SL83's Extended and Ongoing Beer Thread

earlier tonight drank:

saison voisin
saison dupont
gouden carolus classic
cafe pausa taquamari
avery ipa

everything was good. the taquamari was great. saison dupont was as good as ever.

2dvj2vk.jpg

I got these the other night and have only tried two of them, so far. The Dundee one which was actually delicious. The Mendocino IPA I tried and it was good for an IPA, to me, but I hate IPAs.

I love my local beers.
I've had all of the Sierra Nevada's even the new Black Label which is a rich stout, Mmm.
Weed has a good cheap beer with a kick, Lost coast is shitty beer, so no touchy.
Mendocino IPA is not my cup of beer, so I hear you on that.

All in all, I keep falling back to my Sierra Nevada (Dirt cheep since my co-worker's son is a brew master).

There's a local brewery here called Lengthwise, but their beers are fucking AWFUL. Everyone here loves it though... :ugh:

why would you pour a head like that?? is there a legit reason or is that just a retarded picture?

ideally, you should be pouring your beer straight down the middle (not down the sides like a lot of people do to reduce head) to both see the beer "naturally" and to let it open up, a bit like wine. i've never seen anywhere near this amount of head on Gulden Draak though, even an aggressive pour only yields about two fingers worth. so that pic is a bit sensationalized for marketing purposes.

They didn't have the Oatmeal Stout - so I asked them to order some more of that and more Nut Brown Ale.

I grabbed the last bottle of Nut Brown Ale, and then I grabbed 1 each of these:

samsmith1.jpg
samsmith2.jpg

Hey Alv, I want to try this but have 2 questions:

How cold should it be served?

Should I pour it down the middle like stigs suggested?

pour it and try chilled (~45) and let it warm up to 50-55...i like tasting a beer as it warms and seeing which flavors open up at certain temps

i would pour the Oatmeal Stout accordingly to create about 1.5"-2" of head

ideally, you should be pouring your beer straight down the middle (not down the sides like a lot of people do to reduce head) to both see the beer "naturally" and to let it open up, a bit like wine. i've never seen anywhere near this amount of head on Gulden Draak though, even an aggressive pour only yields about two fingers worth. so that pic is a bit sensationalized for marketing purposes.

One reviewer on BA said he had about 3 fingers worth. :shrug:

so i picked up 5 gallons of sam smith oatmeal stout today

all grain. need to get a mill though, but we'll be set for a late december brew.

ss1.jpg

ss2.jpg

Back