Fantasy/Sci-fi Book recommendations revisited by Window - Page 6 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Fantasy/Sci-fi Book recommendations revisited
Page 6 of 96
Window
VeteranX
Old
101 - 01-24-2011, 21:02
Quote:
Originally Posted by DacTheHork View Post
Dresden files is young adult

Really bad, I wouldn't touch it unless you are inferior as a person.

"
black prism any better than the way of shadows by weeks? i liked the coming of age main char style but his combat sequences were retarded... "he spun his blade and 36 armored knights fell dead" i can't stand over-powered main characters and enjoy detailed fights (salvatore style)

Sponsored Links
JodoFett
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
102 - 01-24-2011, 21:08
Yeah, I think part of the appeal of the Dresden Files is that he gets the **** beat out of him constantly.

DV
VeteranXV
Old
103 - 01-24-2011, 21:08
Anathem by Neil Stephenson is pretty ****ing good, finished it the other day.

Dead Ben
VeteranXX
Old
104 - 01-24-2011, 21:26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Window View Post
black prism any better than the way of shadows by weeks? i liked the coming of age main char style but his combat sequences were retarded... "he spun his blade and 36 armored knights fell dead" i can't stand over-powered main characters and enjoy detailed fights (salvatore style)
I've got it sitting on my desk based on Dac's first recommendation of it. I didn't like the heavy handedness of good/evil in the way of the shadows books. Supposedly this one is more well written.

DacTheHork
Veteran++
Old
105 - 01-24-2011, 21:49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Ben View Post
I've got it sitting on my desk based on Dac's first recommendation of it. I didn't like the heavy handedness of good/evil in the way of the shadows books. Supposedly this one is more well written.
You have to also know that it was Brent Weeks first books. He finished all three of the way of shadows trilogy before even being published (they released 2 weeks apart).

Black Prism is his more "mature" book in terms of his skill. His style though just fits really well with me. He keeps the pace very fast, and doesn't really emphasize anything dull. I wouldn't say his first night angel trilogy was 10/10, but it was a page turner and a complete trilogy that released at once is awesome.

basically black prism starts off with the biggest tropes, "oh god this character" feeling from bad fantasy books, but as you read it it just gets more and more awesome. Don't read any summaries/reviews imo as most contain huge spoilers.

Last edited by DacTheHork; 01-24-2011 at 22:00..
Eso
VeteranX
Old
106 - 02-08-2011, 19:11
surprised no one has mentioned "Patient Zero" by Jonathan Maberry. ...or did i miss it?

Bacardi
VeteranX
Old
107 - 02-08-2011, 19:36
has anyone read peter hamilton's night's dawn trilogy? reality dysfunction / neutronium alchemist / naked god

i only recently started some of hamilton's books and liked it.. but was hesitant to dive into such a huge story

Celios
VeteranX
Old
108 - 02-08-2011, 19:37
The Lost Fleet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Really fun SF series.

Dead Ben
VeteranXX
Old
109 - 02-08-2011, 19:40
Quote:
You have to also know that it was Brent Weeks first books. He finished all three of the way of shadows trilogy before even being published (they released 2 weeks apart).

Black Prism is his more "mature" book in terms of his skill. His style though just fits really well with me. He keeps the pace very fast, and doesn't really emphasize anything dull. I wouldn't say his first night angel trilogy was 10/10, but it was a page turner and a complete trilogy that released at once is awesome.

basically black prism starts off with the biggest tropes, "oh god this character" feeling from bad fantasy books, but as you read it it just gets more and more awesome. Don't read any summaries/reviews imo as most contain huge spoilers.
Yeah the Night Angel series was a page turner, I liked it overall, but it just had a few things I didn't like. I'm an easy reviewer in the first place. If I finish the book it must have some redeeming quality.

