Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Fixing the roads, changing America
Page 1 of 18
Goshin
GriftKingXX
Old
1 - 01-19-2011, 10:47
I think i posted about this thing 18 months ago, but i can't remember.

The gist:
Solar road ways made of super glass that not only collect solar power, but once connected through a city, or the nation, provide power through the glass sections under the surface, thus revamping our entire power grid network.

18 months ago the dude was looking for funding, and still getting reserach accomplished. He's hoping to put in a prototype this year at his facility.

Some quotes

Quote:
How much would the solar highway cost? Brusaw calculates an estimated cost -- in great detail -- on his website. Short answer: each mile would cost $4.4 million. Payoff? A cleaner, self-sustaining highway that would eventually pay for itself in energy production and in other ways, he said.

-- How can glass provide enough traction while supporting the weight, wear and tear of a conventional concrete or asphalt highway? Glass, especially when fused together in layers, is stronger than most people think, said Brusaw. He said he's joined forces with top glass researchers at University of Dayton and Penn State who can develop super-strong glass that would offer vehicles the traction they need.

-- Can the solar highway's surface collect enough sunlight when it's filled with bumper-to-bumper traffic? Yes, he says. Even when roadways are filled with bumper-to-bumper traffic, solar collection would be at 50 percent, he estimates.

As for Brusaw, he hopes to win more private and federal support by demonstrating a new prototype smart-road parking lot to be finished in the spring.

His goal would be to partner with a high-profile national chain like McDonald's or Walmart to turn their conventional parking lots into solar-powered, interactive, temperature-controlled spaces where electric-vehicle owners can recharge their cars while they shop or drive across the country.

"The Federal Highway Administration told us they're not going to let us go out on the highway to start this," said Brusaw. "They told us to go into the parking lot first, prove your technology, perfect it and learn your lessons there -- which makes sense."

Electricity generated by the highway could be used to recharge electric vehicles and to power lights and LED warning signs along the road itself.

In fact, Brusaw believes that solar roadways -- if widely accepted -- could eventually generate clean electricity around the world, eliminating the need for fossil fuels and saving the planet from global climate change.

i'm a freaking visionary

click for more infos

Last edited by Goshin; 01-19-2011 at 18:50..
Sponsored Links
Falhawk
VeteranXX
Old
2 - 01-19-2011, 10:49
probably would be fun to drive on in the snow.

absent
VeteranXX
Old
3 - 01-19-2011, 10:50
Poor Goshin thinks America will improve.

Mitchdubai
Pooptruck++
Old
4 - 01-19-2011, 10:52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
I think i posted about this thing 18 months ago, but i can't remember.
You'll no doubt be pleased to hear that after 18 months it's still a ****ing stupid idea. That's the sort of ridiculous **** Dubai would have pulled two years ago when they were working on having the beach at the Pallazzo Versace apartments covered with air-conditioned sand.

Kerosene31
VeteranXV
Old
5 - 01-19-2011, 10:53
$4.4 million per mile? Yeah it isn't like that is prohibitively expensive or anything in the least.

Anguish
VeteranXX
Old
6 - 01-19-2011, 10:58
Sounds very practical. 4.4 mil.

-=ROOSTER=-
VeteranX
Old
7 - 01-19-2011, 11:09
goshinwar

telos
VeteranXV
Old
8 - 01-19-2011, 11:17
4.4 million doesn't tell us ****.
Quote:
+ SR 18 widening in rural King County - about $24.5 million per mile.
+ US 12 widening south of Tri Cities - about $3.7 million per mile.
+ I-5 widening in Vancouver ***8211; about $20.2 million per mile.
+ I-90 truck climbing lanes east of Cle Elum and at Vantage ***8211; about $1 million per mile.
+ I-5 HOV lanes from Tukwila to Fife ***8211; about $7 million per mile
How much does it cost to build a road one mile?

Where does it cost 4.4 million? How many lanes?

{FSC}Godfather
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
9 - 01-19-2011, 11:18
if it heated itself and melted ice it would be freaking awesome

Rev. Zen
VeteranXV
Old
10 - 01-19-2011, 11:20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep4L18zOEYI

comatoast
VeteranXV
Old
11 - 01-19-2011, 11:22
I'm sure oils/fluids from vehicles, road grit, tire skids, etc. won't render this ineffective at all.

TooSmoothe
VeteranXX
Old
12 - 01-19-2011, 11:26
I don't feel like reading in to it but could you answer some questions for me:

- Say someone breaks an axle or something and ends trashing a good 150ft section. How much road would have to be replaced?

- I live in MN, we need roads to be plowed a lot. Would we have to design a whole new fleet of plows that don't damage this road?

- How would they stop light reflection?

Goshin
GriftKingXX
Old
13 - 01-19-2011, 11:27
private industry
if he uses walmart/shopping center parking lots to prove the tech and maybe make it cheaper (manufacturing law, build more = everything cheaper) then who knows

probably 4.4mil for a 1 lane road, since they build it in 12x12 sections

150 feet of road, about 13 sections need to be replaced, which can be rolled off a line and plopped down in the damaged area

road heats itself, melts snow and ice. dont need plows

unsure on light reflection

Fling
VeteranXX
Old
14 - 01-19-2011, 11:29
seems like keeping it clean might be a problem.

Fox k
Veteran++
Old
15 - 01-19-2011, 11:37
I just don't see this happening.

{FSC}Godfather
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
16 - 01-19-2011, 11:38
isnt this really the type of crazy thinking that we need to start embracing though?

It would be better then doing what we are doing now with roads, especially in the north where you pretty much have to replace roads every other year it seems.

Stealth
VeteranXV
Old
17 - 01-19-2011, 11:47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fling View Post
seems like keeping it clean might be a problem.
Solar panels have to be constantly cleaned in order to maintain efficiency. I live in the northeast and the roads are incredibly dirty and scummy. I don't think this would be a good match for solar technology.

Kerosene31
VeteranXV
Old
18 - 01-19-2011, 11:48
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSmoothe View Post
I don't feel like reading in to it but could you answer some questions for me:

- Say someone breaks an axle or something and ends trashing a good 150ft section. How much road would have to be replaced?

- I live in MN, we need roads to be plowed a lot. Would we have to design a whole new fleet of plows that don't damage this road?

- How would they stop light reflection?
Yeah the idea of a road that needs little or no maintenance is silly at least for many areas.

Fling
VeteranXX
Old
19 - 01-19-2011, 11:50
Quote:
Originally Posted by {FSC}Godfather View Post
isnt this really the type of crazy thinking that we need to start embracing though?

It would be better then doing what we are doing now with roads, especially in the north where you pretty much have to replace roads every other year it seems.
Absolutely. It's out of the box creativity, but in this particular case, I think it might be ineffective.

P Masta Flex
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
20 - 01-19-2011, 11:53
they're right though, they really need to think small scale before they think big like highways

Page 1 of 18

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Fixing the roads, changing America

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
alex dare levert , alex knapik-levert , ass mode , goshin , very ugly goshin