Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [Car Thread] Diesel?
Page 1 of 6
lemon
Sour++
Contributor
Old
1 - 09-01-2014, 01:26
Has anyone looked at diesel cars recently? I'm looking for a hatchback commuter with killer gas mileage. The Volkswagon website ****ing sucks by the way. My current vehicle gets like 27 but my new commute is 100 miles (95% highway) round-trip.

Sponsored Links
amRam
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
2 - 09-01-2014, 01:44
Diesel good. Yes. You buy

Esteban_Villa
VeteranXV
Old
3 - 09-01-2014, 02:10
NGFM I request you to come into this thread and give Lemon some recommendations for what he should play over the radio (podcasts) and so that I may glean some selections. Many thanks.

Ire
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
4 - 09-01-2014, 03:08
My Golf TDI gets 41~ on longer trips (200+ mi). For shorter driving it's around 36.

No other issues with it.. just rounding 20k on it.

It doesn't have as much zip as the GTI I had (26mpg on premium gas) but it's just as nice of a car.

narmF
VeteranX
Old
5 - 09-01-2014, 03:51
just keep in mind how much more diesel costs than regular before you get too excited about mpg of diesel.

Osiris
VeteranXV
Old
6 - 09-01-2014, 03:59
when they first found out diesel cars release less co2 than petrol cars then lowered the taxing on them to get more people to buy it.
when it turned out everyone started buying it they upped the tax again to make more money.

tx gubament

Gorlax
VeteranXX
Old
7 - 09-01-2014, 04:48
In here in France over 70% of the cars are diesel, both our cars run on it and I am yet to have an any issues with it...

Veniggs
VeteranXV
Old
8 - 09-01-2014, 04:51
go the store, then go back home, then go to the store, then go back home, then go to the store, then go back home, then go to the store and go back home one more time

P Masta Flex
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
9 - 09-01-2014, 06:02
Ferdinand Diesel designed his engine to run on peanut oil, so farmers could grow fuel for their tractors

he ended up floating face down in the river and the petroleum industry introduced a substitute which they named "diesel fuel"

Osiris
VeteranXV
Old
10 - 09-01-2014, 06:32
u mean rudolf diesel bro, think ur confusing him with ferdinand porsche

ArakAtak
VeteranXX
Old
11 - 09-01-2014, 07:26
I have a Renault diesel - it gets about 1100 Km per 60l tank. I think you would get 1200 easy on a road trip.

Goes a little over 4l /100km on the freeway - that's around 50 mpg for u yanks

****ing sweet really and I love the little man with a hammer who bangs away at the traffic lights

I also had a big 4x4 with a big ass grunty diesel - diesels are pretty macho all round really

Last edited by ArakAtak; 09-01-2014 at 07:28..
Gorlax
VeteranXX
Old
12 - 09-01-2014, 07:53
I also own a Renault diesel, wanna be friend???

Pushed mine to 1 254KM before filling up

Got Haggis?
VeteranXX
Old
13 - 09-01-2014, 08:11
Yep, I've been driving diesel golfs since 2001. Current one is a 4 door 2011 dsg. With a mix of city/highway I average about 45 mpg. You will get even better with a manual of course - plus if you live in a state that doesn't do emission tests on diesels (md doesn't, California obs does) you can do the DPF delete mod, which will get you an extra 5mpg or so.

The only thing that sucks about these cars is that they are expensive to maintain. Like my 40k maintenance was about $700. I'm coming up on 60k and that will be about $300. 50k was basically just an oil change so that was around $100. If you can do the maintenance yourself, you can save a bit of cash. Also manuals will be less expensive since you don't have to deal with dsg maintenance (which was half the cost of the 40k)

The other thing, there has been some debate if there is an issue with the high pressure fuel pump in these cars. If it goes out, it's a 10k replacement. I think vw has been covering it if it happens under 100k.

Tdiclub.com is a good resource.

They are fun cars to drive. Once you go torque, you never go back. If they ever bring the GTD to the us, I will probably upgrade to that. GTI but diesel basically.

Last edited by Got Haggis?; 09-01-2014 at 08:13..
Mitchdubai
Pooptruck++
Old
14 - 09-01-2014, 10:08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlax View Post
I also own a Renault diesel, wanna be friend???

Pushed mine to 1 254KM before filling up
Living the ****ing dream, Baby.

MaxxCarnage
VeteranXX
Old
15 - 09-01-2014, 11:23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Haggis? View Post
Yep, I've been driving diesel golfs since 2001. Current one is a 4 door 2011 dsg. With a mix of city/highway I average about 45 mpg. You will get even better with a manual of course - plus if you live in a state that doesn't do emission tests on diesels (md doesn't, California obs does) you can do the DPF delete mod, which will get you an extra 5mpg or so.

The only thing that sucks about these cars is that they are expensive to maintain. Like my 40k maintenance was about $700. I'm coming up on 60k and that will be about $300. 50k was basically just an oil change so that was around $100. If you can do the maintenance yourself, you can save a bit of cash. Also manuals will be less expensive since you don't have to deal with dsg maintenance (which was half the cost of the 40k)

The other thing, there has been some debate if there is an issue with the high pressure fuel pump in these cars. If it goes out, it's a 10k replacement. I think vw has been covering it if it happens under 100k.

Tdiclub.com is a good resource.

They are fun cars to drive. Once you go torque, you never go back. If they ever bring the GTD to the us, I will probably upgrade to that. GTI but diesel basically.
This.

HumDumpin
ReeeingRainbowXV
Old
16 - 09-01-2014, 11:27
yea go get a vw and two dozen spare ignition coils.

Gorlax
VeteranXX
Old
17 - 09-01-2014, 11:37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchdubai View Post
Living the ****ing dream, Baby.
Now that I have a kid I needed something bigger than my Golf for road trips. It's comfortable, cheap and get us safely from point A to B ...

Got Haggis?
VeteranXX
Old
18 - 09-01-2014, 12:00
Quote:
Originally Posted by DealyRrunk View Post
yea go get a vw and two dozen spare ignition coils.
except diesels don't use ignition coils. its all about the glowplugs.

HumDumpin
ReeeingRainbowXV
Old
19 - 09-01-2014, 12:19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Haggis? View Post
except diesels don't use ignition coils. its all about the glowplugs.
Ya I ****ed up I'm thinkin about jeeps and coils, but you've hit the issue with the glowplugs. The jetta diesels sure do go through a lot of glowplugs for a car thats supposed to be practical.

cogzinofa
VeteranXV
Old
20 - 09-01-2014, 12:40
Volkwagons are ****.

Page 1 of 6

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [Car Thread] Diesel?

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
lemon licked my butthole