Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Seattle Trip Planning
Page 1 of 3
Reno
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
1 - 07-02-2008, 11:23
Ok a few weeks ago I made a thread asking for some ideas on things to do in Seattle. We leave in a week (early on Thurs the 10th) and will be there until Sunday evening, and I'm looking for advice and info on how long certain things take, etc. so we can try to hammer out some sort of itinerary.

Things on the agenda:
Space Needle (probably)
Kayaking (rental) (where's the best place to go for this?)
Seattle Art Museum/Sculpture Park
Bank of America tower
Pike St. Brewery
Spend a day/night in Vancouver

We would like to go to Olympic Nat'l Park and Vancouver as well. A Ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria would be good too. Is it reasonable to do these things without a car, or will we need to rent one?

Sponsored Links
Animo
VeteranXX
Old
2 - 07-02-2008, 11:28
CHECKLIST TRAVELLER ALERT

why not just have fun

Lineage
VeteranXV
Old
3 - 07-02-2008, 12:02
Check out the M$ headquarters/campus. I'm sure you could get a couple TWers who work there to show you around.

Eggi
VeteranXX
Old
4 - 07-02-2008, 12:13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno View Post
Ok a few weeks ago I made a thread asking for some ideas on things to do in Seattle. We leave in a week (early on Thurs the 10th) and will be there until Sunday evening, and I'm looking for advice and info on how long certain things take, etc. so we can try to hammer out some sort of itinerary.

Things on the agenda:
Space Needle (probably)
Kayaking (rental) (where's the best place to go for this?)
Seattle Art Museum/Sculpture Park
Bank of America tower
Pike St. Brewery
Spend a day/night in Vancouver

We would like to go to Olympic Nat'l Park and Vancouver as well. A Ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria would be good too. Is it reasonable to do these things without a car, or will we need to rent one?
space needle - im biased on these things and dont care for the space needle, but i think its like $15 bucks to go to the top. you could look into visiting the columbia tower (bank of america tower) instead - its like 300 or 400 ft higher. i dont have any details on cost/visit hours for the observation deck though
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_Center

Kayaking - Agua Verde is a good place to rent (you can tool around lake union/lake washington) http://www.aguaverde.com/

seattle art museum - has a cool impressionism exhibit going on - expect to spend half a day at the museum and sculpture park.

pike st brewery - good place to grab dinner at the end of your downtown touring.

You should be able to do all of the above + visit the pike market in a full day tooling around downtown, depending on how early you start. Fitting in kayaking and the museum/sculpture park might be tough. I would also recommend checking out the seattle library, it is a pretty cool building.

Vancouver is a 1.5 hour drive from seattle, depending on border wait times (or 2 to 2.5 hours if you take a $70 round trip bus).

olympic national park is a 2.5 hour drive to the nearest areas, farther if you want to go to the beach or the hoh rainforest. Going to olympic national park to do a hike or whatever is a full day.

Taking a boat to vancouver island or the san juan islands would also be a full day assuming you want to explore the islands a bit. I havent been to vancouver island but i think that you'd want to stay over night on the island to make it worthwhile. If you head up that way you could look into renting a sea kayak and doing a sunset sea kayaking tour or something which would be better than renting from agua verde IMO.

You will want to rent a car to do olympic national park, but i think you can take a ferry from downtown seattle to vancouver island so you may not need a car for that. There is also probably a bus or shuttle you can take to anacortes where the san juans ferry leaves from. Do a little googling to research those options.

Last edited by Eggi; 07-03-2008 at 00:10..
Gandalf
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
5 - 07-02-2008, 12:55
It's easier just to take the downtown seattle/victoria ferry instead of driving all the way to port angeles. You won't need a car up in victoria, there is plenty to do/see within walking distance of the harbor, and there are plenty of tour busses to take you to places as well. I'd also suggest spending the night there, it's much easier that way.

ptavv
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
6 - 07-02-2008, 13:53
drink kilt lifter

it's the best beer in the universe

and you're already going to be at pike st brewery (who sell it for $9-10/six pack in the ****ing grocery store)

Swamp Kitten
VeteranX
Old
7 - 07-02-2008, 14:15
Bellevue has some nice bars and restaurants as well, if you're interested in grabbing dinner or having some fun outside of Seattle itself.

JodoFett
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
8 - 07-02-2008, 14:26
Bellevue is where all the hardcore ballers live.

ptavv
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
9 - 07-02-2008, 14:28
bellevue ****in sucks

who goes to a city to go visit the burbs

eMOxygen
VeteranXX
Old
10 - 07-02-2008, 14:36
My standard list:

Cruise Around Seattle - http://www.argosycruises.com/
Underground Tour - http://www.undergroundtour.com/
Washington Park Arboretum - http://depts.washington.edu/wpa/

Lake Washington Kayaking - http://www.seattleraftandkayak.com/i.../Product_ID/12
Lake Union Kayaking - http://www.nwoc.com/

ptavv
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
11 - 07-02-2008, 14:37
don't kayak on a ****in lake

rent a sea kayak and go out in the sound

Swamp Kitten
VeteranX
Old
12 - 07-02-2008, 14:37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptavv View Post
bellevue ****in sucks

who goes to a city to go visit the burbs
Been to downtown recently? It's not tiny anymore

ptavv
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
13 - 07-02-2008, 14:43
bellevue is just like socal

it's riddled with ****ty chain stores and restaurants and has no soul beyond consumerism

**** bellevue

MolimOrion
VeteranXV
Old
14 - 07-02-2008, 14:52
Kayaking is fun...with class 4-5 rapids in a river. Maybe someone can mention a river like that near Seattle.

Kurayami
Banned
Old
15 - 07-02-2008, 14:53
I really don't understand why people travel to beautiful areas and then sequester themselves inside of ugly cities.

What a waste of money.

ptavv
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
16 - 07-02-2008, 14:55
Quote:
Originally Posted by MolimOrion View Post
Kayaking is fun...with class 4-5 rapids in a river. Maybe someone can mention a river like that near Seattle.
there are about half a dozen good whitewater rivers within an hour or two of seattle

i'm pretty sure that's not what reno is after though

Gil
VeteranXV
Old
17 - 07-02-2008, 14:59
Kura has a point.

Spend half a day sightseeing on the UW campus. It's really beautiful.

ptavv
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
18 - 07-02-2008, 15:00
Kura doesn't have a point.

There are lots of worthwhile things to see and do within a city. He just doesn't understand that worthiness is subjective.

Kurayami
Banned
Old
19 - 07-02-2008, 15:11
Yeah, there's a lot in Seattle that's better than the Cascades right outside of it.

Gil
VeteranXV
Old
20 - 07-02-2008, 15:17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurayami View Post
Yeah, there's a lot in Seattle that's better than the Cascades right outside of it.

well, honestly, there is.

You've never been here so I don't expect you to know. I understand.

Page 1 of 3

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Seattle Trip Planning

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
seattle , virgin