cheap ethernet IP cams by cogzinofa - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page cheap ethernet IP cams
cogzinofa
VeteranXV
Old
1 - 08-26-2012, 18:14
Can anyone recommend cheap ethernet-based IP cams (>$50)? I need to buy a new baby monitor and I'm thinking that since I just pulled ethernet to every room in the house ethernet based IP cameras may be the way to go.

Sponsored Links
ICMeltdown
VeteranX
Old
2 - 08-26-2012, 18:24
Cheap Webcam, Wireless Camera, Web Cameras, Computer Cameras, USB Web Cam - Geeks.com

NoGodForMe
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
3 - 08-26-2012, 18:35
Search Amazon for the term "Panasonic Security Camera"

The lowest priced model is this.
Amazon.com: Panasonic BL-C101A Fixed MPEG-4 Network Camera (White): Camera & Photo

I have one in my window looking at the driveway, and a wireless version above my stairs looking at the front door. You need to power them. They do have POE models, but they cost more. One wire runs up the window where no one can see it. For the one over the stairs, I spliced into the smoke detector line in the attic. The higher priced models have a better sensor and optional audio depending on the model. The starter model will do fine if watching a baby crib indoors.

Last edited by NoGodForMe; 08-26-2012 at 18:43..
cogzinofa
VeteranXV
Old
4 - 08-26-2012, 19:19
I mostly just want sound.

seems like just about everything with "Baby" in the title is $100 overpriced.

anomaly
VeteranXV
Old
6 - 08-26-2012, 20:02
i came into this thread to say "ngfm incoming"

but he beat me to it

Dangerdoggie
VeteranXV
Old
7 - 08-26-2012, 20:09
You might want to conceal the camera in a stuffed toy so that the "baby" you're trying to monitor doesn't catch on.

naptown
VeteranXV
Old
8 - 08-26-2012, 20:14
i came in this thread expecting a pedophile to have a lot of knowledge on ethernet cams that are easily concealable

TetraTimboman
VeteranX
Old
9 - 08-26-2012, 20:38
if you have a spare computer and webcam, then you can use something like yawcam for windows to make it stream over your network, and with some additional setup - over the internet.

720p webcams like the Logitech 9000 or Microsoft 5000 see things in lower light conditions that the older vga sensors / cameras can't even pick up.

If you don't mind setting up the spare computer with linux, then you'll have more options to set up streaming audio and you can really into it as detailed here.

DVADER
VeteranXX
Old
10 - 08-26-2012, 20:39
We have a Foscam FI8608W in the kids' playroom downstairs. Maybe a little more than you'd need for a baby. We liked it for the two-way audio.

$133 on amazon.

cogzinofa
VeteranXV
Old
11 - 08-26-2012, 20:57
yeah I was looking at things like the foscam. we actually have a baby monitor, but we're also having a new baby so we're going to need a secondary device.

I have one of these from the first baby: Philips Avent DECT Baby Monitor w/ 2 Parent Units SCD590/54DAKmart

it's great, except the recharging bases are just really really stupid and they always charge the batteries even when full, so the rechargeables just don't last.

I was hoping to find something that would just plug in to the network, and then try to work out something for the parent unit

I was looking at the 3-packs of the foxcam.
Amazon.com: 3 PACK Foscam FI8910W Wireless/Wired Pan & Tilt IP/Network Camera with IR-Cut Filter for True Color Images - 8 Meter Night Vision and 3.6mm Lens (67° Viewing Angle) - Black NEWEST MODEL: Camera & Photo

one for each kid's room and then one to play with. the thing that makes me a little hesitant about it is that they are a little overkill for what I need and a real parent unit just doesn't exist.

this seems intersting: Amazon.com: Uniden UDW10003 Wireless Video Surveillance Portable Security System: Camera & Photo

but it doesn't look like it's a standalone IP cam.

cogzinofa
VeteranXV
Old
12 - 08-26-2012, 21:06
Quote:
Originally Posted by TetraTimboman View Post
if you have a spare computer and webcam, then you can use something like yawcam for windows to make it stream over your network, and with some additional setup - over the internet.

720p webcams like the Logitech 9000 or Microsoft 5000 see things in lower light conditions that the older vga sensors / cameras can't even pick up.

If you don't mind setting up the spare computer with linux, then you'll have more options to set up streaming audio and you can really into it as detailed here.
now that's interesting. are most USB web cams USB 1.1 or 2.0? I'm using one of these right now to control the computer in my office from the living room: For only $9.30 each when QTY 50+ purchased - USB Extender over CAT5E or CAT6 Connection up to 150ft | USB 1.1 Extenders

if I got a few of those I could hang cheap USB cams off them

TetraTimboman
VeteranX
Old
13 - 08-26-2012, 21:40
As far as I'm aware, the regular webcams don't have any hardware / capability to compress the video like the dedicated network cameras do, so it's uncompressed video between the camera and your computer so only USB 2.0. would really work. Once it hits your computer though, you can use yawcam or zoneminder or other programs to compress it to a more manageable 512kbps or something for streaming over the network.

Last edited by TetraTimboman; 08-26-2012 at 21:50..
MiikeB
Veteran++
Old
14 - 08-26-2012, 21:49
Monoprice has some good cheap ones but you would need to run audio separate.

DVADER
VeteranXX
Old
15 - 08-27-2012, 07:33
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogzinofa View Post
yeah I was looking at things like the foscam. we actually have a baby monitor, but we're also having a new baby so we're going to need a secondary device.

I have one of these from the first baby: Philips Avent DECT Baby Monitor w/ 2 Parent Units SCD590/54DAKmart

it's great, except the recharging bases are just really really stupid and they always charge the batteries even when full, so the rechargeables just don't last.

I was hoping to find something that would just plug in to the network, and then try to work out something for the parent unit

I was looking at the 3-packs of the foxcam.
Amazon.com: 3 PACK Foscam FI8910W Wireless/Wired Pan & Tilt IP/Network Camera with IR-Cut Filter for True Color Images - 8 Meter Night Vision and 3.6mm Lens (67° Viewing Angle) - Black NEWEST MODEL: Camera & Photo

one for each kid's room and then one to play with. the thing that makes me a little hesitant about it is that they are a little overkill for what I need and a real parent unit just doesn't exist.

this seems intersting: Amazon.com: Uniden UDW10003 Wireless Video Surveillance Portable Security System: Camera & Photo

but it doesn't look like it's a standalone IP cam.
I got the 8910W first. I don't know if it was a knockoff, a bad unit, or if they just suck, but I had nothing but trouble with it. It really did not play well with win7 x64. I tried all the 'tricks' posted online to make it work, but it was just horribly unresponsive all the time. I ended up returning it and getting the 8608 which has worked flawlessly.

ICMeltdown
VeteranX
Old
16 - 08-27-2012, 07:35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiikeB View Post
Monoprice has some good cheap ones but you would need to run audio separate.
Great place to get stuff, cheap and good quality.

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page cheap ethernet IP cams

Social Website Bullshit