Wireless networking question

Alvarez

Veteran XX
How do I get wireless internet connectivity to wired devices upstairs? The items are my Denon Receiver with Ethernet, my DVR with Ethernet, and a Home Theater PC.

I have heard people have used normal wireless routers and set them up so they received internet from the downstairs wireless router connected to the internet but I am not sure if its possible or the settings I would need to do it.

I currently have an old linksys gaming adapter that works intermittently but Its slow and I want something rock solid that works all the time. I use WEP so its not like its extremely secure networking.

Anyone know where I should start or some item that might make my life a lot easier?

wireless-diagram-1.jpg

What are you saying? You want them all to be wired into one device which is wireless back to another wireless router? Are you asking us if you need 2 wireless routers and/or a bridge? Or WTF?

Yes I have 3 Wired devices upstairs I want to get on the internet. I have a router upstairs connected to a wireless gaming adapter made by linksys. It is known to be intermittent and it is definitely being intermittent. I want to get internet upstairs reliable to those devices.

I stopped by and got 100' of cat 5 and am thinking of runnin it up a floor and thru the attic to the devices and saying fuck the wireless idea. I can later attach a 2nd wireless router upstairs and have a strong connect point upstairs :shrug:

Yea I saw that site during my searches... DDWRT is the site and also the linksys device name right? They are essentially using a DDWRT router and it works as a wireless bridge correct?

no dd-wrt works on a number of linksys routers. its the name of the operating system, its about 1000000000 times better than the shipped software. but you can use any wireless router as a bridge, which is what you want.

ok thats what I eluded to at the beginning of my thread. I had heard of custom software that transformed 60$ routers to $600 routers etc... It would allow an access point and strengthen signal all in the software.

if it's going to be stationary, wire it.

if it's mobile (laptop) or will be moving in a couple days, wifi

Yea I saw that site during my searches... DDWRT is the site and also the linksys device name right? They are essentially using a DDWRT router and it works as a wireless bridge correct?
DD-WRT is the name of a replacement firmware package available for a wide selection of routers. It runs on pretty much every Linksys consumer router, as well as those from Buffalo, etc.

The setup is pretty simple and detailed in the second link. You have your router connected to broadband, with whatever SSID you choose. It doesn't even have to be running DD-WRT, it can be stock firmware, Tomato, anything really. The second router you configure for Client Bridge per the instructions, making sure to pay attention to the part about changing "Auto" to "Shared Key" and matching the security settings (WEP in your case) and voila!

I had to do this recently when my landline + DSL went down for 5 days and the only Internet access I had was leeching the WiFi from a neighbor running a WRT54G with Linksys firmware in default configuration (totally open).

Everything plugged into the wireless ports was simply bridged to their router via the wireless connection, as your devices will be.

I have a Linksys (WRT54G ver 2) router already set up to do this with Tomato firmware that I'm not using any more. I'll sell it to you. I'm in Indy and I think you're nearby if you're interested.

I really think I prolly have everything I need around here as I have old routers and computers and wireless cards out the yin yang. How much though coma?

Also couldn't I just use a computer with wireless internet (which I have a freakin abundance of extra computers and wireless cards.) connect to the router and share the internet off the computer with the router?

Its been so long since I have used internet connection sharing (win98) however can't I essentially connect to my router and enable sharing on its connection and it will share with the other computers on the router? Nothing is plugged into the WAN connect this way though I can't remember how to set up the router though :(

I just make the gateway the same as the IP of the computer or the same gateway the computer has?

Its been so long since I have used internet connection sharing (win98) however can't I essentially connect to my router and enable sharing on its connection and it will share with the other computers on the router? Nothing is plugged into the WAN connect this way though I can't remember how to set up the router though :(

I just make the gateway the same as the IP of the computer or the same gateway the computer has?
so do:

router > wired > pc 1 > wireless > pc A > wired > other stuff

It's a sound idea, and I think it could work. Would be worth a shot if you've got spare parts and time. It's just that the "other stuff" would be going through 3 routers before it hit the internet. You'd have to do ICS on PC 1 to share the wifi network into the router, then do ICS on PC A to share its wired network to the wireless.

Back