Show 40 post(s) from this thread on one page
TribalWar Forums
Page 22 of 127

TribalWar Forums (https://www.tribalwar.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.tribalwar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Godzilla! Huge Earthquake in Japan (https://www.tribalwar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=629593)

CelticMojo 03-11-2011 14:00

wait.. Ca is getting hit already? Lastnight/thismorning they said in 24 hours.

Trickster 03-11-2011 14:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pumpkin King (Post 16266659)
Eh? I have been here for 4 years. I thought you were in Thailand. :O

When did you get here?

I am moving to Hawaii in 10 days...

I am pretty sure Okinawa is fine LGBR. ;)

Time for me to try and get some sleep...

Been here making video games for 2.5 years.
So we better meet up before you go then. Like tomorrow. I have a movie audition Sunday, then work until next weekend.

L. Spiro

LGBR 03-11-2011 14:01

for those who like pics: Japan earthquake and tsunami: The moment mother nature engulfed a nation | Mail Online

and im not tryin to call her, shes at a resort just off the island - no phone or internet there. she'll have to take the ferry to ishigaki and then lemme know but from what im hearing theres literally no damage outside of the sendai metro region which is pretty ****ing awesome.

Trickster 03-11-2011 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yakuza (Post 16266668)
wait.. Ca is getting hit already? Lastnight/thismorning they said in 24 hours.

21 hours to reach Chile/south of South America.
Come on kid.

L. Spiro

HumDumpin 03-11-2011 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trickster (Post 16266649)
Cry me a river Vet++.
I have plenty you want to see. But no reason to share.

L. Spiro

Wasn't talkin' about you bro, why's it always got to be about you?

:chill:

Trickster 03-11-2011 14:03

This site has over 100 pictures.
Hundreds killed in tsunami after 8.9 Japan quake - Yahoo! News

However she is not safe any many of the islands, even in the south.
Many of the waves are larger than some of the islands.

L. Spiro

JoMo 03-11-2011 14:03

TOKYO (AP) - Japanese authorities will release slightly radioactive vapor to ease pressure at nuclear reactor whose cooling system failed.
The failure occurred after a power outage caused by Friday's massive earthquake off northeastern Japan.

Japan's nuclear safety agency says pressure inside one of six boiling water reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi plant had risen to 1.5 times the level considered normal.

The agency said the radioactive element in the vapor that will be released would not affect the environment or human health.

triple 03-11-2011 14:04

Really worried about that nuke plant. I heard on cnn with the amount of material still in that reactor, a meltdown would be worse than chernobyl.

Trickster 03-11-2011 14:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by DealyRrunk (Post 16266680)
Wasn't talkin' about you bro, why's it always got to be about you?

:chill:

Why not?

L. Spiro

LGBR 03-11-2011 14:04

do you think michael j. fox would've noticed the earthquake

Trickster 03-11-2011 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by triple (Post 16266692)
Really worried about that nuke plant. I heard on cnn with the amount of material still in that reactor, a meltdown would be worse than chernobyl.

Any word which way the fallout would drift?

L. Spiro

Baby Bew 03-11-2011 14:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by triple (Post 16266692)

i heard on cnn that if a terrorist detonated a nuclear bomb in downtown new york it would be worse than hiroshima

Pagy 03-11-2011 14:09

Stop signing every post you ****ing spaz

Special---K 03-11-2011 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trickster (Post 16266710)
Any word which way the fallout would drift?

L. Spiro

directly toward monster island

LGBR 03-11-2011 14:09

Fling :D

Flyersfan 03-11-2011 14:10

robots

-Flyersfan

Goshin 03-11-2011 14:11

meltdowns dont happen in phase 3 and above nuclear reactors
and certainly not in ones built to western standards

meltdown at 3 mile island did absolutely **** all, BESIDES ruin nuclear technology in america for 4 decades (and also destroy any chance at a viable space program)

Special---K 03-11-2011 14:12

another 6.6 aftershock just reported in Japan

jesus

HumDumpin 03-11-2011 14:12

I doubt we'd see the same issues that the Russians experienced with their meltdown, where their primary containment dome actually tipped over because of poor construction and materials.

I certainly wouldn't want to be working there right now though.

Gow 03-11-2011 14:13

Quote:

Basic Nuclear Plant Safety Primer for Everyone.

The Fukushima Daiichi power plant is a Boiling Water Reactor. It is both moderated (what causes fission) and cooled (what stops the nuclear fuel/waste from getting so hot it melts) by water.

The plant was scrammed (immediately stopped) after the earthquake by inserting control rods (boron-infused 'rods' that prevent further fissions from taking place (by eating up all the neutrons necessary to initiate fission). This happened successfully. The plant is "shut down."

However, after the plant is shut down, there are still certain elements called "delayed neutron precursors" that will STILL released neutrons for some time period after the plant is shut down. These are what cause heat to accrue in a reactor that should theoretically be "shut down". This is why cooling needs to be provided in a typical 2nd generation light-water reactor (what most reactors in the world are) for a good while after shutdown.

Without cooling water, the likely "worst case" will be the reactor pressure vessel (RPV) building up heat, which builds up pressure, which could cause a rupture of the vessel. The fuel rods will spill out radioactive contents, fires might break out, and the reactor is basically a lost cause.

And how does that affect the general populace in terms of radioactive dose?
-Not at all.

The RPV is surrounded by a containment facility designed from the ground up to withstand everything short of hydrogen bombs. Given the semi-spherical distance from the RPV an explosion would have to travel to break through the containment vessel, it is fundamentally impossible (given the energy density the RPV is capable of containing) for there to be straight up "radioactive smoke" or such getting outside of containment. The containment building is constructed to prevent EXACTLY this emergency.

So while this is a worrying emergency, and could represent billions of lost dollars a mess to clean up should the WORST come about, it will still not be another Chernobyl. And given the efforts underway to provide cooling and the fact that the fuel rods are still not exposed to air (When the real danger of fuel melting can occur), there is still time to stop this loss of coolent accident (LOCA).

So we SHOULD worry about this reactor problem, but not for the reason most anti-nuclear activists would have you believe.

Show 40 post(s) from this thread on one page