[climate science] I really trust these guys [GlOBAL WARMING RUH ROH]

I don't doubt theres "climate change", I mean theres evidence to support it and all that. But what I haven't seen is evidence its man-made. We've had ice ages and warming periods before the industrial revolution, and there are tons of natural co2 emissions that dwarf a car.
Obviously the scientific organizations disagree with you. They agree that there is plenty of evidence that it's "man-made."

Also, any laws invoked in the us to "save the planet" will be absolutely meaningless unless you get china to sign on. We're not the only ones here.
China has signed on to some of them. They're not enforced. In any event, I'm against legislating anything regarding global warming. People are being so fucking melodramatic with their the-sky-is-falling bullshit.

I love these threads

These and religion threads

Everyone knows everything about the subject, and nobody's mind is going to be changed. It'll be 20 pages of people plagarizing ideas from whichever magazine they subscribe to, and little else

uh.

This point has been posted at least once in every global warming thread already.

Global cooling was never unanimously agreed upon in the climate science community, despite the article's tone. In fact, there were already some putting forth the idea of global warming, despite the current trend.

unlike global warming, which is unanimous!!!
uh huh

I love these threads

Everyone knows everything about the subject, and nobody's mind is going to be changed. It'll be 20 pages of people plagarizing ideas from whichever magazine they subscribe to, and little else
I would like to think that I'm pretty well informed on this subject. I can definitely back up any and all claims that I make with actual data and multiple sources.

In fact, I challenge anyone on this forum to try and stump me. I have no doubt that I could deliver an answer to any question anyone here could ask. I have a tendency to give pretty technical answers when these discussions mature. :shrug:

How many PROVEN ice ages were there? Then tell me "global warming is man made"
tin foil hats aren't a joke for just anything, theres a reason why these nuts wear tin...its because the TIN IS REAL but its depleting.

TIN IS DEPLETING!

help mother fucking earth UN-DEPLETE.

TIN IS MURDER!!!!!!!!!!!

Obviously the scientific organizations disagree with you. They agree that there is plenty of evidence that it's "man-made."

China has signed on to some of them. They're not enforced. In any event, I'm against legislating anything regarding global warming. People are being so fucking melodramatic with their the-sky-is-falling bullshit.
There are quite a few scientists that don't agree with it being man made.

I love these threads

Me too. My favorite thing about it is how miraculously this issue involving science just so happens to be split by political affiliation every time. Hrm...I wonder why?

It's funny to go into a science library and find half the books on climate change are about the impending "global ice age"
A lot of people think that the 1960's and 70's were a time when "global cooling" was being pushed by the scientific community. Despite a handful of popular media articles, this really wasn't the case. The classic climate dynamics papers from that era talk about how rising anthropogenic CO2 would likely overcome the recent cooling trend.

In fact, what is incredible about those papers is the prescience shown by the authors... and if you take the time to read them (and that's something I highly recommend for anyone interested in doing their own background research) you will find that the issues that these scientists were discussing in their papers are the same issues that many skeptics bring up today... as if they are fresh criticisms. They are not. And contrary to popular opinion, global warming - not global cooling - was a bigger concern among the scientific community during the 1960's/70's.

You will notice that even by the 1960's, climate scientists were aware of the contribution that volcanoes, solar activity and other natural phenomenon were playing in climate change. The public is still trying to catch up to what most scientists knew over 40 years ago.

The articles are relatively easy to read to boot...

- Sawyer, 1972 (Nature)
"Man-made carbon dioxide and the 'greenhouse' effect"
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v239/n5366/abs/239023a0.html

- Budyko, 1969 (Tellus)
"The effect of solar radiation on the climate of the earth"

- Sellers, 1969 (J. Applied Met.)
"A global climatic model based on the energy balance of the earth atmosphere system"

(I can scan in PDFs of Budyko and Sellers if you can't get electronic access to them through your school).

In fact, I challenge anyone on this forum to try and stump me. I have no doubt that I could deliver an answer to any question anyone here could ask. I have a tendency to give pretty technical answers when these discussions mature. :shrug:

I challenge you to point me to a study that explains what "global climate" is without reference to some mystical, all inclusive number.

"In addition, the recurring nature of the climate regime shifts suggests that they are natural non-anthropogenic-forced phenomena that have nothing to do with the historical increase in the air's CO2 content. This conclusion is particularly noteworthy in light of the fact that the study of Seidel and Lanzante (2004) suggests, in their words, that "it is reasonable to consider most of the warming during 1958-2001 to have occurred at the time of the climate 'regime shift,' modeled here at the start of 1977." Consequently, the complementary findings of these two studies do much to relieve anthropogenic CO2 emissions of responsibility for the global warming of the last fifty or more years."

http://www.co2science.org/articles/V11/N27/C2.php

Back