[another photo thrd] creative lighting

post a photo you've taken that you actually like. I feel like every time you've posted a photo you post it with some disclaimer that you don't like it or you know it sucks.

Maybe I'm wrong though, I usually ignore these threads.

It looks like you have lit the scene incorrectly. I have an SB600 and get great results. The only thing that a 900 is going to give you is more power and that doesn't look like the problem. I shoot my 600 at 1/4 to 1/16 all the time and get great results. I'm new to it but getting better. You can't go wrong with getting an extra light though. When I get another one I'll get a 900 but for now I'm not really seeing the need.

If you do go with a 900 you should be able to use the 600 as well.

Try shooting manual flash, off camera, starting with 1/4 power and see what your results are.

post a photo you've taken that you actually like. I feel like every time you've posted a photo you post it with some disclaimer that you don't like it or you know it sucks.

Maybe I'm wrong though, I usually ignore these threads.

could always check the latest recent photo thread, just sayin.

I really like this one. Taken 4 days ago, im not cherrypicking from 5-6 years of stuff here.

It looks like you have lit the scene incorrectly. I have an SB600 and get great results. The only thing that a 900 is going to give you is more power and that doesn't look like the problem. I shoot my 600 at 1/4 to 1/16 all the time and get great results. I'm new to it but getting better. You can't go wrong with getting an extra light though. When I get another one I'll get a 900 but for now I'm not really seeing the need.

If you do go with a 900 you should be able to use the 600 as well.

Try shooting manual flash, off camera, starting with 1/4 power and see what your results are.

that's what im saying, use the 900(s) in addition to the 600.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to troll you, more power to ya if you like photography and get paid to do it - but I'm really unimpressed with that picture.

o no, that's cool. im still very early on into photography and i just want to improve my work. I thought it was a cool venue, i guess.

did you see the film stuff in the recent photo thread? its shots of buildings, but some of the pics are alright.

Last edited:
that's what im saying, use the 900(s) in addition to the 600.

yup in addition would be fine, though I think that you really need to work with what you have first. You could do a lot better than what you showed in the OP.

More power isn't what you need in this case. You need to better diffuse the light and bounce it (could be just bouncing works too).

When I get a second flash in the magical future I'll likely get a 900, but that is more to do with it's feature set than with its power output. For example, it zooms to 200mm, has a distance calculator based on power and zoom, and has as sensor to read which filter/gel you have put on the flashhead and relays that info to your camera.

setup.jpg

I can always take off the cover and shoot through the 5/1

unfortunately i dont really see a huge difference :/

also, i need a stand. my shit is ghetto.

Back