Fantasy/Sci-fi Book recommendations revisited

Halfway through Gardens of the Moon. First book in Malazan series. Really impressed so far. Very Glen Cook-like, but more human.

Read all the Dresden Files... good shit!
so much in fact that I am now reading his other series Codex Alera... also very good

I'd say codex is a more enjoyable read than the DF. Not to say that they are bad, by any means. its just that it's hard to compete with the epicness of the codex.

You can sort of tell that swords and sorcery is Butcher's first love.

I've finished (as it were) the song of ice and fire. I kind of expected a bit more... I'm note sure. Something. I was a bit underwhelmed I'm sorry to say. I'll try the mistborn series next, unless otherwise directed.

My only complaint with Codex Alera books was that he gave too much page time to Tavi's mother and some of her sub plots didn't go anywhere. Most of the books split their evenly time over 3 intersecting plotlines. Tavi's story, Tavi's uncle, and tavi's mother. Some of mom's plotlines had me irritated and wondering when they were going to get back to the protagonist's life & death struggle vs impossible odds.

On book three of Wheel of Time so far, I am liking them though they tend to drag a bit especially at the beginning of each book.

Glad to see someone else posting this series.

You somehow missed "Chasm City" which also takes place in Revelation Space. The last book "The Perfect" is in the same universe as well, I haven't read it yet...maybe next.

I also really like Richard Morgan's stuff which someone already mentioned. He's super violent and there's just something cool about how he writes.

I kinda hate to admit it but I just read "The Hunger Games" trilogy and really enjoyed it. The Katnsis, Peeta, Gale love triangle is fucking annoying but other than that a fun read.

I also really like Richard Morgan's stuff which someone already mentioned. He's super violent and there's just something cool about how he writes

Kovacs is a bad ass. Alot of people disagree but I liked Altered Carbon over the other two, really had that noir feeling going on.

Jim Butcher said:
And after he taught me HALO? I taught him Tribes.

I just read this in a guest blog post he did recently. Apparently butcher, in addition to being the best author out there, is also a Tribes fan.

Maybe he is here, watching us now :worried:

On book three of Wheel of Time so far, I am liking them though they tend to drag a bit especially at the beginning of each book.

i've had the first wheel of time book sitting on my shelf for quite a while now, keep getting distracted... just finished rereading name of the wind to read book 2

i've had the first wheel of time book sitting on my shelf for quite a while now, keep getting distracted... just finished rereading name of the wind to read book 2

I'm like 800 pages in to book 2. I don't know what it is about Rothfuss' style, but it is so amazingly descriptive yet so easy to read. However, book 2 has not had quite the catch that book 1 did. I'll leave it at that.

Back