Reload this Page Tribes : Ascend
Page 57 of 2009
Yankee
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
1121 - 03-19-2011, 07:46
do points matter?

It's the only thing that matters to most players.

Sponsored Links
Got Haggis?
VeteranXX
Old
1122 - 03-19-2011, 08:01
Doesn't have to be weapon unlocks, could be concept art, new skins, etc. Need some sort of mechanic to keep newbies to the series coming back. Like it or not, unlocks do that these days. Maybe some sort of ranking system for each weapon - things like get 5 MA's, rank the spinfuser up a level. Has no affect on the game, but you could look at a players profile and see how good they are with a specific weapon..or armor type, or how good they are at repairing. That sort of thing.

That recut trailer is awesome.

Vir
VeteranXV
Old
1123 - 03-19-2011, 08:23
could care less if unlocks are in the game or not but if you want to inspire new players make something that is actually fun to play.

Hellsfury
VeteranXX
Old
1124 - 03-19-2011, 08:24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindflayr View Post
I Disagree.

If I tilt my laptop at just the right angle... I think I could set ants on fire with the glare of the lens flare off the heavy use of the Chrome filter.

Actually... I do hope they go for the Exo-skeletal power frame style of design akin to T:V.

I would even support the idea of making the Heavy Armor feel more distant from being merely a bigger Medium Armor... a taller guy in a suit... and more the miniaturized HERC he's supposed to be.

Mindflayr
VeteranXV
Old
1125 - 03-19-2011, 08:31
I always liked that pic. the farm is comical though, and MORE LENSFLARE is correct.

That said, I actually agree with you. If the game wont feature a Herc (Im expecting it not to) , then the Heavy needs to be Like a Med in a Power Armor Suit (think Aliens) with a shoulder mounted weapon spot or something that is "Mini Herc-like".

Hellsfury
VeteranXX
Old
1126 - 03-19-2011, 08:50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Haggis? View Post
Doesn't have to be weapon unlocks, could be concept art, new skins, etc. Need some sort of mechanic to keep newbies to the series coming back. Like it or not, unlocks do that these days. Maybe some sort of ranking system for each weapon - things like get 5 MA's, rank the spinfuser up a level. Has no affect on the game, but you could look at a players profile and see how good they are with a specific weapon..or armor type, or how good they are at repairing. That sort of thing.

That recut trailer is awesome.

One thing that I thought, having play Global Agenda, is that the customizations feature of GA could be one those beneficial influences that game might have on Ascend. Especially considering the importance of individuality in an MMO (which I assume will be the eventual goal of Ascend).

A player can look, distinctively and without confusion, as a Blood Eagle... but can make customizations. Helmet styles, unique armour shell pieces, decorations, trophies.

You can change war-harness webbing components, switch round disk launcher magazine pouches with long grenade holsters.

Add a Shoulder pauldron with Rank for a Blood Eagle, a Wolf Pelt for a Star Wolf

Earn an achievement? or a milestone? display it as a armor modification. Makes achievements more tangible and worth something (but then Achievements would have to mean something... so players don't all cherry-pick the best ones and all wear it).

Last edited by Hellsfury; 03-19-2011 at 09:00..
arcadus
VeteranXX
Old
1127 - 03-19-2011, 08:55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellsfury View Post
One thing that I thought, having play Global Agenda, is that the customizations feature of GA could be one those beneficial influences that game might have on Ascend. Especially considering the importance of individuality in an MMO (which I assume will be the eventual goal of Ascend).

A player can look, distinctively and without confusion, as a Blood Eagle... but can make customizations. Helmet styles, unique armour shell pieces, decorations, trophies.

You can change war-harness webbing components, switch round disk launcher magazine pouches with long grenade holsters.

Add a Shoulder pauldron with Rank for a Blood Eagle, a Wolf Pelt for a Star Wolf

Earn an achievement? or a milestone? display it as a armor modification. Makes achievements more tangible and worth something.
i kind of like this idea.

but weapon unlocks would be terrible.

Got Haggis?
VeteranXX
Old
1128 - 03-19-2011, 08:55
Yeah, I could see something like that working

Zengei
VeteranXX
Old
1129 - 03-19-2011, 09:24

Juggernaut 4 lyfe

Zengei
VeteranXX
Old
1130 - 03-19-2011, 09:32
Also, Hi-Rez needs to hire whoever did the announcer voice overs in T2.

Match begins... NOW!

Kerosene31
VeteranXV
Old
1131 - 03-19-2011, 09:46
Weapon unlocking is the worst thing in FPS games today. It caters to the kiddies who can play a game for 4+ hours a day and never go outside. RPG leveling is the ultimate in anti-skill. Younger gamers today only care about their rank and their k/d ratio.

