GTD, Amarok, Polo, Scirocco, Touran, Sharan, Alltrack, R Sportwagen...

Basically all the cars that would bring me back to the brand. Especially an R or Alltrack wagon or Sharan.

You could upgrade a TDI to a GTD with a little work... Springs, struts, sway bars, stage 1 tune

Feeling pretty good about my hasty purchase. Unfortunately I won't get it for a few weeks. Hard to find manuals apparently and dealers with them in stock won't let them go. Probably could have found one sooner but fuck shopping.

If I get anywhere near the 45 epa hwy rating I'll be stoked but 50+ will be fucking amazing.

I have a 2012 Golf TDI DSG. On trips from Portland to Augusta I get 45mpg pretty reliably. I've seen 52mpg on one trip from Nashua back to Portland.

edit: Most of my driving around the Portland area is from 32 to 38 mpg, though.

Last edited:
I got a manual because I wanted to. Better mileage, easier to maintain, can put a better clutch and flywheel in there and a rad exhaust bRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAApppPPP. Mainly better mileage plus I think they're more fun to drive. Killer windy roads around here. More fun to drive. Better mileage. Have I said better mileage? My fucking commute is long but no traffic except in the afternoon for about 10 minutes. I still have my Impreza until the TDI comes in and I just filled the fucking tank again. Sucks.

I got a manual because I wanted to. Better mileage, easier to maintain, can put a better clutch and flywheel in there and a rad exhaust bRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAApppPPP. Mainly better mileage plus I think they're more fun to drive. Killer windy roads around here. More fun to drive. Better mileage. Have I said better mileage? My fucking commute is long but no traffic except in the afternoon for about 10 minutes. I still have my Impreza until the TDI comes in and I just filled the fucking tank again. Sucks.

Modern autos with their lock-up torque converters now dual-clutch systems, along with stupid numbers of gears (8 speed isn't uncommon now) and the electronics to know exactly when to switch between them.. autos are now getting better efficiency and better performance than their manual counterparts.

There are very few genuine reasons for opting for a manual transmission these days. Liking the absolute control (because 'manual selection' on an auto isn't entirely perfect, granted) is one. Enjoying being able to go 'braaap' and make your car lurch around is another.

I don't believe there is any automatic transmission in existence that can have more efficiency than a manual. The only possibility is slightly more optimised shifting that prevents higher revving - but on a straight cruise - no way

yea mc gerbil please post vehicles that get better mpg w/auto

I'll wait.

(jk no I won't)

I blah blah blah ...

Torque ftw
Tractor+Landscape+Mono.jpg

goddamn you talk too much.

I don't believe there is any automatic transmission in existence that can have more efficiency than a manual. The only possibility is slightly more optimised shifting that prevents higher revving - but on a straight cruise - no way

maybe 15 years ago I would agree with you, and in some limited cases today, but no, automatics have come a long way, and are a lot lighter

if you drive a light ass vehicle and only give it power to get up hills and to cruise ect you can feather it to be super efficient, but most people cant/wont drive like that.

I drive a manual, with a couple exception I always have, and probably always will, I think the key benefit is the feedback you get and sense of involvement that keeps you aware and in greater control

you should do the bio diesel so you'll smell like a deep fryer instead of a trucker.
And as a side kick you'll drive up the price of one of the world's major foodstuffs. Yea definite win, that is if you're into starting food riots and sending a good chunk of this planets children to bed hungry.

"eco friendly" :roller:

lefty fag got talk too much

Last edited:
Back