[TW IRON CHEF] Battle Ni!

BadMoFo

Contributor
Veteran XX
Today we have been graced with the presence of our very own kitchen stadium here at Tribalwar dot com. Our fearless and awesome Chairman has chosen the secret ingredient for todays battle, the arena is prepared, and the Chefs are assembled to do battle. This weeks secret ingredient has been inspired by the excellent battle that was had last week..

This weeks secret ingredient is....

Spoiler

ALLEZ CUISINE!

Iron%20Chef.jpg

rules:
1- submit as many recipes as you would like
2- make sure the secret ingredient is present in each dish
3- have fun :sunny:
f- dishes may include pictures of the preparation process and/or plating (or none at all)
$- all dishes are due by Sunday night (so you can shop on the weekend if required)

GOOD LUCK CHEFS!

Last edited by a moderator:
Chicken Fried Rice
chicken
onion
frozen vegetables
soy sauce
fish sauce
dry peppers
salt
MSG :drool:
garlic
vegetable broth
white rice
eggs

steps:
lazily chop up onion
img0316v.jpg

cook that shit, set it aside. cook them eggs, set em aside.
img0317i.jpg

saute the onions, throw in the rice for a few minutes
img0321asw.jpg

throw in everything else, cover, forget about it
img0322cje.jpg

take off that cover
img0323jrw.jpg

eat that shit
img0324c.jpg

damn it I've got a chicken in the oven right now...it's still got awhile to cook but I'll take a couple pictures and post the ingredients

ok, I've decided that for this and all future Iron Chef battles I will assume the personality of an Iron Chef.

For this one, I will be Morimoto.

(the last one, i was Cat Kora :rawr:)

Fixed your title (and re-wrote the old title to fall in line with the theme).

Stickied until next Monday, get cooking Iron Chefs!

Edit: Also placed the Secret Ingredient into Spoiler tags, a personal preference, but something that I think many will appreciate, as I enjoy reading your intro's before finding out what the ingredient is. Having it in giant letters easily visible, drew my eyes to it long before reading the intro.

Last edited:
Hmm...

I might have to do my green(a jalapeno sauce) chicken recipe or the awesome Guam recipe of Chicken Kelaguen. The Kelaguen is very tricky because if you overcook the chicken even slightly it's completely fucking ruined. It has to borderline undercooked.

Hell here's a quick recipe for Kelaguen and even it says not to over cook it. You are suppose to use a chili paste that is hard to find here in the states but I know where to get it. ;)

Chicken Kelaguen

This is the most unusual chicken dish I've ever seen. I learned to make this while I was living on Guam. Unfortunately, it has been a long time since I've made it.

The Marinade

This stuff is called "finidini." (Four syllables, not two, with short vowels.) Mix a cup of soy sauce with a cup of lemon juice (lime juice or a good vinegar will also do). Add a large, finely chopped onion and an equal volume of fresh, hot red peppers. Let this sit for a few days in your refrigerator.

Finidini is wonderful. It is good for marinating meat, making pickles, or just as a sauce at the table.

The Chicken

Marinate a the equivalent of a whole chicken (one fryer, or an equivalent weight of chicken parts) in finidini overnight. Grill the chicken until it is just done, basting frequently with finidini. Do not overcook! (This works very well in a clay pot type of grill.) When the chicken cools, bone and shred it, and store in the refrigerator.

The Coconut

Get a very fresh coconut--there should be lots of liquid sloshing inside. Open the coconut and discard the liquid. Grate the entire coconut. (In the U.S., the easiest way to do this would probably be to break the coconut out of the shell and into chunks, then use a food processor to do the grating.)

When the coconut is grated, pick it up in handfuls, and squeeze each handful over a bowl. A thick white liquid will squeeze out of the coconut meat; this is the real coconut milk. When you have milked all the coconut, mix the milk with an equal amount of lemon juice, then cover and chill.
Mixing the Kelaguen

Finely chop three or four green onions, and also a small handful of fresh, hot red peppers. Mix the onion, peppers, coconut, and chicken. Pour the coconut milk and lemon juice slowly into the mixture, stirring well.

On Guam, chicken kelaguen is served on tortillas made with the seeds of a local palm tree. The closest equivalent available in the U.S. would be pita bread, rather than Mexican tortillas.

Chef MoriMoFo, your first dish?

Chairman, I have prepared chicken three ways as an appetizer

I begin with Gotlet chicken, or a drumette marinated and fried to you round eyes, this succulent dish is marinated in oyster sauce and light soy with some saki and egg.

begin by assembling your ingredients
287htvb.jpg

then pull the meat to a ball at the end of the chicken
2nan33r.jpg

and repeat
23idq8n.jpg

build your marinade and your batter, marinade the chicken and set aside, let marinade for about an hour or so (at least)
rj2n1e.jpg

at this time I made the sweet and sour sauce for the dishes
30dl9ir.jpg

now assemble ingredients for chee pow kai (paper wrapped chicken)
2cfebeg.jpg

the marinade for this dish is key
qqvg3q.jpg

mushrooms, green onion and ginger chopped
2exmyav.jpg

add chicken to marinade and let sit for a while (a few hours--not too long the marinade is very strong)
i2ul8g.jpg

during the last 15 to 20 minutes add the mushrooms so they will soak up the flavor
2i8yv4g.jpg

after marinating prepare your chicken by wrapping it in parchment (or in this case wax) paper
sl2pue.jpg

for good measure I used tin foil as well
1z6553.jpg

now bake the chee pow kai at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes or so and fry the gotlet chicken

in addition I made the halfmoon chicken wrappers (recipe here-> halfmoon chicken by BadMoFo - TribalWar Forums )

and fried them as well

then plate and serve:

20h4xza.jpg

ENJOY!

(recipes)

chee pow kai marinade:
3 tbsp soy (dark)
3 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp dry sherry
3 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp five spice
(mix together)

gotlet chicken marinade
1 egg
tsp rice wine
tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp soy (light)
1/2 tsp black pepper
mix ingredients

batter for gotlet chicken
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1/2 cup water
3 tbsp sesame seed
mix together

sweet and sour sauce
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup catsup
3 tbsp corn starch
mix ingredients and then boil until thickened.

:)

(off the top of my head, no photos)

Family Recipe: Black Marlin Chicken

3-4lbs (2kg) Chicken Wing/Drumstick Mix (skin on)
2 Cups Light Chinese Soy Sauce (Pearl River Superior brand is what I use)
1 Cup Packed Brown Sugar
pearlriverbridgesoy.jpg

Mix the soy sauce and brown sugar together until the brown sugar is completely disolved.

Put all the chicken into the marinade and marinade overnight (minimum 12 hours - longer is better)

Bake in a hot (180C-200C) oven or BBQ on the grill (not the flat plate) Make sure the chicken isnt touching each other so the marinade becomes a black sticky mess all over.

Eat with your hands and enjoy (quick, easy and FUCKING TASTY)

(I win - because even a complete fucktard can make this and it tastes sublime)

Back