You see hundreds of these kids going 30-0 in Call of Duty posting videos and they never, ever go near an objective in a game.

DocHolliday
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
1132 - 03-19-2011, 10:09
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMeithos View Post
(I'm a T1 diehard and thinking outloud if these had been implemented in T1)

Actually, I think Got Haggis has a really, really good point w/ achievements. Everybody knows that T1's learning curve was too steep for 99% of players to learn really how to play competitively. If T1 had set achievements for players, and let them know what it took like say... "Cap on Stonehenge in 7 seconds", "Destroy Raindance generators within 45 seconds of leaving an inventory station", or "Deploy 15 turrents, 2 radar sensors, 2 invo stations within the first 2 minutes of the game" to get players to ask "how the **** is that possible?" Make a system that encourages players to explore the depth of the game. Unlocks do that also. Level up only if you do certain HO, HoF, capper achievements.
Ok I can get on board with achievements like this. Unlocks though? **** no. This game is about competition and putting someone at a disadvantage when they start off in a game that absolutely punishes new people is a really bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellsfury View Post

Earn an achievement? or a milestone? display it as a armor modification. Makes achievements more tangible and worth something (but then Achievements would have to mean something... so players don't all cherry-pick the best ones and all wear it).
This is an idea I have been pushing for Tribes Universe, but I can see it working in T:A as well. Do it like Team Fortress 2 in that some of the items anyone can get. Make those items as ones you achieve from doing what DrMeithos was talking about.

However, make some of the more sought after ones cost money. Idiots out there that have that overwhelming low self-esteem need to look different can spend money in accomplishing that. It seems to be working for TF2 so why not? Might bring in some extra revenue and if it does not take off its not like it costs them a ton of money to try out and should not adversely affect their product. Low risk high reward.

Last edited by DocHolliday; 03-19-2011 at 10:19..
SINep
VeteranXX
Old
1133 - 03-19-2011, 10:50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zengei View Post
Also, Hi-Rez needs to hire whoever did the announcer voice overs in T2.

Match begins... NOW!
Yard sale.

Mangle-Me-Elmo
VeteranXX
Old
1134 - 03-19-2011, 11:02
be sweet if we could get motley crue to do the music

DocHolliday
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
1135 - 03-19-2011, 11:03
Quote:
Originally Posted by SINep View Post
Yard sale.
Haha always did like the new announcements.

Teratos
Veteran5
Old
1136 - 03-19-2011, 11:04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindflayr View Post
****ing Fantastic. HiRez should start using this immediately (with your permission of course). If you hook me up with the highest quality version of it you have, I would be happy to help distribute it to as wide an audience as possible. Probably will feature it on the homepage of my upcoming fansite as well.
Okay, now I see what you were talking about on IRC.

I didn't make that video. If you ever see anything artistic - it didn't come from me. I'm not sure who made it, but there are several guys posting some pretty cool youtube videos.

I'm okay with stats/achievements - that's the next step in my T2 Stats system, but unlocks are NOT okay in a Tribes game.

Yankee
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
1137 - 03-19-2011, 11:05
no, they need to hire homeless street dude

Teratos
Veteran5
Old
1138 - 03-19-2011, 11:05
I'm still advocating permaban of gothaggis

Aegis
VeteranX
Old
1139 - 03-19-2011, 11:40
If they do decide to do unlocks, they should do them like TF2 like somebody said earlier. The TF2 unlocks/drops have a minimal effect on gameplay in my opinion.

edit: The unlockable weapons don't really give people a distinct advantage, I think they just open up different approaches to gameplay.

DocHolliday
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
1140 - 03-19-2011, 11:41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
If they do decide to do unlocks, they should do them like TF2 like somebody said earlier. The TF2 unlocks/drops have a minimal effect on gameplay in my opinion.
Exactly and they add a little personality to the game. I love how they did it in TF2.

Page 57 of 2009

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Tribes : Ascend

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
35 psi , animal approves , ascend means more shrikes , austrians , badmofo is a big fucking deal , better graphics without t1 , bf3 blows goats , blitz is a cyberathlete , conspiracy , constraints = creativity , dare play tribe , derp , fuzzy is best tribe player , grapple , kill obibun's dad please , loadout fail , loafting , look i added some tags , moar mortar plz , obibun taint licker , odio is a fucking retard , odio is fucking a retard , phase 12 , primers , raaaaape~wdeath , targeting laser ftw , the enemy is raping our base , the tao of tribe , this game will succeed , tits:ass , tribes 4 will be fun , tribes: ass end , unreal engine fail , vab nothing left to prove , ze balls make it gay