Fantasy/Sci-fi Book recommendations revisited by Window - Page 14 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Fantasy/Sci-fi Book recommendations revisited
Page 14 of 96
Witch
VeteranXV
Old
261 - 04-05-2011, 01:46
Want. Moar. Revelation Space Universe Books.

That or more Novels from Vernor Vinge (Children Of The Sky (October 2011 - forthcoming))

Sponsored Links
Eggi
VeteranXX
Old
262 - 04-05-2011, 01:48
Quote:
Originally Posted by funmaxx View Post
Glad to see someone else posting this series.

You somehow missed "Chasm City" which also takes place in Revelation Space. The last book "The Perfect" is in the same universe as well, I haven't read it yet...maybe next.

I also really like Richard Morgan's stuff which someone already mentioned. He's super violent and there's just something cool about how he writes.

I kinda hate to admit it but I just read "The Hunger Games" trilogy and really enjoyed it. The Katnsis, Peeta, Gale love triangle is ****ing annoying but other than that a fun read.
i didnt list those two because while they are set in the same universe, they arent on the same story arc.

I read the prefect, it was pretty good. I haven't read chasm city yet. I plan on starting it tonight

RedMeat
Veteran++
Old
263 - 04-05-2011, 02:53
Quote:
I just picked up Richard Morgan's "The Steel Remains" tonight. It's his first fantasy novel I guess. Anyone read it?
I haven't read it, still need to read Black Man (think that one is called 13 in the States?) but reviews are mixed. Apparently the main character is gay?

pZ II Birdy
VeteranXX
Old
264 - 04-05-2011, 12:53
Started Malazan series yesterday... having a hard time getting into it so far... I noticed i prefer justified magic (WoT's weaving, Mistorn's allomancy/feruchemy, Black Prism's light whatever it was) as opposed to "and then the wizard said something and 12 evil dogs with fiery eyes appeared" ... but i've only read the 1st chapter so far, and some of the characters seem interesting enough for me to really enjoy.

Bodom
VeteranXX
Old
265 - 04-05-2011, 16:42
first book was meant as a standalone then progressed so it doesnt jive as well as the others

things get revealed over the course of the series. it makes some questions clearer, some more muddled and others downright not answered. its still an amazing seiries as through mutliples reads and progression you realize how much was foreshadowed/linked that you never picked up on as it was being read

JudgeU
VeteranXV
Old
266 - 04-05-2011, 16:56
Just started this one:

Will let you guys know once I finish.

funmaxx
Veteran++
Old
267 - 04-05-2011, 21:18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMeat View Post
I haven't read it, still need to read Black Man (think that one is called 13 in the States?) but reviews are mixed. Apparently the main character is gay?
I read Black man. I like the Kovacs books better, but it's still a good read. Carl Marsalis kicks ass, he doesn't **** it...not gay, unless I totally missed something.

Alarik
VeteranXX
Old
268 - 04-05-2011, 21:23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixiterra View Post
I'm like 800 pages in to book 2. I don't know what it is about Rothfuss' style, but it is so amazingly descriptive yet so easy to read. However, book 2 has not had quite the catch that book 1 did. I'll leave it at that.
But I still good.

Anyone know if any epic steampunk novels - ala last exile etc

RedMeat
Veteran++
Old
269 - 04-06-2011, 03:13
Quote:
I read Black man. I like the Kovacs books better, but it's still a good read. Carl Marsalis kicks ass, he doesn't **** it...not gay, unless I totally missed something.
I meant the main character from the Steel Remains is gay.

Which was your favourite of the Kovacs books and where would you rate Black Man compared to those, so I know whether to bump it up my list.

coombz
VeteranXX
Old
270 - 04-06-2011, 04:04
Quote:
I meant the main character from the Steel Remains is gay.

Which was your favourite of the Kovacs books and where would you rate Black Man compared to those, so I know whether to bump it up my list.
Altered Carbon was my fave, followed by Woken Furies (3rd one) and then the middle one Broken Angels or whatever it's called

I'd rate Black Man somewhere around the same level as Woken Furies, maybe very slightly lower. definitely worth a read i think

i'm back to Iain Banks and the Culture atm, on Surface Detail

seems like it's going to be disappointingly short...i guess Wise Man's Fear spoiled me a bit

RedMeat
Veteran++
Old
271 - 04-06-2011, 04:46
Ok cool, your opinion matches mine of the Kovacs books so I'll bump Black Man up my list.

There appears to be a bit of mixed feeling about Surface Detail.

Personally I think it is one of the best Culture novels to date, if you can get past the bits that tend to drag a little. Twist of the year too.

Wouldn't say it was particularly short, but there is one subplot/character that could quite easily have been entirely omitted. Oh, and one of the ROUs in this book (name escapes me) is quite possibly the best character Banks has written yet.

coombz
VeteranXX
Old
272 - 04-06-2011, 07:34
i'm something like 70% through and it hasn't seemed to drag at all for me, i feel like it might actually be the least waffle-y Culture book i've read so far

the others i've read are Consider Phlebas, Player of Games and Use of Weapons

any other good Culture ones i should get to after i finish Surface Detail?

RedMeat
Veteran++
Old
273 - 04-06-2011, 07:45
Quote:
Originally Posted by coombz View Post
i'm something like 70% through and it hasn't seemed to drag at all for me, i feel like it might actually be the least waffle-y Culture book i've read so far

the others i've read are Consider Phlebas, Player of Games and Use of Weapons

any other good Culture ones i should get to after i finish Surface Detail?
Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed the book, especially after Matter which was a bit of a let down till the last third or so. It was just that I felt some of the Hell sections were unnecessarily long, especially the convent bit

You've read my top three already. Excession and Look To Windward should be on your list. Excession was especially awesome. Also, as you've read Use of Weapons you're in for a treat later.

Falhawk
VeteranXX
Old
274 - 04-06-2011, 08:55
I've really gotten into the culture books

though Banks gets all too long winded at times and really includes information that makes no sense.

I've read Consider Phlebas, Player of Games, Surface Detail, The Algebraist (not a culture novel but still good), and I'm now on Matter.

RedMeat
Veteran++
Old
275 - 04-06-2011, 08:56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falhawk View Post
I've really gotten into the culture books

though Banks gets all too long winded at times and really includes information that makes no sense.

I've read Consider Phlebas, Player of Games, Surface Detail, The Algebraist (not a culture novel but still good), and I'm now on Matter.
Matter isn't a bad book, but it's the worst of the lot imo.

Falhawk
VeteranXX
Old
276 - 04-06-2011, 09:03
Quote:
Matter isn't a bad book, but it's the worst of the lot imo.
I thought Surface Detail was way abstract with all the different types of war things. Also I'm totally puzzled and I've been meaning to go back to it but...

Spoiler

RedMeat
Veteran++
Old
277 - 04-06-2011, 09:07
My memory is a little hazy but...

Spoiler

Falhawk
VeteranXX
Old
278 - 04-06-2011, 09:10
Quote:
My memory is a little hazy but...

Spoiler
see I thought it was her too but I can't figure out why

Spoiler

RedMeat
Veteran++
Old
279 - 04-06-2011, 09:15
Again, it has been a while since I read it but...

Spoiler

Last edited by RedMeat; 04-06-2011 at 09:20..
coombz
VeteranXX
Old
280 - 04-06-2011, 09:17
yeah it was Yime

Spoiler

Page 14 of 96

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Fantasy/Sci-fi Book recommendations revisited

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
alex dare levert , alex knapik-levert