WinVista Beta 2 free

depending on how i like it, i'll most likely pay for it.

I'm just so over using pirated xp installs and invalid keys. Is it really that much of a hassle to splurge some $ on a legit copy of an OS? You won't be buying another one for a good 5 years anyways.

call me kooky but I have always had legit OSes <-- yeah, that seems to work.

Just wondering if it will be worth dumping XP.. guess I'll try it out and see

Boy, really runs like crap on the computer in my office. Not like the computer is a beast but boy does it run like shit.

Doesn't mean much, it's just a beta. But the WinXP beta ran a lot better way back when.

Stinkfist said:
...I just wish i could move this damn gadget bar to the other monitor.

If you go into the Windows Sidebar settings from the system tray, there's an option to choose which monitor it's on.

MST3K-rules said:
Boy, really runs like crap on the computer in my office. Not like the computer is a beast but boy does it run like shit.

Doesn't mean much, it's just a beta. But the WinXP beta ran a lot better way back when.

Have you tried it with Aero turned off? On my laptop I actually find it to be faster than XP in some ways, but then again I'm using a ReadyBoost SD card in Vista which XP can't.

There are some really nice things about the beta, but I don't think there's enough to force me to upgrade right away. Maybe when some cool DirectX 10 games come out.

finally got it set up, ended up just having to format my whole main drive and fresh install it. posting from it right now.

vista3ul.jpg

Mooley said:
Looks very pretty. I aint using no main drive for this shit though .. That's what spares are for.
my spare has 38 gigs of music on it, no way i'm risking losing all that :shock:

I'll poke around in vista for a few days, and probably go back to xp then. Idk how long i can last without AIM :| (as sad as that is)

The interface is a lot nicer but it's nothing revolutionary. It's just all a lot cleaner and nicer. Not sure I like the default dark color scheme. Office 2007 in particular looks real ugly with the grey and black default vista scheme.

I still think it's a nice improvement overall.

jtherrien said:
If you go into the Windows Sidebar settings from the system tray, there's an option to choose which monitor it's on.
doh....i misread that completely...thought it said something else. thanks :)

pyrot3chnic said:
so wheres all the pretty 3d stuff i've heard so much about? all i've seen so far is the regular 2d xp layout..

I haven't seen anything "3d". What did you mean exactly? Ill go check it out.

edit: just found flip-3d.. win+ctrl+tab

anything else?

Last edited:
triple said:
I haven't seen anything "3d". What did you mean exactly? Ill go check it out.

edit: just found flip-3d.. win+ctrl+tab

anything else?
if you pay close attention to the window animations when you minimize and maximize, you'll see the windows shrink and rotate. you also get a preview of the window when you mouse over the tab on the taskbar. that's all i've seen so far (only had it installed a few hours).

I have a 5 button ms optical mouse, how do i map CTRL and ALT respectively onto the far left and right buttons? MS mouse software doesnt work, since it isnt updated for vista.

I can remember Beta 3 of Windows 2000 running HORRIBLY on my box. By RC 2, it ran great.

MS does an awesome job of fine tuning and cleaning up their code in my beta experiences. It's the last thing they do, but they do a great job.

Expect a lot better performance come RC1/2/Final.

:)

Back