About the only book I haven't finished because it sucked beyond recognition (within the last 10 years) is The Wanderer's Tale by David Bilsborough

Serle
VeteranXV
Old
110 - 02-08-2011, 19:55
Talion: Revenant by Michael Stackpole (if you can find it)

*edit*
Hes releasing it again chapter by chapter on his website, and just released it electronically for sale on e-readers. 10k sold and he writes the sequel. I'm stoked.

Last edited by Serle; 02-08-2011 at 19:57..
soundjester
VeteranXV
Old
111 - 02-08-2011, 20:25
Quote:

I agree with this assessment. The story stays with you, and to me, that is my measure of what is great vs what is good.

And this is head and shoulders above the shadows trilogy.

|Blitzkrieg|
VeteranXX
Old
112 - 02-08-2011, 23:34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacardi View Post
has anyone read peter hamilton's night's dawn trilogy? reality dysfunction / neutronium alchemist / naked god

i only recently started some of hamilton's books and liked it.. but was hesitant to dive into such a huge story
Yes. I read it after having read, and VERY much enjoyed his Commonwealth duology (this was before the Void trilogy was released).

Spoiler

I recommend the Commonwealth series', and his 1-off Fallen Dragon.

Pipeofdeath
VeteranX
Old
113 - 02-09-2011, 01:59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacardi View Post

reading neutronium alchemist now, i thought reality dysfunction was really good. i thought void trilogy + commonwealth saga were amazing, better than nights dawn so far.

n/x
Veteran++
Old
114 - 02-09-2011, 02:56

RedMeat
Veteran++
Old
115 - 02-09-2011, 03:43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeofdeath View Post
reading neutronium alchemist now, i thought reality dysfunction was really good. i thought void trilogy + commonwealth saga were amazing, better than nights dawn so far.
I preferred the Commonwealth Saga too, that's not to say Night's Dawn isn't very good too though.

Sp!nfusor Salad
VeteranX
Old
116 - 02-09-2011, 05:13
Quote:
Looking to start a new fantasy (sword & spell type) or sci-fi novel/series. I've read and loved a lot of previous recommendations from TW:

A song of ice & fire series (wtf is the next book?)
name of the wind
ender's game
Best Served Cold
Dune
Most everything by R.A. Salvatore

What else out there is worth a read? It's hard to pick from the 100's of random authors.
enders game was really an immature wreck

i hated it

Sp!nfusor Salad
VeteranX
Old
117 - 02-09-2011, 05:14
Quote:
Looking to start a new fantasy (sword & spell type) or sci-fi novel/series. I've read and loved a lot of previous recommendations from TW:

A song of ice & fire series (wtf is the next book?)
name of the wind
ender's game
Best Served Cold
Dune
Most everything by R.A. Salvatore

What else out there is worth a read? It's hard to pick from the 100's of random authors.

i hated it

however **** yea to dune

also i liked the Foundation series by Asimov and King's Dark Tower, The Stand, and IT.

Ascoe
VeteranXV
Old
118 - 02-09-2011, 05:16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp!nfusor Salad View Post

i hated it
you missed the thread entirely devoted to hating on popular books.
http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=627526

Window, you interested stephen king at all ? the first darktower novel is decent.

Sp!nfusor Salad
VeteranX
Old
119 - 02-09-2011, 05:20
Fatherland was also fantastic

pick that ****er up and see how ****ed the world is under JFK's Nazi dad being in bed with Hitler.

Sp!nfusor Salad
VeteranX
Old
120 - 02-09-2011, 05:23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascoe View Post
you missed the thread entirely devoted to hating on popular books.
Name a book that everyone said was good, but when you read it you hated it by Ascoe - TribalWar Forums

Window, you interested Stephen king at all ? the first darktower novel is decent.
You support the Gunslinger as best?

very interesting position... im kinda with you on it because it is sort of creepy and hard to focus clearly... a good but hard book most say was his WORST of the series.

"The dark man fled into the desert and the Gunslinger followed"

great **** there.

Page 6 of 96

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Fantasy/Sci-fi Book recommendations revisited

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
alex dare levert , alex knapik-levert