[(#)SOCCER] 2009-2010 Season Thread

ffteam.jpg

Last edited:
Nobody watched Gold Cup last night? USA vs Hon?

USA put on another good showing. Davies, Fielhaber, Beckerman and Quarenta looking really, really good.

Adu again gave up every ball that came his way and won ZERO of the 50/50's.

Defense was scary at times, Hon was able to get past a few times in the first half. We totally dominated the second half.

Cooper made his appearance, had some decent shots, but only 10 minutes to show what he's got. My guess he'll start vs Haiti.

The first goal we had was like 5 touches around the penalty box and then fired it home for a goal. Ching's header seemed like it bounced more off the defender then from him, but it came about 10min after the first, pretty devastating for Hon.

It's fun to watch this "b" team of ours play. Lotta good players. Adu is still atrocious, imo. I used to like/hope/root for him, but his form is poor as of late.

After seeing an exciting Confed. Cup, which I thought would be more pointless then the Gold Cup, I have no interest in watching this.

I'm just glad they used the B-team in Gold Cup this year.

Nobody watched Gold Cup last night? USA vs Hon?

USA put on another good showing. Davies, Fielhaber, Beckerman and Quarenta looking really, really good.

Adu again gave up every ball that came his way and won ZERO of the 50/50's.

Defense was scary at times, Hon was able to get past a few times in the first half. We totally dominated the second half.

Cooper made his appearance, had some decent shots, but only 10 minutes to show what he's got. My guess he'll start vs Haiti.

The first goal we had was like 5 touches around the penalty box and then fired it home for a goal. Ching's header seemed like it bounced more off the defender then from him, but it came about 10min after the first, pretty devastating for Hon.

It's fun to watch this "b" team of ours play. Lotta good players. Adu is still atrocious, imo. I used to like/hope/root for him, but his form is poor as of late.

i caught the last 20 min, it was a good 2nd half showing apparently lol...

Caught some on an Internet replay, but not much. Summary from Goal.com said Adu was basically dreadful; maybe Bradley actually is right about him. Doesn't mean I'll agree about his total failure to use Torres in the Confed Cup though despite reaching the final.

Honduras brought the B-team too so it's not terribly unexpected that we came away with a decent win. Our side is definitely the deepest and most superior in North and Latin America. Now that challenge is over, it's time to consistently get into the rarefied air of Argentina and Brazil to become one of the most elite in this hemisphere.

I watched it. Beckerman, Rogers and Quarenta were good, Davies and Feilhaber were a level above everyone else on the field when they came on for the last 30, completely changed the game.
Adu was absolutely horrible, complete waste of space on the field. He might have all the technical skill in the world but it looks like he has the soccer IQ of a 5 year old.

Speaking of Davies, he's headed to France's premier league, Ligue 1. Admittedly I know nothing about association soccer in France so is it any good? From what I gather, FC Sochaux is a decent side with a ton of history but no recent titles. :shrug:

If France's premier league is average I'd say it's a good fit for Davies. He's not world-class but he's got a ton of hustle and decent skill.

what in the fuck happened to Adu, he went to Europe and got worse?!?!

Ya, I don't know what the deal is. I think he left the US too early. He was still developing and was brought up on US soccer. Then he gets put into a different world of soccer. I'm not sure he plays much over there either.

Despite MLS not being the best platform for world class players, he should have stayed in MLS and built up his skill set and stat sheet before leaving.

He needs to go back to basics and he needs to go somewhere he can start and perform well. Sitting on the bench is killing the guy's career, imo.

Swallow some pride, come back to MLS and show that you're one of the best in MLS (win a title or two, lead with goals/assists), then maybe you're ready to move up.

Speaking of Davies, he's headed to France's premier league, Ligue 1. Admittedly I know nothing about association soccer in France so is it any good? From what I gather, FC Sochaux is a decent side with a ton of history but no recent titles. :shrug:

If France's premier league is average I'd say it's a good fit for Davies. He's not world-class but he's got a ton of hustle and decent skill.

it's a farm league

all the good players go to england or italy

Adu's problem isn't so much that he's gotten worse as it is that he hasn't played period in the last year and a half

he played I think two friendlies for Monaco and that was it, last season for benfica he played almost nothing in the second half of the season

ESPN said:
Lynne Frank, Managing Director, ESPN, Europe, Middle East, and Africa said: "We're clearly delighted to be able to broadcast 46 Premier League matches this season on ESPN.

"We will kick off our coverage with a clash between Everton and Arsenal, live on the new ESPN channel at 5.15pm on Saturday, August 15.

"ESPN's coverage of the matches announced today will bring excitement, surprises and drama to football fans.

"We are pleased to be a part of the beautiful game, and look forward to delivering fans top quality coverage as the season unfolds."

I really hope ESPN can manage to start broadcasting some of their games over hear as well, especially their HD feeds.

Anyone know the rights agreement made between FSC & Setanta for US? I know more Setanta packages are going up for auction but I'm not sure how that is going to effect state side.

Back